main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Childhood Star Wars Collectibles Pictures & Memories

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Nov 5, 2012.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    This thread is dedicated to sharing pictures of yourself experiencing the joy of receiving Star Wars collectibles as a kid for the holidays or birthdays, or maybe you dressed up as Vader for Halloween! If you don't have specific photos, you can also share memories surrounding your favorite beloved Star Wars collectibles from when you were a kid!

I'll start off with 2 photos that I've recently unearthed. Being a girl I grew up with tons of toys - I had Barbie, dolls, books, whatever - my Star Wars toy collection centered around 3 3/4" figures and 3 of the 12" figure line. Down the road I received 2 vintage rectangle figure carrying cases and a Darth Vader case which my paternal grandmother sent to me when I was home one week sick from school - nothing makes you feel better than receiving the gift of Star Wars! The closest I ever got to owning sets type items were a Taun Taun and a Wompa.

I think that since I never got ships growing up as a kid and had to use legos, strawberry baskets, and whatever else I could find to build my playsets is probably why now I don't focus on ships in my collection but prefer items that look like the characters.

Here are 2 pics of my from Christmas 1978. Obviously I'm distracted by whatever I'm currently opening, my Dad didn't photograph me actually opening my Star Wars goodies but you can see them in my haul piles:

My Vintage Kenner 12" Luke Skywalker

[​IMG]

The Kenner Star Wars Board Game and a puzzle right behind it.

[​IMG]

What about you?

whostheBossk and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No childhood memories for me - I was an adult in 1977. However a projectionist friend happened to snag me one of the earliest collectibles - a theatrical poster of ANH (or SW, as it was then known). Still have it! (I was also a projectionist at the time - just not in the theater showing SW).

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I wasn't born until 1981. I have no pictures of Christmas SW hauls, at the moment. Though, I do remember the Christmas morning when I ripped off the wrapping paper (despite my mom wanting us to "save" it) and revealed the PotF Rancor with "real feel skin!" I still have that rancor somewhere, though he's in dire need of a bath, as he's taken on a smell.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Those are great, PLJ! As big a part as Star Wars played in my childhood I have surprisingly few pictures of me with my stuff. Here are two that I found, though.

Me dreamin' of a galaxy far, far away....

[​IMG]

It's a very Y-Wing Christmas!

[​IMG]

EDIT: Well son of a glitch. All I got were red x's. If anyone can offer some tech help I'll try again. Failing that, you can see my bed sheets in my Facebook album...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...t=a.1530226413947.2073125.1183321520&refid=56

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think you need to upload the photos to Photobucket or something else, it doesn't look like this site understands what Facebook links mean.

The one w/ you in bed surrounded by your SW sheets is cute!

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It could be that Facebook wants you to sign in before viewing them. I can't see anything at that link other than a sign in request at the top of the page. Photobucket is probably a better bet.

7. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    LOL! Cute pics! You look just like my sister in that picture. She was 7yrs old in 1978 and I swear your pics could be our family Xmas pics. I even showed my mother who was amazed at the likeness. My sister was the SW nut at that point and interestingly enough received the same presents in the pictures - in love with Luke and had big plans of marriage. Weeeiiirrrddddd.... I swear if the adults weren't in the pictures, I would think you were her all this time. I'll have to see if I can dig up those pics to post unless she has commandeered them and hidden them. She likes to pretend she was born tall, super blonde, modelesque with good eyesight.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Huh - well that's strange, then again kids do look similar when they're young. Would be interested to see her pics though. It was a good Xmas that year. Somewhere I have a pic of me holding up my 12" Han Solo that I got probably for my Bday the next year.

9. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    You guys make me wish that I didn't wait so long to get into Star Wars. :(
    I didn't watch it until earlier this year, and by then I was already an adult.

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's never too late to get into Star Wars. For adults, that's where living vicariously through your younglings comes in.

I don't have any kids of my own, but I have a niece and two nephews whom I can spoil!

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'd actually just tried cutting and pasting them into the body of my message, which worked fine, but when I hit "post" they came up as red X's.

Thanks [face_blush]. I think the only way you can see that album is if you have a FB acount. As you can tell by how long it took me to reply, I've been swamped, but in the next day or two I'll upload them to an image host and re-post them.