main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    The Clone Wars comics are now going to be squashed into a one month period, like Marvel?

I don't think it will screw Kenobi and Skyalker's timelines very much - may affect Vos, but if we're lucky, they'll just cut down on the time he spends in that Brentaal prison cell.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Psh.
    I've seen it all before.
    From the Nagai to Kessel to Boba Fett, and back... I was there.
    And whenever I complained, Havac, you were always like 'there's nothing wrong with continuity!'
    Psh.

3. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    In regards to Vos, I was always confused as to where that guy was and for how long he was there and what the kriff he was doing. I just lump it under "He walks the shadows, brooding and being naughty". So, even before this new CGI CW, I was still totally clueless as to his place in the timeline. [face_hypnotized]

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Ok...the "you got served" april fools banner from last year just went up.

Does that have something to do with this thread?

I might actually be amused by this.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Probably Havac wreaking havoc.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I put it up. Because the other outright wacky canon-war April Fools' banner was broken.

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    So...wait...does Vos' arc have to get pushed around because of the show?

It would seem to me that most stuff that isn't directly related to the PT Big Three is a-okay.

8. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    The thing is that Vos coming back to the Jedi is the same issue that Anakin gets his scar. So it would compress his dark side jaunt to a month or two at best.

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Non-Skywalker, non-Kenobi Jedi stuff should be mostly fine... maybe? Though, the Jabiim arc is going to be a problem, especially since Ki-Adi takes Anakin as a tempadawan afterwards...

However, I have to say this... hold on a sec. Calm down. Take a breath. We don't know what's in the works yet. We don't know what the plan is, we're just speculating. Hopefully we'll get an official explanation soon.

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Note all the hoops we had to jump through for just three theatrical-length movies. This is going to be a *series*.

I wish them luck. They will need it.

I don't think we ever got "good bodings" when it came to the live-action show and pre-existing continuity.

People used to say the same about me and Star Trek, until they got even worse about their continuity than they had been. Now, Trek is a pretty peripheral part of my existence, my handle notwithstanding.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, Vos appears in arcs alongside Obi-Wan and Anakin -- most significantly, Dreadnaughts of Rendili.

There's also the plethora of smaller characters who appear alongside the majors and who might get screwed by a shift. Then there's the fact that all the Clone Wars TPBs are going look pretty schizophrenic now, and that pretty much every single date given for anything during the Clone Wars is suspect. It's about as close as you can get to a reboot and not actually be a reboot . . . but who the hell knows until LFL actually speaks up and says, "Here's what we're doing" instead of trying to sneak it in through the back door and see if anyone notices.

Basically, color me disappointed in LFL and their attitude to canon.

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    the databank entry that started all this also mentions Anakin confessing to A'Sharad but never to the council (from the same Ki Adi tempadawan arc)... so I don´t think it will be tossed out. somehow this gives hope

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I wish this were an AFD joke. And, if so, color me impressed that you got me (since I didn't follow the links) but somehow, given LFL-attitudes these days, I wouldn't imagine so.

14. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Hehehe. dp, your Sig is highly appropriate for this thread and the general feeling i think.

15. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    You're looking at the EU tab, which is unchanged so far as I can tell. It's the movies entries that are causing all this.

16. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Christophsis on a cracker.

There's not a huge problem with making Anakin a Knight just after Geonosis. Giving him a padawan for what could be the majority of the war, on the other hand...

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    if it really will be the feared chaos and paralell Movie-EU-verse... then all I have to say about the EU we have so far and love is:

... but it was so artistically done!:_|

18. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I suspect they'll do what they always do; either ignore it or keep repeating "everything fits" and "it's all part of the EU" and mumble something about canon levels and pull out the old "from a certain point of view" chestnut.

I'm curious; if they just came out and said "Yeah, we've made the decision that we're breaking things up into their respective ranks, and we may overwrite canon within those ranks if it suits us", would that made things easier?

I guess what I'm saying is; if they just flat-out told us they were going to throw over the old "everything fits" in favour of a more semi-mutable canon based on either story direction or canon-level, would you still be upset?

I know you're pretty strict in terms of everything fitting, but the writing for this has been on the wall for some time, imo.

Otherwise PoD would have been a VERY different novel.

I think one serious flaw is the lack of a singular creative vision at LFL. It feels like everyone is working around each other instead of with each other, and there's no "plotmaster" or even plot group like with something like Marvel and DC where there's an editorial board that decides the direction of the universe.

I'd actually welcome the EU seperating from the G/T-Canon verse, tbh.

Opinions?

19. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    No, the links are legit and the changes are very quiet. Not terribly subtle, but quiet. It was a good catch.

