main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG Cracken's Crew website and Clone Wars Sourcebook

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediAlly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    He will come up in the section we post may 15th. He wasn't on the jedi council, so obviously he didn't get included in the current chapter.

2. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    Oh right. I forgot that was councillors.

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    There's some material that's just been released, and to be even less helpful I'm not sure what it's title is, but Shaak Ti isn't confirmed as dead... [face_mischief]

Aside from that, the sourcebook is great, seems to be very thorough... I was a little surprised for your choice of Jedi Consular for Obi-Wan, but it makes for an interesting build :)

good work!

4. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Matt, that was the Star Wars Insider ask the Jedi Master. In that particular question area, it talks about how there were two deleted scenes of Shaak Ti getting killed, one by anakin, and one by Grievous, and since they were both deleted, they don't count. Now, the novelization of E3 does not COVER the scene where anakin kills shaak ti, but it does set it up when anakin kills the gatemaster and asks where shaak ti is. The guy replies that she is meditating. So until a source comes out that confirms she did in fact escape, we are going to stick with her dying there. Good catch though.

5. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Usually I would say that you guys are doing a great job. Really, really nice work and you always stay very much true to the characters.
    But the Anakin stats in your laters section seems to have some fault.

For ex. Anakin wouldn't have Knowledge (Sith lore) so high, or have the speak Sith skills or have the Rage feat.
    I came up with my own stats for Anakin before he trades in a level and becomes a Sith.
    In my version he originally has Starship Dodge and he trades that in for the Rage feat when he levels. I also had him have some ranks in Balance before he turns instead of Knowedlege Sith.
    This just seemed like a logical place, considering his lifestyle (and it IS a class skill for Jedi Guardian which he trades a level in). I just don't see him having so much in the Sith skills before his turn. I also up'ed his Force Points a little and gave him 5 DSP so he isn't tainted yet.

Anyway, here they are:

Anakin Skywalker (beginning of Episode III): Male Human Fringer 1/Jedi Guardian 6/Jedi Ace 2/Jedi Weapon Master 3; Init +3 (Dex); Defense 23 (+10 class, +3 Dex); Spd 10 m; VP/WP 96/13; Atk +14/+9* melee (4d8+2/18-20, lightsaber) or +13/+8 ranged; SQ Force Points use as though three levels higher; Skywalkers get Force-sensitive feat free and ignore the ?Force Level 1st? prerequisite when selecting the Force feats Control, Sense and Alter; bonus class skill (Repair); deflect (defense +3, attack -3, extend defense and attack), block, starfighter defense (+2), starship focus (+4), weapon mastery (devastating strike 11/day); SV Fort +12, Ref +14, Will +8; SZ M; FP 11; DSP 5; Rep +4; Str 14, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 13.
    Equipment: Lightsaber, Jedi robes, mechanical right forearm.
    *Anakin Skywalker has constructed his own lightsaber.
    Skills: Astrogate +4, Balance +6, Computer Use +5, Craft (droid) +5, Craft (lightsaber) +5, Craft (podracer) +3, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (Jedi lore) +4, Knowledge (streetwise) +3, Knowledge (Tatooine) +6, Pilot +22, Read/Write Basic, Read/Write Huttese, Repair +8, Speak Basic, Speak Huttese, Spot +5, Survival +5, Tumble +9.
    Force Skills: Affect Mind +5, Battlemind +11, Enhance Ability +7, Farseeing +5, Force Defense +8, Force Grip +6, Force Strike +8, Move Object +8, See Force +5.
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Force-Sensitive, Gearhead, Improved Critical (lightsaber), Skill Emphasis (Pilot), Starship Dodge (starfighter), Starship Operation (starfighter), Weapon Focus (lightsaber), Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, primitive weapons, simple weapons).
    Force Feats: Alter, Burst of Speed, Control, Knight Defense, Lightsaber Defense, Mettle, Sense.

6. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    According to the revised version of the Dark Side Sourcebook, the character MUST qualify for the class prior to exchanging any levels, and they can't exchange more levels that would make them not qualify for the class. Knowledge (Sith Lore), Read/Write Sith, and Speak Sith are all requirements to qualify for Sith Lord. Anakin was a friend to Palpatine for over a decade, it's entirely possible, and extremely likely that Palpatine would slip him "pearls of wisdom" like his Darth Plageuis speech in Episode 3 throughout their friendship. Any Knowledge, Read/Write or Speak skill are all Class skills to all the classes Anakin has taken so it's not a stretch by any means that he would have gained those skills through his conversations with Palpatine.

