main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Chessboard: The Laws of Power

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Winged_Jedi, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003

[image=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5026/seventy.jpg]

And I can confirm that is indeed checkmate. Well played to both of you! =D=

Expect a PM later this evening. Afterwards I will post my conclusion and thanks, before eventually closing the thread.

For your enjoyment, I've compiled the boards into a single video of the match.

2. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Hundreds of years later . . .

Korriban

[image=http://www.holyfragger.com/images/pictures/5098L.jpg]

Darth Imperi had studied the ancient records time and again and found many things to be learned from them. Patience, sacrifice, dedication. The reality of war was not that the Light or the Dark were stronger, but those who were more skillful won wars. Their affiliation could be an advantage at best. The sith had suffered a defeat on Mizra, that did not only destroy their grip on the system, but initiated their downfall in their era, as many historians agreed. Imperi was not one of them, actually. What she saw was the failure of the Sith to defeat the Jedi. nothing else. Underestimation on their side. Censol Brandl had been a brilliant military leader, while the Lord of Sloth had been a powerful and cunning adversary. A brilliant man usually found a way to defeat someone who is cunning and powerful. Therefore the le3sson to be learned was, that sacrifice was the one ability the Sith had to fear.

Yes. Yes. That was it.

The Jedi Master had sacrificed his friends. His Jedi followers. he had made significant sacrifices and despite knowing their destiny, his men had walked to the slaughterhouses of the Sith. But what was left of the Dark Lords armies? Some mercenary were the only source of information, as nothing else remained. The Jedi had, against their peaceful ways, eradicated the Sith from Mizra. What had it been that had made it possible? never would Censol have been a match for the Dark Lord with a lightsaber or even a rival to his power. Yet on the battlefield he had overcome him. Order, had been the key. Because only fools thought that the darkness was chaos. It was the opposite. Perfect power, menat perfect control. Meant a perfect order.

A perfect ordero f battle had been the key to the Jedi Master´s success. The early battles had left the Sith scattered and fighting each for themselves, while his jedi had advanced and protected each other, creating a new frontline the Sith had finally failed to overcome. A secure base near the center of battle. The lord of the Sith had tried to sidestep this and indeed he had advanced. But the jedi master had been the worst of the Sith´s nightmares . . . because he had not only predicted him, but used him against himself. The Sith are destroyers. Destructive by nature and only controlled through will. because the Dark side is desturction and the Sith it is, who tames and and makes it his ally. His slave. His tool. But Polcyc had wanted to bring the fight to the enemy. His student, she had fallen to Master sunrider, the Jedi. And Sunrider had fallen to him. Yes, that had been to his taste. Epic duels. Great battles and victories. and his troops had advanced. Despite Censol´s trap. the sith had not seen it. He had not been able to see it. To convinced had he been his enemy was a fool and him the true Master.

Underestimation.

Polcyc should have known better. Imperi activated the holo again and saw her sickly yellowish eyes watched the battle unfold. Oh this Jedi. More sneaky than Lady Maladi, more brutal than nihl himself. How he had lured them behind his lines. How his troops had lost the Jedi and the Sith had charged into their ranks. And then suddenly the Jedi. Appearing in the Sith´s back. Slaughtering the unprepared troops of Polcyc. Killing them, hunting him. Merciless. Could that be? A merciless Jedi? Oh yes, one there had been. A jedi, imperi had once been told, did the will of the force. they were not creatures of morale, but dedicated servants of their superstition. This Brandl had indeed been dedicated. Cold, calculating. Later it became known he had considered victory alone important. jedi had criticized him for that, but some had followed his example. Some of their greatest leaders in wars had learned from him. and rumors said the Roan Fel III, the man who had been so hard to defeat once and for all for them, was a great admirer of the cold Jedi. The Jedi General.

Maybe even Plcyc had seen the beauty of the trap in the end. as his troops were l

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003

A big thank you to LordTroepfchen for not only providing a concise and insightful OOC analysis, but also an IC piece that provides (IMHO) a fitting conclusion to this highly unique RPG. Throughout this game I have considered LordT to be my 'expert consultant', if you will.

Sinrebirth and DarkLordOfTheFins, you may have noticed that the promised PM never arrived! It was simply to convey a personal thanks...but I decided that I would rather thank you publicly, and why not?

Sinre, from the moment Polcyc was presented to me I knew you had a very special character. IH's 'Sin Theory' was ripe for use in the RPF. And you provided the definitive interpretation of a darksider powered on 'Sloth'. Right up until the moment of his death, the character was imbued with a sort of lethargic majesty that was fascinating to follow. I hope that we have not seen the last of Polcyc in the RPF.

Fins, first of all congratulations on your victory! And thank you for bringing us a Jedi General for the ages in Censol Brandl. Rarely have I seen a roleplayer capture the soul of what it means to be a Jedi Master, and more specifically a Jedi Master at war. It was an honour to have guided you in your crafting of such a nuanced and intimate portrait. As with Polcyc, I am keen to see Censol return someday.

Finally, a word on this game in general. First and foremost, it was an experiment. There were aspects that did not work. There were aspects I would change were I to do it again (perhaps have the story take place on a galaxy-wide scale, for example, or have other players roleplay some of the more significant 'pieces'). And then there were aspects that worked even better than I expected. We reached the end of the match, after all!

Perhaps there were only four or five people who ever read this thread, but that is not how I measure success. I measure success in terms of the individual: the creative effort expended, the intellectual stimulation received and the emotional response evoked. Thanks for reading.

Sinrebirth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.