main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Kinda -- they're very similar in theme to the Ultimate/Extreme "Skynet Factory" DVD menus, but you have everything combined into one single flow (film, languages, audio commentaries "interactive" PiP-mode, BD-Live, etc.). Only thing is, you have to navigate the menus pretty quick -- they only tend to stay up for a few seconds at a time (something common to many Blu-Ray releases these days).

Also, interestingly, they've even reinstated the Descriptive Narrative Track feature from the very first T2 DVD from waaaaaay back when. It's an amazingly complete release.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No crap! I've been holding onto that first T2 DVD release just for the descriptive track exclusive to it! That's awesome!

3. Bookaroo

Bookaroo Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2009
    I very liked the Terminator Salvation movie . Non stop Action !!! Yes the story is not very elaborated but the action scenes are perfect for me !! If you like special effects this movie is for you !!!

I'm a big fan of Terminator since i'm a teenager.

You will find some cool Terminator Salvation wallpapers here:
    TERMINATOR 4 SALVATION WALLPAPERS,SCREENSHOTS,ACTION FIGURES & PICTURES

Check these samples:
    ( Click pics for enlarge )
    [image=http://www.myfantasyweb.com/terminator/terminator_4/terminator4_3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myfantasyweb.com/terminator/terminator_4/terminator4_17.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myfantasyweb.com/terminator/terminator_4/terminator4_8.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myfantasyweb.com/terminator/terminator_4/terminator4_27.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myfantasyweb.com/terminator/terminator_4/terminator4_39.jpg]
    [image=http://www.myfantasyweb.com/terminator/terminator_4/terminator4_2.jpg]

Some Terminator Salvation trailers:
    YouTube - TERMINATOR 4 Salvation - New TRAILER - 4 min CLIP
    Terminator 4 Salvation- 4 min CLIP

YouTube - Terminator Salvation Teaser Trailer
    Terminator Salvation Main Trailer #1

YouTube - Terminator Salvation Main Trailer #2
    Terminator Salvation Main Trailer #2

YouTube - Terminator Salvation Main Trailer #3
    Terminator Salvation Main Trailer #3

YouTube - Terminator Salvation 4 Minute Trailer
    Terminator Salvation Trailer #4

VISIT TERMINATOR MUSEUM FOR MORE WALLPAPERS AND MEDIAS ABOUT TERMINATOR MOVIES

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Joss Whedon offers to buy the "Terminator" franchise...for ten grand. :p From the link:

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't know if I like or want Whedon playing in the Terminator universe.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Just started watching season 2 of the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Aside from the extremely annoying noise (I won't dignify it by calling it "song" or "music") and the utter cop-out of the first episode in resolving the season 1 cliffhanger, I have to say this is one of the best SciFi shows on the air. Was very annoyed to hear it had been cancelled. Unlike BSG: the remake, which was incrediblly boring, SCC keeps moving, even when you suspect what is coming next. Even when you're right about what is next, they still manage to make it worth watching.

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Just watched my copy of Terminator Salvation on blu-ray, and I'm happy to say it looks and sounds most impressive. Sure, the movie is average, but it's good for a noisy and entertaining thrill ride.

8. Sarah_Connor

Sarah_Connor Jedi Knight

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm glad (as a newbie) I found this thread.

Terminator is an *amazing* series. I absoultely love it. I don't, however, care for Terminator 3 or 4. James Cameron never really cared for sequels. He didn't care for Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I think that if it continued it could have had GREAT potential.

Ah, well, it's nice to find other people who enjoy the series. There is so much I love about this series. I don't know where to begin. But I love the way James Cameron pays attention to character. (Sarah Connor is the ultimate woman.) :)

9. GCX-15

GCX-15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2009
    All I can think is why did I have to be exposed to such a big pointless terminator from the future story that just makes me feel sick to the stomach.

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Did anyone else think T:S was boring? Honestly, it takes an amazing talent to make a boring Terminator movie. This one was pointless, boring, and often stupid beyond belief.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I felt the first hour was pretty good-to-excellent. It wasn't until that bad bad-to-black-obvious-cut that the film went downhill, and I can see how one could find the stuff after that boring (the whole escape-sequence from the base was just pointless), though I thought it recovered in the end, for the most part (excepting Miss Exposition).

12. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

My suspicion as to how the timeline in Terminator works:

Iteration I, unknown date: Judgement Day occurs. John Conner, son of Sarah Conner (but NOT Kyle Reese), survives the nuclear holocaust and forms a resistance.
    Iteration I, 2029: The resistance is able to defeat Skynet, but Skynet sends back a Terminator to 1984 to kill Sarah Conner.
    Iteration II, 1984: Kyle Reese travels back in time, defeats the Terminator, saves Sarah Conner, fathers John Conner.
    Iteration III 1984-2029: John Conner is raised knowing what his destiny is, and again defeats Skynet.
    Iteration III, 2029: Skynet attempts to handle things differently, sending back a T1000 as well as the original T800. John Conner sends back a T800 to stop it.
    Iteration IV, 1984-1995: The same as iteration III up to this point.
    Iteration IV, 1995: The T1000 is send back in time to kill John Conner; subsequent events delay Judgment Day.
    Iteration IV, 2029: As with iteration III. Skynet's power is broken, humanity is winning but some fortresses remain
    Iteration IV 2032: The last remaining vestiges of Skynet prove to remain dangerous; a T800 kills John Conner, and then the T-X is sent back.
    Iteration V, 2003: Marcus Wright is recruited by Skynet, sort of.
    Iteration V, 2004: John Conner survives the T-X and Judgement Day, starts fighting.
    Iteration V, 2019: Still fighting!
    Unknown number of iterations later: Sarah Conner Chronicles.

As of the Sarah Conner Chronicles, the entire war has become a giant chess match between John Conner and Skynet, played over tens of thousands of timelines and involving billions of pieces. John is winning, not because he tends to eventually defeat Skynet, but because he's also pushing back Judgement Day. It was 1997, it's now what, 2012 as of the Sarah Conner Chronicles?

13. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    If we use a rule that you can only travel back in time to a timeline that occured in the future your from, the split timeline idea still doesn't make sense, because reese arrived after the T-800 meaning he must have come from a future where the terminator was back in 1984, which can only realistically result in john connor never being born which is a contradiction to the story reese says in T1. If we use the bootstrap paradox it can work (with the flaw we now have the bootstrap paradox, which contrasts with the split timeline travel in later releases).

Here are two possible solutions

1) The rule I stated above does not apply, you can travel back to any timeline i.e a time traveller from the T1 future could travel back to 2009 in SCC and judgement day would never have happened.

2) The bootstrap paradox, is a property only found in the original time machine which was blown up in terminator 1, only the T-800 and Kyle Reese used it while later versions result in a split timeline.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would suggest that the "Kyle came later" thing doesn't apply if the T-800 and Kyle used the same active portal/vortex/whatever. IIRC, the unfilmed extended opening of T2 had John and Reese entering Skynet and witnessing the first T-800 going back in time, at which point he sends Kyle in after it. That delay in entering the vortex could account for his later arrival and change in arrival location (especially given he arrived in the air, not on the ground like all the other timetravelers).

That would eliminate the need for a yes-T-800-non-Reese timeline.

15. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm suggesting that John Conner Prime was not Kyle's son. Another man was his father. However, in the second iteration of the timeline, Kyle fathered John, and that's how the timeline has been since. That avoids the "bootstrap paradox."

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, my comment was in regards to:

17. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Are you suggesting that Kyle Reese in T1 is not sent back by his son? I would disagree with that but your statement is still valid, since even if it were the case, terminator 1 could happen after finitely many iterations of kyle reese travelling back in time where the original one he is not sent by his son. I think its in the spirit of the first film and also implied through the back story (eg. the picture, john connor's surname, sarah connor's preparations) that john connor sends his father back in time and a similar event to T1 has already happened in the previous iteration, but what i'm saying is it doesn't have to be a bootstrap paradox. So that would put T1 as an iteration like you are suggesting but just not the second iteration.

@ 2nd Quest, yeah that would work just as well and probably make more sense for the above idea, the only issue is what if someone was to send someone back in time to in between arnie and reese with the rule I suggested, reese would not be able to arrive but arnie will have to be there, which is counter intuitive for them being in the same bubble, actually its not that problematic, just requires an extra level of detail needed in the laws of time travel.

18. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    As we see him in T1, it could go either way - future John may be Kyle's son or may not; T1 locks in the loop and ensures John is Kyle's son, but the John Conner of the future established after T1 is not necessarily the same future as existed before T1.