It's also worth mention that you cannot "trade in" skill points or feats during the exchange from Jedi to Sith. Feats can be swapped out ONLY if you take character levels away that granted those specific feats to begin with. You lose any feats, special qualities, base attack bonuses, saves, defense bonuses, and reputation scores that you gained from the levels you are trading in only. But the revised DSSB specifically states you retain skill points. It's pretty obvious to me that Anakin had the Rage feat for quite some time (slaughtering a Tusken camp with little effort, battling Asajj Ventress on Yavin IV, etc). Trading in 1 level of Jedi Guardian wouldn't have taken him back far enough to erase it. Sure it could've simply been him calling on the Dark Side that gave him the edge he needed, but Anakin had that taint for quite some time, not solely just before he turned.

Lastly, according to the Revised Core Rulebook, "When a character's number of Dark Side Points equals one-half his Wisdom score (rounded down), he is considered to be tainted." Six dark side points would be half of his Wisdom score exactly, so it's not too many or too few points.

7. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Anakin was a friend to Palpatine for over a decade, it's entirely possible, and extremely likely that Palpatine would slip him "pearls of wisdom" like his Darth Plageuis speech in Episode 3 throughout their friendship. Any Knowledge, Read/Write or Speak skill are all Class skills to all the classes Anakin has taken so it's not a stretch by any means that he would have gained those skills through his conversations with Palpatine.

I disagree. For one, it would be impossible for Palpatine to teach Anakin the Sith language, let alone be fluent in it, by simply slipping him "pearls of wisdom". This would blow his cover in a second. Second, if Anakin had +10 in Sith lore, he would know 2.5 times as much about the Sith culture as the Jedi culture. A culture he has lived and breathed for the last 13 years of his life. I give Palpatine alot of credit for his subtle manipulation but this is impossible.
    I hear what your saying about the rules, and you are right, but I would rather bend a few rules and get a realistic representation of a character in his stats, rather than follow the rules to the finest little detail and get stats are totally redicules and outright laughable.

It's also worth mention that you cannot "trade in" skill points or feats during the exchange from Jedi to Sith. Feats can be swapped out ONLY if you take character levels away that granted those specific feats to begin with.

This is correct. I substituted the Rage for Starship Dodge when someone on this forum led me to believe that Anakin traded in a Jedi Ace level for his Sith Lord level.

It's pretty obvious to me that Anakin had the Rage feat for quite some time (slaughtering a Tusken camp with little effort, battling Asajj Ventress on Yavin IV, etc).

This to me is just outright wrong. You dont need the rage feat to get angry.
    Luke got angry and battled down Darth Vader. Did he have the rage feat?
    No.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi got angry and went toe-to-toe with Darth Maul.
    Did he have the Rage feat?
    Also no.

Saying everyone who gets angry has to have the Rage feat, would be like saying everyone who wields a lightsaber HAS to be a Jedi Weapon Master. I just don't believe that to be the case.

Sure it could've simply been him calling on the Dark Side that gave him the edge he needed.

Thats right.

Lastly, according to the Revised Core Rulebook, "When a character's number of Dark Side Points equals one-half his Wisdom score (rounded down), he is considered to be tainted." Six dark side points would be half of his Wisdom score exactly, so it's not too many or too few points.

Thats exactly what I said... Think the problem here is that you want Anakin to be tainted, and I don't. Well, to each his own.

I just prefer my stats to yours... this time at least :)

8. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    Speaking from personal experience, I learned to speak as well as read Italian fairly well through spending a couple of hours with my grandparents after school a few days a week with her just teaching me a word here and there over the course of about 8 years. I don't think learning a language through a touch-and-go means is impossible or even improbable. Also I think it's worth mentioning that Palpatine could have easily taught Anakin these things without TELLING him the origin of what's being taught. "When anger rises, think of the consequences." Now...if I didn't tell you, and you didn't think to or weren't able to look it up...would you KNOW that quote to be from Chinese origin (Confucius)?

Ya, according to Gary Sarli (WizO_the_Hutt) who wrote the Revenge of the Sith Collection and the subsequent articles it stemmed from said on the forums that he traded in a level of Jedi Guardian to give him 1 level of Sith Lord, and then he "leveled" into a 2nd level of Sith Lord through his assault on the Jedi Temple. I tend to agree with this because in the arena on Geonosis, Anakin was clearly protecting Padme in numerous shots by deflecting blaster shots away from her. Going by the stats...he wouldn't be able to do that without JG6 (Deflect (extend attack and defense)).

