main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Combining the Universes (The crossover discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well since the other crossover thread has been dead for a couple years now, I figured I would branch out a little and make my own. Since this is my first time doing this I am not entirely sure if this is the right forum, so work with me here. That being said, on to the first discussion! To start (since this is the first post after all) I am going to keep it simple. What is your favorite crossover, and favorite things to crossover. Oh and if you have your own story feel free to add it in the post (I might make this an index if I get enough).

Since it is my thread I will start first. My favorite crossover is Darth Marrs Gods of Dark and Light (Stargate/Star Wars). My favorite thing to crossover though is Gundam/SW (in particular Gundam SEED). The reason being simply the reaction to the Gundams by the GFFA people (for exampe; "Ah look a giant droid destroying our ships!!!"). I also have two crossovers of my own: Black Moon Jedi (Bleach/SW) and The Jedi Gundam (SEED/SW). Well thats it for me, I hope this takes off like the last thread did.

2. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I love crossovers! I've had the first two chapters of a Supernatural/Star Wars crossover sitting in my files for some time now... maybe this will be the incentive I need to get back to it.

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Crossovers are great. I've never written a crossover before, or rather nothing that I would dare put online, but I enjoy reading them. So far my favorites are Star Wars/Stargate or Star Wars/Star Trek.

Actually, the genre doesn't even matter as long as the story is interesting.

4. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I don't often read crossovers or write them (though I have considered it a few times), but I do have some thoughts on the subject in general.

For me, there's only so far that my willing suspension of disbelief will go. In order not to cross that line, there's got to be a mechanic or device in both fandoms that allows a crossover to, theoretically anyways, take place within their canons.

Star Wars provides somewhat of an out by beginning every installment with the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." tag line. Okay, we can take that and make a reasonable argument that the GFFA exists within our universe. That side of the crossover works.

The trick now is finding another fandom that also allows for crossover potential. One pairing that would work well would be Doctor Who, for obvious reasons.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Wow... I was hoping for it to take off but I wasn't expecting 3 in the first couple of hours. That being said thanks for replying everyone (I never get reviews (or only a few) for my stories so it is nice to see something I did take off like this). In response to the posts though (I am going to treat this like a story if I don't get too awful many posts) I will say a couple things.

TheMacUnleashed: I love crossovers too (hence starting the thread), it is actually my favorite genre. Hmm... a Supernatural/SW crossover eh? That has the potential to be a good one. I admit to not knowing much about Supernatural, but I would look forward to reading it if you do post it (post a link in the thread, or PM me and it would be a start for the new index). Hope you are able to do it (I will read it if you do since Supernatural is a rather random thing to cross it with, and I have experience in how hard it is too get reviews for random crossovers).

Ceillean: I agree that the Genre does not really matter as long as the story is good. For example, if the author is good then something like a Lord of The Rings/SW crossover would work well.

Lane_Winree: I agree that sometimes it is difficult to get a crossover to work in that you need someway for the groups to meet. And SW/Doctor Who would work thanks to the time travel thing. Some of the other ones I have seen are: magic in Harry Potter mixing characters, the Lord of the Rings world being a planet in the Unkown regions, and what is probably the most popular, the generic wormhole connecting the worlds (most common in SW/ST stories). My own have more easily explained ways. In Black Moon Jedi, Bleach is already made up of several dimensions, so making the SW world a new one is not that hard to do. In Jedi Gundam it is just a simple hyperdrive malfunction that ends up in either the Unkown regions, or a different dimension. I am purposely keeping that one vauge.

6. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I have a very soft spot for well-done crossovers. Somewhere buried in the boards is AnakinsFavorite's Phantom of the Temple- Star Wars/Phantom crossover, so well-done. There are a few good Harry Potter crossovers, likely at least 3 or 4 years old by now.

I really don't write crossovers of my own for some reason. Quite a few years ago, I wrote a SW/Titanic one that I almost like, but I've not really figured out how to make it all work just yet. Sooner or later, I need to write a SW/Battlestar Galactica crossover. The two universes might work out well together.

7. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Lane_Winree, "Doctor Who" is a great fandom to cross with anything! It blends really well into any and all universes out there.

"Star Wars," on the other hand, is a really difficult fandom to write crossovers with. Its "...long time ago..." and "...far, far away..." placement makes any crossover with modern-day Earth fandoms hard to do. For me, I need to have an explanation if I'm reading a crossover. :p

(the one I mentioned before is more of a 'fandom meld,' with "Supernatural" being set in the GFFA. Fandom melds are fun. :D)

8. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I think that depends on the other fandom you want to use. If you keep to sci-fi, there are bound to be tons of explanations as to why certain characters find themselves in a galaxy far far away. It would work superbly with Stargate, for example. A planet in the unknown regions has a Stargate. Star Trek is pretty easy, too.

Wormholes. :p

I bet there are a lot of loopholes you can find and use for a crossover.

9. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Yeah, when you're dealing with Star Wars crossovers I think there's almost an assumption that some method of time manipulation is involved. Or, at the very least some sort of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I always just take the 'long time ago' and toss it into the trash. It's simply supposed to make it feel 'epic', not confine it to a certain time period. Who's to say it can't take place concurrently with some other franchise that could be in an entirely different quantum reality altogether?

11. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    *glances over at boss who has gone back to talking to the tech guy-- sweet!*

I'm not drawn to Crossovers, though I have enjoyed some crossover fics. I'm happy to read them, but when it comes to writing them, I feel like I'm trying to write in two languages.

Of course, now you guys got me thinking about writing one (it will have to wait in line behind all those other ones that I'm working on haven't posted because I'm picky). It will probably be something very ridiculous...

What are the weirdest crossovers you guys have written or considered?

*stares forlornly at new plot bunny: a Sith Teletubby*

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Give in, Ubersue. ;)

My weirdest one is where I took elements of Wolverine and applied it to Zekk. When he got captured in 'The Lost Ones', instead of being trained as the Darkest Knight, Brakiss and the Shadow Academy ran him through 'Weapon S'. He got quantum armor/adamantium on his bones, claws, a perpetual Jedi healing trance/increased healing and heightened senses. He broke out and kinda went berserk.

13. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    That sounds really cool, Striker! Have you actually written that already?

I've been thinking about a SW/Dollhouse crossover....

14. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi, I also enjoy crossovers when done well. A very good one..one of my favs..was a SW/ST sequel to a story called Seekers. The sequel is on FF.n, I haven't seen it on here.

I've had an idea for a crossover for a couple years, but I don't have the knowledge I don't think to write it very well..its a SW/Stargate SG1 crossover. I used to watch SG1, especially the early years with the original tv cast and the fight against the Guaold (sp?). I've had an idea of that time of SG1 meeting Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan when Obi is about 17-19 years old. I could imagine a Guold ( or however you spell the darn thing) somehow entering the SW universe, seeing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and the lord Goald deciding that Obi would would be a perfect replacement for his aging body, and kidnapping him. SG1 followed the g----, meet Qui, and maybe Adi and Siri, and tell him about the guaold (perhaps in the temple to the council), and working with Qui and co. to find and rescue Obi. Oh, and the head G---discovering there is something special about Obi and finding out about the Jedi, and trying to figure out how he can harness Obi's power for his own gains...

I have many of the ideas and details, if someone who knows more about writing SG1 than me can help me with some of the details.. PM me and I'd be happy to tell you more of the ideas I have...it involves Obi receiving that Gould worm, fighting it with everything he has,but it taking him over and thereby acting in ways Obi would never act in (and SG1 having to explain that it's not Obi acting out), (but he is still there deep inside, fighting to get out), all kinds of Angst,etc.

