main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Corsets...non-SW related

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Robin_the_squeeker, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    Hello all!

While this isn't really Star Wars related, I was wondering if any of you fine folks could point me in the right direction. I'm looking to buy a corset. I absolutely love them and have been complaining for years that (while the ones I've made have been pretty decent) I want a professional one. I'd put the work into it myself, but I'm a student and don't have the time, resources, or equipment on hand (aka a sewing machine!).

I'm not looking for REALLY nice one that is custom made with spiral steel boning in every inch of it (out of my current buget range), but something that really hugs the body well, gives good support and kinda pushed everything "in and up" if you get my meaning. I'm planning on wearing it to my friend's fetish themed birthday party as well as just for general prancing about.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some reputable Ebay vendors or other websites that they've had positive experience with?

Thanks so much!

2. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Have you tried Frederick's of Hollywood. ;)

3. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I can only recommend higher end corsets, I don't mess with the lower end ones, they are not as comfortable and will not last.

Brute Force Leather & Fallen Angel Fashions www.bruteforceleather.com/ (warning some photos are not safe for work viewing) the have booths at major cons and you can order online. Very comfortable and well made, both fabric boned corsets and hard leather that is laser cut.

Castle Blood On line: www.castleblood.com sometimes on e-bay seller name = castleblood.com (but nothing there right now)
    Both Fabric boned corsets and soft leather (sewn like fabric) corsets.

4. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Frederick's usually won't have spiral steel boning. The may have a cheaper spring steel boning that gets bent out of shape easily. However, it may be the level of what you are looking for if this is just a one time decorative item you are wearing. I actually went to a few corset workshops where the demonstrator (owner of Farthingales) showed us the difference between the quality of boning used on a Fredericks 'corset' vs a real custom made high quality corset. Some people say they took the Frederick's corsets and replaced the boning just to have something passable for a quick costume undergarment for ren fairs, but they still didn't last as long or fit as well as the ones they finally took the time to make out of good coutile and boning.

One gal who taught a custom corset making class had her own business http://lovelycreature.com/ She seemed to really know her stuff. I'd imagine it would be expensive though.

Good luck!

5. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I agree with the others--go to the corset couture shops and purchase the high-end corsets; anything less and you will be sorely disappointed. Most high-end corsets will start on average at around $200, but again, it's worth the price. And having myself made both Renaissance corsets and most recently two pairs of 18th century stays using high-quality spiral steel boning, these things take a lot of time (one pair of the 18th century stays took me nearly 40 hours all told, between assembling and sewing channels, cutting and capping the boning, the addition of any details and hand applying the bias tape to the raw edges) so it's small wonder the prices start so high. But again, what you will receive will be worth the expense. :)

6. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    One of the biggest differences between a custom corset and a generic sized one it going to be comfort. I have had the bruises in the past from badly sized ones. I'm agreeing with what everyone else has said, go professional if you do want something comfortable and that will last. I've heard really good things about lovelycreature.com

However since you're just looking for something for a party you may want to go with a Fredricks and just rebone it.

7. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    Thanks for all your input, ladies. I took a good hard look at my budget and what my uses for it were, and decided to go for a cheap off-the-rack one from ebay. I loved the stuff I saw at lovelycreature, but as I live in Canada, it would be kinda hard to get down there for a fitting, lol. Besides, I *am* a student on a student budget and with an exchange trip looming on my financial horizon, so I had to consider exactly how much I wanted to invest in it. I'm hoping for this one to "tied" me over until I have a real job and can get a REALLY nice one.

Thanks again for all you input!

--Allanah

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    No problem Allanah. By the way, lovelycreature did have a selection of off-the-rack corsets, but they were 200 on up. I think they are for people who are hard core about their corsets and have money to spend :)

9. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Amazon Drygoods has both KITS to make your own corsets or they also sell the already made ones...and they are of very good quality. If you are looking for the spiral steel, you'll probably want an Edwardian corset.

10. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    If your in Canada, then you should check out http://www.farthingales.on.ca/ for all things corsets.
    Thier comparison page for some of the patterns available http://www.farthingales.on.ca/corset_comparison.htm is great.

They also have a full range of bones, etc. http://www.farthingales.on.ca/bones.html and tons of tips.

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    There is this livejournal community called the Corset Shoppe where corsets are sold, both by professionals and those who might have made a corset that doesn't fit anymore.

12. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Wow, I didn't know about that one, I'm drooling at some of the stuff there already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.