Sure, sure. But the thing that seperates Anakin from Obi-Wan and Luke is that he did it on a regular basis. In the movies he did it twice (three times if you count the surge of anger he got after being nicked by Luke in ESB), and in the novels and comics...every time the going got tough for Anakin, he would resort to giving in to his anger and would draw strength from it. With Obi-Wan and Anakin...it was really an isolated incident. With Anakin's chronic use of his anger (Rage)...I don't think it's out of the question to say he's had that feat for a good portion of his Jedi career.

True enough. It just seems to me that Anakin resorting to using anger as a tool at least as early as the Tusken camp on Tatooine is a side-effect of his being tainted. Sure we all see Anakin as the "good guy" up until he actually becomes Darth Vader, but being a "good guy" doesn't mean you do "good things". Anakin is a perfect example to the proverb, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions". The RCRB even defines a tainted character as "A tainted character is in danger of being lost to the Dark Side. He has begun to walk its path and taste the seductive power it offers." To me...he seems to have easily gotten to that point through the course of the Clone Wars. It also states in the rules that a character must first be tainted before they can be dark. You can't go from "Light" to "Dark" in a single step.

9. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004

Speaking from personal experience, I learned to speak as well as read Italian fairly well through spending a couple of hours with my grandparents after school a few days a week with her just teaching me a word here and there over the course of about 8 years. I don't think learning a language through a touch-and-go means is impossible or even improbable.

the RCRB states that if you have a speak language you are fluent in that language. Are you telling me that you believe that over the course of his Jedi training Palpatine taught Anakin to be fluent in Sith by teaching him a sentences or making him read out a passage written in Sith? I know Anakin isn't always uber smart, but I'm guessing he would find that **** a tad bit odd :)
    Palpatine's cover would be blown.

Also I think it's worth mentioning that Palpatine could have easily taught Anakin these things without TELLING him the origin of what's being taught. "When anger rises, think of the consequences." Now...if I didn't tell you, and you didn't think to or weren't able to look it up...would you KNOW that quote to be from Chinese origin (Confucius)?

I wouldn't... But if you continued to say these kinds of things to me over a period of 10-13 years to a point where I knew almost 3 times as much about Confucius as I did anything else, I think eventually I would catch on.

Ya, according to Gary Sarli (WizO_the_Hutt) who wrote the Revenge of the Sith Collection and the subsequent articles it stemmed from said on the forums that he traded in a level of Jedi Guardian to give him 1 level of Sith Lord, and then he "leveled" into a 2nd level of Sith Lord through his assault on the Jedi Temple. I tend to agree with this because in the arena on Geonosis, Anakin was clearly protecting Padme in numerous shots by deflecting blaster shots away from her. Going by the stats...he wouldn't be able to do that without JG6 (Deflect (extend attack and defense)).

Precisely. You are right. Anakin did trade in a JG level.

Sure, sure. But the thing that seperates Anakin from Obi-Wan and Luke is that he did it on a regular basis. In the movies he did it twice (three times if you count the surge of anger he got after being nicked by Luke in ESB), and in the novels and comics...every time the going got tough for Anakin, he would resort to giving in to his anger and would draw strength from it. With Obi-Wan and Anakin...it was really an isolated incident. With Anakin's chronic use of his anger (Rage)...I don't think it's out of the question to say he's had that feat for a good portion of his Jedi career.

I guess thats right.

Frankly, both my Darth Vader and Anakin stats are derrived from Gary Sarli's Vader stats in his Revenge of the Sith Collection.

Yes, I am aware of this.

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    NarCrenor, I notice you've looked at the thread detailing the fan-made Attack of the Clones Sourcebook. In that work, it says that Mirialans have the following special abilities:

Frigid Environment: Mirialans get +2 pip bonus to survival when in temperatures below 0.
    Radiation Resistance: Mirialans gain +1 pip bonus to Strength to resist the harmful effects of radiation.
    Story Factors:
    Tribal Tattoos: Mirialans have tribal tattoos all over their face and bodies. The more elaborate the tattoo the greater the task that was completed. Mirialans gain tattoos all of their lives, each time they complete a task they receive another tattoo. The application of these tattoos is very painful, it is considered to be great disrespect when a Mirialan is afraid to receive or will not accept one.

In light of this, I came up with the following d20 special qualities for Mirialans. Check to see if you like them. If you do, you can apply them to Luminara Unduli and add them to Barriss Offee's stats.

Frigid environment: Because of the cold temperatures on their homeworld, which can often reach below 0° C, Mirialans gain a +2 species bonus on Fortitude saves to resist the effects of extreme cold.

