main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ink.Knight, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Luna edit: Redirecting to the OC Revolution.

Over the years I've become much more sensitive to what people may or may not read, but I'm still iffy on certain things so I was wondering how people felt about this stuff before I committed to writing about it.

Inventing a new species: I know that this can be done badly, obviously. But if there's a history and a culture behind it and the characters aren't complete Sues/Stus would anyone have anything against it?

OC: As a general rule I don't tend to like OCs as the big main characters in fics I read, just because I ran into a lot of them in my early fic-reading days and they were annoying. But it's sort of hypocritical since my oldest characters are Star Wars OCs. How do other people feel about them?

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    New species are fine by me. Particularly if someone takes some obscure background species that has never been expanded upon and gives them a name, culture, and some members. It's a nice little Easter egg for readers of EU and comics.

As far as OCs go... I have a few. I prefer to play with canon characters, but I'll have fun with OCs as well. It's mainly a matter of personal preference. I don't mind reading stories with OCs, either. Even stories that are entirely OC-driven. As long as the characters and story are engaging, then it doesn't matter to me if they're OCs or not.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have taken the background species of Master Fay and written an entire culture around them.

And OC's; I have them interacting with canon characters

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Time to revive the OC Revolution, I think....

5. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I agree. Looks like this conversation should be going on in the OC Revolution thread, since we have lots of awesome OCs running around here and OC writers who enjoy talking about them. I'll lock this one up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.