main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Well, I can always pray that they ditch the T3 writers and that McG DOESN'T direct any more Terminator movies.

2. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Neato. Thanks for the help guys [face_peace]

I think I'll watch T3 eventually, but I'm glad I don't need squeeze it in before seeing Salvation.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    T2's opening sequence was originally intended to be much longer, thoguh it was never filmed, only storyboarded. It would show Kyle, Connor & co breaking into Skynet, but getting to the time displacement equipment just as the first T-800 is sent back. Connor then sends Kyle in after it. Then Connor opens another door where a bunch of Model 101s are in stasis (the implication being the eventual-Uncle Bob is one of them).

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Its a pity we never got that scene. Maybe there is hope for something like that towards the end of the movie series...

5. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    I'd like to see some evidence of this... What's your source?

-T_S_R

6. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    I've heard about that opening for T2, I think its mentioned in the extras of the t2 dvd

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's likely mentioned somewhere in the T2: Ultimate Edition DVD (very little about the movie isn't on that disc ;) ) or on the Cameron commentary in the Extreme Edition. I'm fairly certain there was a Making of T2 book back in the day that had info too.

8. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    One thing concerns me about T2, on an intellectual level that is. What I can?t fathom out is why John Conner sent back a Terminator robot that looked exactly like the Terminator who tried to murder Sarah Conner in the first movie? As Terminator 1 showed in the flash forward scene, T-800s looked different from one another, so why put yourself out to make him look like the first bad T-800? Doesn?t make sense, seeing that an Arnie look-alike Terminator would be the last thing you?d want to send back to gain the confidence of Sarah and young John. :confused:

9. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    John never knew what the first terminator looked like, else he would have told Kyle.

"I had to wait until it made a move on you before I could identify it"

Terminator 3 also had a scene where John questions the T-850 while actually mistaking it for "Uncle Bob" (and jokes at the idea that same model is churned out) , showing sarah never explained the appearance of the first terminator, even with the additional time they had together due to the postponement of judgement day, else john would have reached the conclusion that it could be a new terminator.

This gives a good reason why they both have the same appearance, skynet used the cyborgs in the facility as they were conveniently close by, and john connor used the cyborgs in the facility because they were conveniently close by.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The human army is shown as pretty rag-tag in both movies. The Arnie model was probably the only one they were lucky enough to get their hands on, and the resistance likely lacked the technical capability to modify its appearance. They probably barely managed to get the reprogramming done.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that scene made John look like an idiot. He should know they're off an asembly line- Uncle Bob even identifies himself as a "Model 101" to John.

The removal of that scene and another earlier to make John look more competent was one of the better things the T3: The Coming Storm re-edit did, IMO- right after cutting out all the incorrect age and dating references.

12. Galactica

Galactica Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2009
    Just rewatching Terminator 3, I never noticed that the T-X uploads a virus at the very start of the film, the virus that in turn leads to Skynet being activated. So by sending the T-X back, Skynet ensures its own activation, aswell as assinating leaders of the resistance. Would this not be its primary mission? Ensuring that its creation occours? Brings several new paradoxes up, apologies if its already been stated!

As for Terminator: Salvation - what a piece of trash, absoloutely terrible, when will people learn to let movie franchises lie!

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    How does the time travel work in the Terminator series? Is it one time line or when they do time travel does it affect an alternate reality?

The reason I ask is that if it's the same time line, when the first Terminator was sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor, if the Terminator was going to reach it's goal then John would already disappear, right?

In which case, why send Kyle back?

Likewise with T2 and T3.

Why didn't Skynet send a T3 back to 1800 and just get it to take everyone out it needed to, and set up Skynet super quick, killing off the Connor bloodline when it came about?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There seems to be a degree of multiple realities at play- the changing of Judgement Day's date, for example. "This is not the future my mother warned me of", etc. In the TV show, you have Derek questioning if his girlfriend is even from the same future he's from.