Patch, etc. - I'm just not really quite sure how they can expect fans not to be incensed by something like this. I'd prefer a tight continuity, of course, where everything is well-protected and fits together. If that's not going to happen, I'd love to see a mostly tight continuity with points of fluidity from mistakes. I don't even mind a fluid canon (though it gets really annoying trying to keep track of whether something happened or not, or whether something exists or not, and so on). I simply do not understand the reasoning behind this sort of a move this direction.

Do they think that fans will be less upset because they keep trying to do this on the lowdown? Most people would probably be okay with it, even if not thrilled, as long as they were upfront about it.

That said, I'm happy to be proven wrong here. Leland and company are more than welcome to surprise me with a creative scheme for making this work and a good reason why it is this way.

But to be honest, my biggest concern isn't LFL. It's George Lucas himself.

I begin to wonder if the continuity things we've been seeing elsewhere (read: Revelation and so on) are less an active change of policy by the editors at LFL and instead an acknowledgment that this is how things are now? If they've known for a while that the Clone Wars was getting changed around, and that continuity was now fluid, has their response been less a step taken on their own than an ongoing adjustment to new views from even higher up that they feel ought to percolate through the whole thing? (Even if so, it's still very much in their hands: they can just as readily say, "That may be so, but we're still going to keep our end as tight as possible," though of course their end has plenty of interference cropping up, and so now the authors [if new] can find themselves in a "Well, why not?" position.)

- Keralys

20. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006

I'm afraid I'd have to call it quits.

Which would be a real shame, since I just really got started.

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I'd still be upset if that was the route they chose, but at least I'd know it was what they chose, and they'd at least have been honest about it. I wouldn't be dragged along going, "Oh, well, maybe it's just this one thing, maybe we can make it work, overall canon is still OK." I want them to either say they've got one canon and damn well mean it, and put someone who's going to keep a tight continuity in charge, or say, "No, we're throwing that out the window," and then I can sit down and decide what I want to do from there. But I'm damn tired of trying to have it both ways.

22. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Now, I don't wish the man ill, but, to be honest, I don't think SW would ever get that until George Lucas passes on. The man could be 90 years old on an oxygen tank, but if he wanted there to be a third Skywalker sibling, by God, there would be and we'd all have to adjust.

I don't expect everything to be airtight in my continuity, because I'm aware that's a physical impossiblity. I mean, it's not really the Expanded Universe, but more like the Expanding Universe. Things are always changing, adjusting, shifting, and that's understandable. But, to choose NOW to diverge into all these parallel franchises? I'd be utterly disgusted.

23. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    That's a good question. If you know that canon is going to go to hell in a handbasket...why worry? Just tell the authors to do what they think is best for the story and to sell books and move on, because god knows what's going to get hit when the canon level above you decides that Boba Fett was a Gungan.

It also can't feel too good when the owner of the company basically says; "Yeah, that stuff never happened".

Those from the UK might be familiar with the term "pulling a Ratner"

Basically, negating the work of dozens of creatives and twenty years worth of real life history with one line in an interview isn't a great idea, but people give him that because he created the universe, and fair enough, but there's still consumer/company expectations, one of which being "stand behind your product".

As you said, it'll be worse for any new people coming in, unless there's a VERY definite plan in place, because they won't know what the heck they can reference and what they can't, and the growing sense will be; "Screw it, I'll do my own thing", and it'll just continue to grow without heavy direction, which is why comic book companies HAVE editorial boards.

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    You know, I guess I have to say I feel really bad for people like Dan and Abel. They spend time and sweat putting things together and making things work, and then three years later the whole Clone Wars section of the NEC is garbage. Major retcons in History of the Mandalorians, garbage. Why even bother if it's all going to get overwritten in a year or two? Why publish an Essential Chronology when everything's going to get moved? Why publish an Essential Guide to the Force with dates that are bad inside a year? Why publish an Essential Atlas if authors are going to be free to just ignore it and place Kashyyyk wherever the hell they want because, dammit, it makes for a better story! Why bother with the guides at all when everything in them is subject to revision a year down the road? "Well, here's the guide to how it is now . . . hopefully it'll be good another six months."

25. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Anyone remember that "Tales of the New Republic" trailer that those college students did as a project? Remember how excited everyone was over it?

Im damn sure happy it was only a college students project now. If they screwed over Thrawn, i can only imagine how many people would, quite possibly literally, be up in arms.

At least we have Legacy to look forward to. That has nothing to do with really anything around the CW timeline.

Crap...i just remembered The Hat Guy and that he is in here....

I made myself sad.