Basically,
    John Conner, son of John Doe, sends back Kyle Reese.
    Kyle Reese saves Sarah Conner, dies; John Doe fathers John Conner some time after the T800 is destroyed.
    Kyle Reese saves Sarah Conner, dies; John Doe fathers John Conner some time after the T800 is destroyed.
    Kyle Reese saves Sarah Conner, dies; but before he dies, he fathers John Conner. These events take place in The Terminator, and in subsequent iterations of the time loop.

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Terminator Salvation, brought to you by the same people who wrote T3 and Catwoman! And those are the high points of their careers.

20. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008

God I hope not. Just let McG finish his flicks. Salvation was actually a pretty great flick.

-T_S_R

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That's the same sort of rationale that gave us Batman and Robin...

I just wish they would take all the money that would go into a feature film and give it to the TSCC folks to continue that universe.

22. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    No, it's not. That would fall under the category of Studio wants money no matter what crap it turns out.... It's more along the lines of what gave us the Dark Knight, post Batman Begins... And in my opinion, the Sarah Conner Chronicles was very sub-par. It's just my opinion, so don't go jumping down my throat about it. I'm not a McG fan, but I liked what he did with the franchise and I think it should continue to move forward in that direction. It doesn't necessarily have to be McG at the helm. I don't want Terminator for Terminator's sake, which is kinda what I got from "tscc" or whatever. Maybe it would've worked if they focused on John instead of Sarah, and I'm just not in to the whole "alternate timeline" thing, it felt forced, it wasn't organic. Again just my view.

-T_S_R

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I'm obviously in the camp of "TSCC was far superior to T3 & T4", but I did enjoy the first hour of Salvation (until the awkward fade to black at which point the film goes bad and dull until the last fight).

But, going by the ideas McG was suggesting the next film would use (having Skynet send the bigger HK's and stuff back in time to present day), he shouldn't be allowed to continue. S

alvation was supposed to be about the Future War- a stepping stone from present day military and dirty Skynet factories to the plasma rifle-armed Resistance and sleek chrome Skynet of the T1 & T2 sequences.

To take a step back from that progression and start using time travel again is just beyond an awful idea. Time travel stuff is for the end of the Future War story. Can't a trilogy about the Future War be about the damn Future War?

I mean, sure, if they're following T3's story the they can even do stuff after the Reese/Bob/T-1000 stuff, so save crap like that for then. Just tell the story people have been waiting for already. If the franchise rights changes hands anymore, we'll never get it at this rate ;)

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The problem with Salvation is that I didn't get the "Humanity is on the edge of extinction" vibe in any way. Hell, the resistance has Warthogs!!! Shouldn't every military and reserve base been on the initial list of targets? Where did the resistance get all of those? The subs I can understand, since they're a little harder to find, but flipping Warthogs???
    And why to the terminator motorcycles have handy convenient seats for a human rider/driver?
    I got no sense of overwhelming menace whatsoever from the robots. They seemed more like eccentric marginal nuisances or hazzards. Everything was all nice, glowy, safe, sepia-toned skies and big explosions. No gloom&doom, humans on the edge of extinction, serious, credible threat.

Why did the t600s even have a human shape? THey obviously weren't camophlaged to pass as human. Where were the plastic skinned terminators?

One big problem (with T:S and the new Batman movies) is Christian Bale. He isn't quite as unemotive and wooden as Kevin Costner, but he's in the same unimpressive category. I've seen a couple of his other movies, and he has yet to be more exciting than a loaf of WonderBread (for those not in the US, that's a brand of bulk made bread americans give to their children that is about a flavorful and interesting as styrofoam).

TSCC had numerous flaws, but was much more interesting, and had a slightly stronger menace level, and far, far better acting. If the stories had been a little better thought through and planned, it could have been awesome. As is, they were mostly good, but only worth watching once.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sadly, no new updates on a TSCC follow-up, but...

T5 will be R-Rated

...producer Megan Ellison is championing the fact that one of her upcoming projects will be R-rated - the in-development fifth "Terminator" film.

?We can?t really tell you guys anything about Terminator BUT it will be an R rated film as God and James Cameron intended? she confirmed on Twitter. The project itself is still very early in the process.

"as God and James Cameron intended"? Aren't they the same person when it comes to this? ;)