main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL CF Book Club - discussion thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    You have my condolences, Scott... :( It hurts to lose a family member at any time, but especially now.

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Thank you to all of you who have given sympathies.

3. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Gina and I are still keeping you in our thoughts Scott . . .

On a lighter note, I finished The Flamewind of Oseon yesterday . . .

I like these books. They're fun! I actually think this one was an improvement on the first. The whole scene with Big Bird, Vobah, and Lob Duloff in the office had me cracking up. "Let's have lunch!"

I'm going to get busy again with grading, but I might be able to read the next one over the weekend of the 13th. We're off after the 19th so I'll then have plenty of time for Rogue Planet.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate your concern.

If you are curious, here are articles from the Wisconsin State Journal:

Sunday

Tuesday

5. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I plan on bringing it up at the meeting, but thought I'd post my idea here first. I was thinking with Survivor's Quest coming out on February 3, we could do the Hand of Thrawn duology: Spectre of the Past in February, Vision of the Future in March. This could be followed by Survivor's Quest in April which takes place about 3 years later.

Phil

6. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    That's not a bad thought, Phil. What do the rest of you think? :)

7. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Im Pissed since i told work that i couldn't work on saturday and they have me work so i can't come but if i get off early my mom has to go down town at the time if she still has an appointment so i might or might not be able to come im sorry i loved to talk about this book but eh what ever.

8. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    I just wanted to give the thread a bump and remind everyone that January's book is Shadows of the Empire (by special request from Sithy) and we'll be meeting in the usual spot back in the cafe at B&N.

Afterwards we'll adjourn to Fuddrucker's and see if any cherries are lost this time...

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Oh shoot... I need to get to work on this book... (I've already read it twice, but that was several years ago. :p )

10. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    I'm sorry that I missed the book club this weekend. I had two B-Day parties to go to plus a ton of work to get done. I hope that you all had a good time.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Currently reading Heir to The Empire. I know this may sound crazy,and you guys probably wont believe me but I am trying to make a book club chicago force meeting. I know I`ve told this to you guys a thousand times before,but I hope to make Febuary's meeting if not March's. I`m going back to read the beginning EU,to carry up a good conversation at a book club meeting.

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hope to see you come Drac, but "Heir to the Empire" was almost a year ago, man! :p

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    LOL. Yeah I know. If anyone knows any books that are good to read on facts about EU please PM me. Thanks

14. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    All right, I haven't heard anything about the last book club. Then today I read that someone tried to pick Hawkbat up! I've got to hear what went on at this thing.

15. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    No, I think you are getting confused with Capricon, when Hazmatt picked up Hawkbat and put him in the ice bin. :D

But I believe Erica's quest to go to prom with Hawkbat actually started up at the holiday party.

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    You sure? She asked him about it at the SOTE book club.

17. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Right, which was in January, and last time I checked January 2004 came after December 2003, and December was when we had the holiday party. See how that works?
    December Holiday Party, Erica asks Hawkbat
    January Book Club Erica asks Hawkbat again.
    Obviously you and Dan were not paying enough attention during the party, or it it that the viewing of the Holiday Special has broken your young mind? (Then again, it could be the beating that you got from the girls.) :)

18. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    You're right, Carrie. I've asked twice, I have no shame when it comes to annoying/pestering/horrifying the youth.

19. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Do you have shame about anything else, Erica? ;)

If I remember correctly, this month's book is "Spectre of the Past", followed by "Vision of the Future" in March and then the new book (which is out now) in April. Is that wrong?

20. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    <Kosh Voice> Yes </Kosh Voice>

21. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes, that's wrong? Yes, that's right? Arrrgh! That damned Kosh voice is so frustrating!

*raising fists to the sky* KHAAAAAAAAAN!!!

22. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Muhahahaha!

I knew you would enjoy that. Yes, you got the order correct.

23. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    I've located my copy of Spectre of the Past, which is good since that's the one we have to read first. Unfortunately, my copy of Vision of the Future is missing... or else I never bought it, just borrowed it. Damn. I'd hate to buy another copy unneccessarily... good thing there's a library close at hand, huh? ;)

Oh, wait. That's the bookstore. I always get them confused....

24. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    if you want i can check out the reused book shop in skokie soft covers are like 3 bucks.

25. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Dude, I work in a bookstore. Employee discount? Hello? ;)

Actually, tonight I'm going to check and see if VOTF is available as a hardcover bargain book. Sometimes those can be ordered, if there were enough of them available...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.