Radiation resistance: They receive a +2 species bonus on Fortitude saves against radiation poisoning.

Tattoos: Mirialans receive tattoos throughout their lives. Mirialans with many elaborate tattoos receive a +3 bonus to their Reputation when interacting with other Mirialans, as though they have either the Fame or Infamy feat. This, in turn, translates to a +2 bonus to their Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidation checks when interacting with other Mirialans. Mirialans with elaborate tattoos have either at least ten levels or least one level as a Jedi Master.
    Conversely, if a Mirialan is afraid to receive one or won?t accept one, the Mirialan suffers a -2 penalty to their Reputation and a -1 penalty to their Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidation checks when interacting with other Mirialans.

11. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Thanks, but to be honest, I am not sure where the original info came from that says Miralians are resistant to cold and radiation. We had planned to just leave them written up like humans, despite being a sub-race or even species.

12. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I guess that's something we have to ask the guys who wrote up the AOTC sourcebook. In fact, I'll do that now.

13. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    I would imagine it's merely extrapolation based on what is said in the Power of the Jedi sourcebook on Mirial in Luminara Unduli's entry. "Master Luminara Unduli was a Mirialan Jedi, a native of the cold, desert world of Mirial just off the Hydrian Way between Yavin and Almania." If that's the case, I can see where they'd come to that conclusion, but I'm not inclined to agree. So unless they found something a little more substantial that could actually spells out that they have these abilities, I think I'm comfortable leaving them as near-humans with the same abilities as normal humans. Thanks for the information though, the more info we have (we have litterally every book and we scour through them all, but sometimes info slips past us), the better material we're able to provide.

14. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Yeah I will say one of the things we are particularly banal about at Fandom with the clone wars D20 supplements is our research. Granted mistakes are made on occasion (though I don't think we have had an actual continuity error in the write ups yet, just grammar errors or stats errors) but we do all of our research 100% first hand. That means it is either me or tron physically picking up the book that the info originally came from, reading it, interpreting it, and then basing our information and extrapolations on that.

This technique is about as accurate as you can get, and is of course preferable, but not everyone has a near-complete star wars library like we do. If you wanna see my library, check out my librarything site. (and leave a comment!)

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/NarCranor

So as you can see, I pretty much have a 98% complete run of WEG products, 100% of WOTC products, 100% of the novels, 98% of the novellas, and 98% of the reference books. I also happen to have 100% of the marvel and dark horse comics (that site just doesn't catalogue those) and 100% of the video games and most of the associated strategy guides. What I don't have falls into one of two categories. 1.) material that tron has or 2.) material so obscure no one cares, like Galaxy of Fear books 6, 8, 9 and 12 (the ONLY novellas Im missing)

What is really important though, is that we have 100% of the sources associated with the clone wars, and we are interpreting first hand. While sites like wiki and wookieepedia are great for what they are, they aren't perfect. Sometimes information is interpreted wrong, or sometimes, due to the wide open psoting nature of wikis, a fan will put in his own extrapolation as fact. I know that when I research a character for our material, my process goes a little something like this.

First I consult Bob Vitas' Encyclopedia at www.cuswe.org . This is the best fan made research item ever created. I will usually go here first for a brief refresher on the character, and write down all of the sources they made an appearance in, since he cites his work. Then I will pull out all thsoe sources and read through the appropriate parts carefully (even novels, I think I have Yoda: Dark Rendezvous memorized at this point) and take notes. Based on this information, I will usually do my write up first, to get my feel for the character and make sure I have a solid take on them in my mind. Then, with all that fresh in my mind, after reconsulting my notes, I will decide what levels suit them best, and build the stats. Tron tends to build stats first and then do write ups. Either way works really.

Anyway, thats basically why we are pretty dubious when we see a piece of information we don't recognize a source on. Of course, if we can get a source and page number or timestamp, we are always only too happy to go back and check on it to make sure we are as accurate as possible.

15. DarthJahil

DarthJahil Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005

It's pretty obvious to me that Anakin had the Rage feat for quite some time (slaughtering a Tusken camp with little effort, battling Asajj Ventress on Yavin IV, etc).

This to me is just outright wrong. You dont need the rage feat to get angry.
    Luke got angry and battled down Darth Vader. Did he have the rage feat?
    No.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi got angry and went toe-to-toe with Darth Maul.
    Did he have the Rage feat?
    Also no.

Saying everyone who gets angry has to have the Rage feat, would be like saying everyone who wields a lightsaber HAS to be a Jedi Weapon Master. I just don't believe that to be the case.

