main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Count Dooku and Darth Maul combined into one character?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jaimestarr, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I also like that as mentioned earlier the character of Maul and Tyrannus merged is the ultimate Sith, none other than Lord Vader.

2. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    We have two awesome villains instead of one, so I can't complain.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, it just wouldn't work. Both villians serve their purpose nicely.

Though, Darth Mooku does have a nice ring to it. :p

4. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I think there should be one character.

Dooku has NO character development whatsoever in AOTC. He is introduced in a pointless meeting with a bunch of cartoon characters and the only things we learn about him come from expositional conversations with Obi Wan and Yoda.

Great [face_plain]

Retaining the library scene would have been better.

IMO having a new villain in each PT film is like Villain of the Week. There is no development and no investment from the audience. Maul would have been great if he had survived and been shown to be a charismatic leader as well as a fighter.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's what it's supposed to be like. Notice the whole 'episode' thingy and how Lucas claims to be inspired by Buck Rogers & other Saturday morning serials? Star Wars has it's roots partly in TV.

6. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I thought it was all a "one big story" thingy.

GL is always bleating about how it is essentially one big story bla bla bla.

Therefore, we have a series of inconsequential villains making fleeting appearances in a massive epic.

7. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I agree that Maul should have somehow survied TPM and Dooku, in my opinion, is not that great of a villian. Qui-Gon should of became a Sith and was in the battle in AOTC. We would know who the character is without needing to be explained everything.

8. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    what? Qui Gonn can't be a Sith that would mess up his character. He's supposed to be a perfect exmaple of an old jedi order master, if he ends up being a sith we wouldn't have anything to measure a good jedi in the pt by

9. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    Dooku has NO character development whatsoever in AOTC. He is introduced in a pointless meeting with a bunch of cartoon characters and the only things we learn about him come from expositional conversations with Obi Wan and Yoda.

That has always bothered me, the fact that he's mentioned in the opening crawl, but not seen until like the fifth reel or something. He's only in the very end of one movie and the very beginning of the next. Not much of an impact. They should have at least left in that lost 20 conversation between Obi-Wan and Jocasta Nu.

10. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    Jango was the Maul of Episode II. I think GL realized that he made a mistake in killing him.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    If you want good character development. Do not kill your key villains until the final act. As far as your question, my answer is no. Dooku and Maul have too opposite personalities and styles. Maul however could have been incorporated into Jango's character, possibly making him even better than Boba.

12. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    well Maul and Dooku's characters are pretty opposite butI supposeit would have techniaclly not been impossible to merge them into a character with both aspects although he would be different than both of them.

Another interesting thing is if instead of the rule of 2, both Maul and Dooku would have been Sidious apprentices...starting all kinds of plans

13. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    if they were combined, you could call him: darth mooku

14. runoutgroove

runoutgroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2000
    He didn't have to be a villian but the introduction of Dooku in TPM would have been great. Maybe just a brief conversation with QGJ about the possible rise of the sith (after the initial duel with Maul) and Dooku not being overly concerned or even 'anti-sith' with a hint of disatisfaction with the Jedi as well. Top it off with Dooku's attendance at QGJ's funeral standing next to Palps.

I like Dooku, would have been good to see more of him in AOTC, particularly conversing with Sid.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. MajorNerd

MajorNerd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    i agree with the folks that said they should have just had maul survive TPM and have them both in AOTC...though, i also agree that dooku should have made a cameo in TPM as well...

trash the sith rule of 2 since it adds nothing to the story...

16. The_Red_Baron

The_Red_Baron Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    Therefore, we have a series of inconsequential villains making fleeting appearances in a massive epic.

So true. Every epic story needs at least one sinister villain who people love to hate, and who they want to see defeated. No character fits this role in TPM or AOTC. There is no villain worthy of contempt. Maul could have fit the role, but he had little screen time and was killed off early. Dooku appears only briefly in AOTC and honestly, when he does appear, he doesn't seem like that bad of a guy. If he gets defeated in Episode III, it will be anti-climatic. I guess Darth Sidious/Palpatine is supposed to be the real villain, but again, he too has very little screen time, and thus far, he does not invoke a strong dislike from the audience -- only a mild feeling of distrust.

I also agree with the posters who talked about breaking the rule of two. If there were 2 or 3 apprentice Sith, then Obi-Wan still could have killed one of them in TPM, but the other(s) would survive until the third Episode. It would allow for greater character development of the Sith.

17. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I'm surprised no one's done a photoshop of the two characters combined yet.

18. OrlandoBloomgeek333

OrlandoBloomgeek333 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    yes they could then it would create an memorable character ie (darth Vader

19. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    As Ghost_Jedi said

The two characters demonstrate the traits of Vader:

Maul: The Bad-A$$, killing machine, that installs fear through his appearance alone

Dooku: The Fallen Jedi, once a great Jedi, now a mortal enemy

And also Grievous: A mechanical being deprived of his heritage and is a pawn in the galaxy.

All these traits are Vader's characteristics. Lucas knows what he's doing.

20. DarthTrump

DarthTrump Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    While it would be cool to combine them I dont think it would work because the two are too different

21. Timothor

Timothor Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2004
    I would have liked it this way:
    Maul was badly wounded and left for dead (not cut in half falling down a shaft).

Everyone thinks hes dead, includin Sidious. Dooku replaces Maul, but Maul returns alive since he wasnt actually killed. He wants revenge on Sidious for taking on a new apprentice.

In the Geonosian Arena just before the Jedi arrive, Maul appears, jumps up to Dooku and they fight. Arrival of the Jedi interrupts the fight... Mace comes up behind the two and instead of sticking his saber near Dooku's throat he cuts Maul in half, sticks saber to Dooku's throat after.

What do you guys think?

22. OB1KINOBI

OB1KINOBI Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    Combined no, they should have kept maul he rocked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.