main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crazy Injuries

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What are some of the oddest injuries you've seen (or heard) of athletes suffering? Either a normal type of injury in really strange circumstances or just a weird sounding injury that you've never heard of or doesnt sound like it should be bad, but it is?

I bring this up after a USC basketball player stubbed his big toe in practice and was diagnosed with turf toe, which apparently takes a while to heal. It never seems like a big toe injury should be very significant, but they can really hurt for a while (I had a recurring toe injury once that bothered me for several months, made it hard to run).

2. LordPullus

LordPullus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2006
    I would have to agree with injuries that are significant the moment they happen are usually unforseen besides the fact it puts you out, but the ones that do it for me are the smaller nagging injuries that keep a athlete from performing at full potential, but if you sit to take care of it the time lost doesn't seem to equal the injury. I remember I had a condition called plantar facilitis(hope I spelled that right), and it's a nagging injury to the sole part of your foot where it stiffen's the muscles in the soles of your feet making it awkward to walk, and run on.

I found that Kobe had the same nagging problem a few years back around the same time I had it, and they said he just tried to keep his feet warm and loose hoping that it didn't kick in before came time or nothing. I tried the same thing and it worked but sometimes it still happens in mild spurts which is nothing to when it use to hit when I first got it.

3. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    Craziest thing I've seen, Was probably when, Laworance Taylor completely shatter Joe Theismans leg, on: Monday night football. That's the worst I've ever seen someone's leg broke in my life. I mean it just snapped like a tooth-pick... Thinking about it now gives me the chills.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Another one that stands out in my mind: Alabama WR Tyrone Prothro's broken leg last year. After he'd already made the catch of the season, for him to break that leg so badly had to feel even worse than the injury itself.

5. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    In terms of oddest - who had heard of a metatarsal (sp?) until Beckham broke his? - but here's my favourites - and no, none of these are made up they are all genuine:-

10) Arsenal's Steve Morrow enjoyed a truly memorable celebration after scoring the winner in the 1993 League Cup Final, when Tony Adams hoisted him in the air only to let go and leave Morrow nursing a broken arm.

9) Allan Nielsen was sidelined in 1996 when his new-born daughter poked him in the eye.

8) Leeds defender Lucas Radebe injured his knee while taking out the rubbish.

7) Robbie Keane injured himself by standing on the TV remote control

6) Rio Ferdinand managed to get injured in the process of putting his feet up to watch telly

5 & 4) Both Ryan Giggs and Alan Wright have suffered knee problems caused by the position of the accelerators in their Ferraris. Wright promptly traded his flashy motor for a more mundane (but non-injury inducing) Rover 400.

3) French defender Julien Escude picked up a knee injury while going walkies with his sheepdog.

2) Alex Stepney, shouted so angrily at his under-performing defenders he dislocated his jaw

and the best ever

1) Dave Beasant missed several weeks of the season after dropping a jar of salad cream on his foot. For anyone who has forgotten, Beasant was a goalkeeper, employed specifically not to drop things.

But for sheer unbeleveableness Bert Trautmann broke his neck with 20 minutes to go in the FA cup final (1956 i think), and played the rest of the game.

6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Chuck Bednarik back in the 60's tore his bicep one play, taped it to the side of his arm and played the rest of the game.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I forget his name (though I'm sure I could look it up really easily..) but there was the Colorado Rockies rookie last year (Clint Barmes? something like that I believe) who hurt himself carrying venison up the stairs.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I was pretty surprised when Simon Jones tore his ACL playing cricket...incredibly unlucky.

Also Nathan Brown's broken leg last year was fairly hideous.

Though in terms of toughness the Japanese gymnast who broke his kneecap then completed pommel horse and rings, including dismounts, with scores of 9.5 and 9.7, has to be up there.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I remember in cricket when Steve Waugh and Jason Gillespie ran into each other when they were fielding in a game. Waugh was bending down for the ball and his nose ran into Gillespie's leg. Needless to say, Waugh broke his nose - but Gillespie broke his leg! From hitting Waugh's nose.

Bones are strong, wherever they're located. :p

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That was nasty footage to see, yes. Obviously Steve Waugh has a powerful headbutt.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    It was all in his nose I tell's you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.