This is wy I don't believe Rage is a feat. I believe any Force Sensitive can use Rage, just as in the book.

16. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Sweet! The next chapter is up. I have to go and check it out.

One question, though. I remember there was a Jedi Master Tohno who appeared in Forever Young. She looked to be about Anakin's age, and I recall Anakin saying something like, "Looking at her, I remember those who died at Jabiim." Should she be a Jedi Knight in that case?

17. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you guys know that we posted the latest chapter of our Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook. This month we made a switch so that sourcebook updates are now on the 1st of the month and comic updates are on the 15th. May's chapter of the Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook includes half of the Jedi Masters during the Clone Wars era, A-K. There are about 25+ masters in this chapter. In a month, we will bring you the other half, which actually has closer to 35 characters. Then the Jedi Chapter will be completed! From there we are likely moving on to Separatists (gracefully shorter chapter). Anyway, hope everyone enjoys the chapter, and as always, please be on the lookout for mistakes/typos/errors and let us know about them as well as what you think of this installment in general!

Enjoy!

http://www.fandom.swnsu.com

Tohno was definately a master, and she will be included in our NEXT chapter, which details Jedi Masters L-Z. There were like 60+ masters, just too many to cram into one monthly update, so we had to break it up. He remembers those on Jabiim simply because she is extremely young (or young looking) to be a master. For all we know she was actually just very vain and used force illusion to appear young? Who knows, I haven't researched her that closely yet, but she is clearly referred to as a master even by Obi-Wan.

18. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I hear what you're saying about Tohno.

About the Dark Woman, there was a part in Emissaries of Malastare where she exhibited a strange power. After her session with A'Sharad, she talked to Ki about his encounter with Aurra. Afterwards, she walked towards the wall, and seemingly walked through it. I think there was some debate about that. Some thought she went through a hologram. But the people at SWRPGNetwork came up with a power for that. They called it Phase Shift. It allowed a Jedi to shift his or her molecules, allowing him or her to walk through solid objects. You can go to the website mentioned above to learn more about it.

One more thing. You say that Jedi Master Fay was a Sephi. Where did they come from? Is that your creation, or are there official stats?

19. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    I actually interpreted The Dark Woman wall walking as not ACTUALLY walking through the wall. I gave her a very high force stealth and illusion, and IMO, she just did one of two things.

1.) Used illusion to make it seem like the door was shut when really it was open, illusion also created the special effects show. She did this more for her own sense of dramatic flair than anything else.

2.) She doesn't appear again until in the hallway when all the other jedi have exited. She may have used force stealth/hide and illusion to make it seem like she left when really she stayed in the room and listened in on what the council was saying, as they thought she had left. She does not appear again until other jedi open the door and leave the council chamber, at this point, still cloaked, she could have walked out right with them and reappeared for Ki-Adi Mundi, making her seem much more powerful than she was.

As for Fay being sephi, that was from a correspondence with Leland Chee, keeper of the official holocron at lucasfilm. While it has never been printed in an official source that she is sephi, leland says she is, so to me, she is. As for Sephi species stats, I did make them up, and they will be released with our alien species chapter.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Seems like Sephi = Elves, if you ask me...

21. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    liking the inclusion of the freaking sweet hat, nice work!

22. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Would it really even BE a K'Kruhk entry without mentioning the Freaking sweet hat?

23. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    For all the K'Kruhk fans and fans of the hat, maybe you make the hat a special quality - so long as he has it, he can't die or be killed. [face_laugh]

24. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Merk: Sephi ARE basically just elves, really. Not my idea, but hey. So everyone enjoyed this supplement then?

25. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that we just hit our one-year anniversary! Hooray! Anyway, as a special treat, we have launched our new comic, Tales of the Chu'Unthor! Follow the adventures of Fin-So Rowan, Ivixa Delbaeth (both mentioned first in the power of the jedi sourcebook) and Fin-So's padawan, Xato Doryyn, and even Yoda himself (albiet a much younger one). The comic concerns the very first mission undertaken by the Chu'Unthor, a huge Jedi training ship that later crash lands on dathomir (read courtship of princess leia)

Now, you can expect our 1st of the month RPG updates to continue with the Clone Wars Sourcebook, but now we should have an alternating schedule on the 15th between pages of Cracken's Crew and pages of Tales of the Chu'Unthor. Also, eventually (probably when a draft of the clone wars sourcebook is done in a year or 18 months or so), we will be doing a mini sourcebook for Tales of the Chu'Unthor, similar to what we have done for the cracken's crew material.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the new comic!