main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coincident Symmetry or a Faithful Repilca?

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by DarthEternal, Jan 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthEternal

DarthEternal Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2001
    While I was reading a book that tends to be forbiden in most european countries and in most of the world generally and which is like a Bible to all that bald,people-hating skinheads, I came up with quite an amuseing theory of the psychological background of creating Vaders and Emperors characters.
    Some might think it is hard to find a real connection between the real world and Star Wars, but it is almost evident that everything contained in Star Wars comes from an exagerated perception of the reality.
    However, it is not appropriate to even compare Vader and Palpatine to Hitler, because many do have something against comparing two of probably the best SW characters ever to the most horrible sadist of all. So,I would ask you first to try to concentrate on the psychological values that Hitlers character exhibits so greatly, but not on the nature of the stereotypes that you so well familar with(regarding Hitler).
    As you might know,both the imaginary and real conquerors, both Hitler and Emperor/Vader are driven by their lust for power. Both Hitler and Vader are considered completely ''bad'' people, which leads them both to the paths of the Dark Side. Both of them choose tyranny and violence to solve their problems and both have policies against people different from them. Here you could remember how the Emperor didnt like Thrawn too much as he was an alien, which could be reflected on the Hitlers hate for all non-Aryans. they both have special divisions for exterminating Jedi/Jews and other unwated , that is,the Storm Troopers and The SS. From my point of view, there is a remarkable similarity of The Empire to the Third Reich. I dont know if Lucas was actually subconsciusly influenced by this anti-Hitler atmosphere,since it was present in great amounts for about 20 years after the war has ended. All of this should be taken not too concrete,as these are mostly my assumptions. I excuse myself for bringing up this topic,as the mentioning of the worlds most cruel and ''evil'' man might be inconvenient for some.Thank you for reading this and I hope for replies soon.

Darth Eternal - Zagreb,Croatia

2. PatJedi82

PatJedi82 Ex-Mod star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 31, 2000
    Well in a certain point of view you're right but I don't share the opinion to bring characters we love for example Vader in a connection with Hitler. I really have problems to see SW for real so I don't think of that.

3. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    Interesting stuff.

The Star Wars characters are all built from an basic archetype. Of course, Leia is not just a princess in distress, and Luke is not a perfect knight in shiny armor. But they all can be compared to stereotypes from our culture, our traditionnal tales (yeeah, as you can see I have read "Star Wars, Magic of the Myth"!!).
    Given that fact, I think that the Emperor is just the archetype of the tyran. He can be compared with any of our modern ones.

4. DarthEternal

DarthEternal Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2001
    I still cant believ that people actaully answered this one..
    I was just wondering if Star Wars actually did have any relation to reality...

5. PatJedi82

PatJedi82 Ex-Mod star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 31, 2000
    Don't be suprise. I saw much more heavier discussion about SW and reality.

One is sure, George took a lot of stuff from old mythologie which we see in every culture on this world.

6. LadyJade

LadyJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2000
    I agree with Nwalme Jade: Read "Magic of the Myth" - many origins of SW are explained there. It's quite interesting.

And about the comparison with SW and the Third Reich: Maybe some things inspired GL (like the the air-battles which he used to create the space-battles with X-Wings and so on, the Stormtroopers (in German: Sturmtruppen) and some Imperial uniforms).

But we don't know enough about Anakin's motivations to give in to the Dark Side to compare him with Hitler.

But speaking about historical coincidents the fall of the ancient Roman Republic comes to my mind. They had a Republic first before it became weak and some (powerhungry?) person became strong enough to establish an Empire. They had a Senate who lost it's influence. Everybody was interested in his own business. Sounds familiar - doesn't it?

Altogether I won't take SW from a historical point of view. It's dealing about achetypical characters and situations (good against evil). And I guess that's why it is so successful. Everybody can read it from his / her own point of view because it is about things which are generally accepted.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think it's inevitable that the empire could be compared to the third reich. Both are empires ruled by madmen and they both have a very high military standard. I think it's very possible that GL took some inspiration from the third reich, just look at the costumes and design.

8. LadyJade

LadyJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2000
    That's no contradiction to my last statement because everybody can interpret SW from his / her own point of view. If the Empire reminds you to the Third Reich it's ok. But it can be seen from other points of view too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.