main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Census & Games 2010 Pokemon Draft (your champion: MandaloreYak!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [image=http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/d/d2/Pok%C3%A9mon_logo_English.png/800px-Pok%C3%A9mon_logo_English.png]

The Participants

The Commissioner: Only one of these. The person who maintains the draft list, randomizes the draft order, posts matches, keeps track of scores, and generally does everything else that needs to be done to ensure the draft runs smoothly.

The Judges: There are three of these. It's their job to decide who wins the matches. They (sometimes) listen to arguments from GMs, and (sometimes) provide breakdowns on their reactions to picks during the drafting process.

The General Managers (GMs): The eight of you. Your job is to assemble your teams through the drafting process, submit your team's order of battle, and (hopefully) offer arguments as to why you think your Pokémon should win its match.

Assembling a Team

The main part of the draft. You, the GM (or prospective GM), must select six Pokémon and one trainer with which to do battle. Once the required eight GMs have signed up, the drafting order will be posted, which is how we keep track of whose turn it is to pick. When it's your turn, you have 24 hours to post (or PM to the commissioner) your choice from any of the first 479 Pokémon (excluding Legendaries). The selected Pokémon will then be added to your team, and marked down so that nobody else may draft that same Pokémon (or any others in the same evolutionary sequence). So, if you were to select Charmeleon, then Charizard and Charmander would also become unavailable.

* This does not, however, apply to Pokémon with split evolutionary lines, such as Eevee. In such a case, only the prior forms of the Pokémon you picked become unavailabe; so choosing Umbreon would remove Eevee from the list, but none of the other Eons, and selecting Eevee would not remove any of its evolutions from the list.

The draft order is also reversed at the end of each round. So, if it begins this way:

Team A
    Team B
    Team C
    Team D

Then the next round, it will go:

Team D
    Team C
    Team B
    Team A

And, we do that for seven rounds. The first six rounds are for selecting Pokémon, while the seventh round is for choosing your team's trainer. The order of the trainer round will be the opposite of the order posted for the first round.

Apart from the main drafting process, you can also choose your team through Free Agency and by trading with the other GMs. Free Agency is a 24-hour period at the end of the drafting process, during which any GM may post in the thread that they are dropping a specific Pokémon from their team and replacing it with another that has either been dropped by another GM already, or was never picked along with any of its evolutions during the drafting process. For trades, you must get another player to agree to exchange one of the Pokémon they already drafted with one from your team, and then you must both PM the commissioner with the details of the trade. Note that trades may only be conducted before the end of the drafting process and the start of Free Agency.

Competing

Once all seven rounds of drafting are complete, the first round of matches will go up along with the location that the battles for the round will take place at. The competition portion of the draft is conducted in double-elimination format, which means you get a second chance even after you lose. First round, we start with four matches. Then, the four winners advance to hold another two matches, and the four losers face off in two matches of their own. That's the second round. Then the losers of the winners' round drop down into the losers' bracket while the winners advance, and so forth and so forth, until there's one person left from the winners' bracket and one from the losers' bracket. That's the championship game.

Now the technical bit. Presume, for a moment, that you drafted the following team:

Pokémon
    Typhlosion
    Steelix
    Sudowoodo
    Rhydon
    Alakazam
    Tyranitar

Once matches go up, you would order these Pokémon by numb

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    General Managers

1. RX_Sith

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    One of the 2 drafts that judging should actually be fun in, rather than hard labor.

Judges

1. The_Loyal_Imperial
    2. The Yak

4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    What's the other one?

5. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Yak said I would win for sure if I GM this one and I miss Pokemanz so I think I'll sign up. If we can't get a third judge though I will dump GMing for judging since they are easier spots to fill.

Judges

1. The_Loyal_Imperial
    2. The Yag

General Managers

1. RX_Sith
    7. Chim

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    1. RX_Sith
    4. Gunny
    7. Chim

7. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    1. RX_Sith
    3. Wiggins
    4. Gunny
    7. Chim

Evil.

8. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    1. The Loyal Imperial
    2. Yak
    3. Blu

-b

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I see familiar names. This is good. More would be even better.

Must...maintain...draft...momentum.

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Come on guys, get it in!

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Come on, people! Everyone loves Pokemon. :p

12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'd play, but I'm going to be gone for another month next week. Maybe the roster will still have vacancies then...

13. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Thanks for the post of confidence EF! You're a turd.

14. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    1. RX_Sith
    3. Wiggins
    4. Gunny
    5. Trimaj
    7. Chim

eh, why not. i'll get destroyed, but at least i'll help fill things out a little.

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Only three more spots to fill: surely we can manage that much.

16. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    WE CAN DO IT

17. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    I want to judge, will one of the judges drop down... and by drop down, become a GM.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Could really use another player right about now...

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    This is a trial draft still, and it doesn't look to be filled... You know what, let's go ahead and try judge/GMs.

20. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm pretty much down for whatever.

21. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    ditto on the down for whatever.

22. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I forgot it was Thanksgiving Holiday, no wonder it is slow.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    What's the standard procedure for judging with that concept? Judge your own matches, or only others? Also, would probably be best to have at least one more if we go that route, so we don't have judge/GM/commissioner.

24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    In mine we judged our own matches. We also could find each other to end those who judged badly. But I think at this point that's the only way to keep it goin.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Alright, I'm good with that, if it's the only way to move on (and it does look like it is). Presuming no objection from blubeast, I'll give this the rest of today to maybe pick up one more person, and then we start tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.