With the first T-800, it's quite possible that leaving a time displacement unit active maintains the existing timeline from changes until it's turned ff- so when the first T-800 went through, there was still time for Kyle to go through. Then Connor seems to send Uncle Bob through almost right after (since he was in the next room, more or less)- likely ahead of the T-1000, knowing that the T-1000 would be sent through eventually. You'll note Uncle Bob seemingly arives first, whereas Kyle arrived second.

As for the Connor bloodline- they, at the time, didn't know who Connor's father was, so they only had records for Sarah- and, as the first movie shows, they weren't sure which Sarah Connor was the one they wanted dead, which makes it more difficult to target a specific bloodline further in the past, where records become even spottier.

15. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    One thing perplexes me about Salvation (which I quite liked), something I don't think anyone's explained yet. Why is it that no one was armed with lasers? In the first movie they showed a future SkyNet war where everyone was armed with laser weapons, but in Salvation they're all armed with conventional shell firing weapons.:confused:

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's set in 2018, the Future War scenes of the previous films were set 10+ years later. The laser weapons are only starting to be developed (as we see the machines use them a couple times in Salvation).

Same reason why Skynet machines aren't the shiny, polished look of the previous scenes- at this poinjt it's still dirty and being developed.

Presumably one of the next sequels will show the advancement to plasma weaponry, as well as the shinniness.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Humans never develop the laser technology either, if I remember correctly. They manage to reverse engineer it from Skynet.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Either way it has to be developed and acquired.

In other Salvation news, the film seems to be doing very well overseas, much like T3. It has only opened in a few markets only two weeks ago, and is already at 164m (vs 115 domestically)

19. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Just saw it. I'm not a hardcore genuflecting fan of the Terminator series, but I don't see why this one gets so many bad reviews. I keep hearing that it has no soul or Bale phones in his performance or whatever. But I'm not sure where Any of the Terminator movies were particularly philosophically deep. I thought they were always summer action movies. Hardware, kinetics, fx, little pretense. That's what I went for and that's what I saw. Mission accomplished.

20. Legend_of_Leroy

May 16, 2008
    I'd rather watch the 3 future scenes from the first two films for two hours than watch salvation.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Indeed. T2 I consider one of the finest pure action films ever made. There was an underlying artistry to the action there - often because set pieces unfolded in a manner that stressed tension just as much as blatant loudness. Salvation seemed to totally rely on the latter quality. I couldn't even enjoy this film on a superficial level dedicated to "soaking in the action" given that the (endless) action scenes profoundly bored me.

22. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    actually a novel about how skynet evolved after judgement day and how connor and the rest of the resistance came about would be kinda cool.

lets face it, a few models had to be around to help mine the ore that skynet used to make the terminators and put together the factories and jigs for the molds.

The resistance would be quite strong since they would find it alot easier to put together a team. Although around the world it would be difficult for both the resistance and skynet to really suceed in taking over the world.

23. Legend_of_Leroy

May 16, 2008
    Watch season 1 episode 4 "Heavy Metal" from The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but if you want to know exactly where the ore came from there's a scene in season 2 episode 14 "The Good Wound".

24. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Looks like there's another legal battle brewing up with the Terminator series.

There's one producer fighting to get the rights away from the other two producers. Whichever wins, it doesn't really matter. Either one will use McG and his team for T5. The only difference to the audience will be what logo appears before the film starts. I appreciate that the real problem is that no one will give anyone any money until this is settled, but, whatever.

Remember the good old days, when films like Terry Gilliam's Brazil were simply funded by arms dealers?

It's also novelized in the...well...novelization, by Randall Frakes.

(Also, the "Skynet Edition" Blu-Ray is a wonderful, wonderful thing, in that it combines every single supplement from both the Ultimate AND Extreme Editions. ;) )

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Really? I'll be sure to pick that up in a few years when I switch to bluray. Do the menus carry over too?