I could imagine Daniel Jackson telling Qui what happened to his wife. I can picture all kinds of scenes and details, and how Obi is finally rescued, but I don't know how to write it and make it plausible to SG1 as well as SW. Someone who knows more about SG1 would be wonderful. I hope it's ok to post this here, but what do you all think? I've thought for a long time about trying to write it.. and maybe if an SG1 expert can help me through it..I might be able to do it. It scares me kind of, though..it seem so daunting...[face_worried]

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I enjoy crossovers. My favorite one that I've read or done is "Wrong Turn at Nantucket." It's Harry Potter/The West Wing and was the fault of the Hogwarts House Cup here on the boards. I love doing crossovers with things that don't make sense, such as my "High Communication," in which ET is a lost Padawan. Or an upcoming fic in which Sirius Black's motorbike was an Autobot.

16. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    :eek::eek:

Noooooooooooo

:p

Although it could be funny. But Teletubby's are always happy and smiley...basically, they're on drugs.

17. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Personally I don't really see the need for crossovers, especially not in Star Wars. The universe is so ridiculously huge and flexible that almost anything can be applied to it with a modest amount of tweaking and fit almost perfectly.

For example, the female lead in my novel The People's Armor Jia Ji is the hypothetical daughter of Jia Xu, from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I came up with her years before using her in a Star Wars context. I was able to take that character, create a world with suitable politics and demographics to create her, and change her personality and appearance not a wit (I did give her Star Wars weapons) and drop her in without a sliver of conflict.

Given that, explicit crossovers tend to strike me as the worst kind of fanfiction wish-fulfillment. Sure, you could throw the SG-1 team into Star Wars, but you could also make up your own team of operatives from a un-contacted industrial planet that discovers a functional Gree hypergate and goes a-wandering. I see the later as way more appealing.

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    If you don't like crossovers, then why are you posting this here? And you misunderstand the basic point of crossovers. Yes, the SW universe is huge... and a good crossover can look at the GFFA in a new and interesting way and be made of cool while doing it. If you don't like crossovers, then don't read them.

Yeah. It's an old one called Zekk As___

19. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Good Morning!

I looked up the sequel to "Seekers", and it's called "Ward". It's different because Seekers was not a crossover..it was set in the JA timeline where Xanatos kidnaps young Obi-Wan and enslaves him. In "Ward", members of the ST Next Gen. crew find Obi-Wan and "rescue" him, misunderstanding the situation they found him in. I don't want to say much in case you all haven't read it yet, but if you can find it on FF.n, it's really good, probably one of the best crossovers I've personally read.

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Wow... this is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this.:) That being said, if you don't like Crossovers, don't ruin it for those who do, and just don't post here ok. On another note, I have decided to keep a running tally of the more popular crossovers. So far I have:
    1 Star Trek
    2 Stargate
    1 Doctor Who
    1 Harry Potter
    1 Phantom
    That is all I have so far though, so if you have any others to put in, just post it and I will add it. Also I will start an index now, if you will just give me more links (I don't want to reuse the ones from the other index if possible). All I have left to say is just keep posting and keep up the thread, and let me know if you have discussion ideas, for once everyone is done with the current one.

21. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I was out in town this morning (which was a huge mistake due to the idiocy of mankind while on a german Christmas market [face_plain] ) and I was thinking about crossovers.

Remember Sliders?

I have this awful bunny stuck in my head now. [face_laugh]

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    The concept of the show was cool. The execution after a while was...

Well, you know how you're not supposed to say anything at all if you can't say anything nice? Yeah... The later seasons were just awful. Concept, awesome. Execution... *Shudders*

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Tell me about. The show sucked big time after Season One. [face_plain]

But that's what fanfic and OC's are for. :D

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    That's the spirit! :D

25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well since the first discussion has gone out lets do a new one! Okay this one will also be at least some what simple, who do you think would win in a fight if their main weapons/shields were equal SW/ST/Stargate/ or any other Scifi you like. The only variable here will be training. This is not a vs. thing by the way, I just want to know what people think, thats all. I will put my own idea after I see what others think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.