main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Discovering a whole new world on this board. I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory both film and music. While I enjoyed the original, this was far better and left the first showing of it ( had seen it 3 times) on my way to look for the music.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Awesome! :D

3. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    What're you talking about? I'd put Spider-man in the top 5 superhero themes of all time! I find myself whistling tha tone all the time!
    Duuuuuuh-duuuuuh, duh,duh,duuuuuuhhh...

I find it incredibly recognizeable, and more enjoyable than the Batman theme (though I admit that Batman is the more recognizeable of the two.)

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I just don't hear it...

5. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Well, it's pretty easy to hear... it's that one that the main credits start with. ;)

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't find it remotely recognizable, catchy or interesting... However, this thread is not about Spiderman. It's about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

7. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    And yet without Spider-man, the thread gets burried. ;)

One thing I have noticed about CATCF- Oompa Loompa Land really grows on you after the first week...

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Elfman's recent output is great stuff, IMO. The guy's music hasn't once been boring or mediocre to my ears since he started scoring movies. The quality of his work hasn't diminished or weakened, just matured, and as far as I'm concerned he's one of the very best out there. And I am supremely bummed that Elfman is not scoring Spider-Man 3.

And Charlie is a great score, by the way.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, we can agree on one thing, Well of Souls... ;)

10. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    I think this is Elfman's best score...amazing

11. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    I finally saw this film last week and was looking forward to another Danny score. I remember thinking early in the film that the music was interesting, but then that darned "Willy Wonka" song (with the stupid puppets) interrupted my music thoughts and I couldn't get it out of my head. The rest of the score I remembered being good and fitting the action, but not very memorable. I like memorable themes in movies and, unfortunately, I couldn't remember a main theme after the movie.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's right in the main titles track. There are several themes actually. But there is a definate distinct main theme.

13. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Then again, that's what I thought about Spider-man, and not everyone agrees... ;)

14. QUI-DON-JINN

Feb 2, 2005
    Well, I've got a copy of the OST on hold at the library, so I'll be able to listen to it more carefully. Sometimes after a few good listens the themes come through more than on one viewing.

15. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I love the factory theme as well as Charlie's theme. Both are very memorable, to my ears anyway. I found myself humming the factory theme all the time after buying the score.

The beauty of Elfman's more recent themes is how they reveal themselves to you organically rather than smacking you right in the face. I enjoy that approach and find it to be far more rewarding in most cases.

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The music was okay, but typical Elfman-Burton fare. THe movie was better than I expected, but who did those awful Oompa Loompa songs? Did Elfman have a hand in that? The originals were better and more imaginitive by leagues.

17. QUI-DON-JINN

Feb 2, 2005
    I looked through the book after watching the film and realized that (most of) the lyrics to the Oompa Loompa songs were taken directly out of the book. Still, I couldn't really understand the songs when the OLs were singing them, unlike the Wilder version songs. I didn't really like the OLs in this new version.

18. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Dahl provided the lyrics while Elfman adapted them to music and performed vocals for the songs.

Say what you will about these songs, but I find them very entertaining and catchy. They harken back to Elfman's Oingo Boingo days.

The original songs for the Wilder film are better, though, I agree.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it..."

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes but I've seen Spiderman films more than once... heard the scores a good number of times and I still don't hear themes. This guy saw the film once and didn't hear the themes. Big difference.

As for the Oompa Loompa songs, I think they are great. The lyrics are straight out of the book (as they should be) and the music is catchy and entertaining. I think they miles better than the wanna-be Disney crap from the Wilder film.

20. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Just for the record (and because somebody has to defend these scores), the Spider-Man films have numerous themes: Spider-Man/Peter Parker's theme, Uncle Ben/Great Responsibility theme, Aunt May's theme, the love theme, the Green Goblin's theme, and Doc Ock's theme (two distinct themes). Listen, they are all definitely there. Really. I promise.

Read this review for a decent analysis of the themes of Spider-Man.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well the scores don't really need defending as I think I am the only one here who doesn't like them. But then the films are "meh" too. Doesn't really give me any incentive to go out and give the scores another chance when the films bore me too.

22. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I just watched the film and thought it was great. I loved the score. The Main Titles were marvelous and the mood and pacing of the score really fit the film.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh Scott I am so glad you liked it! Film and score! [face_dancing]

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm gonna see it next week, finally!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.