main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series CW Grade the Episode: S05E05: Tipping Points

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 31, 2012.

?

How would you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

37.8%
  2. 9/10

17.8%
  3. 8/10

17.8%
  4. 7/10

15.6%
  5. 6/10

6.7%
  6. 5/10

4.4%
  7. 4/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You guys know the drill.

Poll results are available by clicking on the number of votes next to each score.

That being said, we'd still prefer you to post with your score and what you liked and disliked

2. TheVortex3

TheVortex3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2012
    I rate this episode 9 out of 10.
    What I like about this episode:
    Droid Gunships were pretty cool.
    It's always nice to see Hondo.
    Kalani shooting King Rush.
    Kind Dendup returning to being king.
    The scene when Steela died was done pretty good.
    And the fact that it looks like Ahsoka just went back to liking Lux as a friend.

Dislikes:
    Thought that King Rash did not really do much.
    Even though I think they did Steela's death scene pretty good I still think they should have done a few thinks different.
    And I wish we show Tandin a little more in this episode also.

But overall this was a great episode.

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Great ending to the arc I must say

+Animation
    +Droid gunships were brilliant
    +Steela's death was very well done, but Kalifa's still trumps it for me
    +Small thing, but the doors on the palace were beautiful
    +Hondo, always a plus
    +Kalani blatantly shooting Rash
    +Lux/Ahsoka's relationship
    +Ahsoka's reaction at the kiss was very Jedi-like and completely non-Anakin
    +Great writing during the moment Ahsoka was shot, it looked like Lux was going to bite it for a second

-The battle was a little short
    -Dendup is an idiot for running out onto the edge of the precipice like that, you would think as previous King he would know his terrain a bit better

Nevertheless, a 10/10, brilliant episode.

My thoughts on the arc:
    Not an arc that will stand out in memoriam such as Umbara or Rako Hardeen, but nevertheless a solid one.
    The characters were well-done, I enjoyed them enough.
    Ahsoka shone in many subtle moments, such as playfully punching Lux's shoulder.
    Hondo just elevates everything he's in.
    King Rash was a bumbling moron with an even more idiotic name.
    King Dendup was about the same.
    I still feel "Front Runners" could have been eliminated altogether and the battle could have gone on for another episode.​

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Good episode packed with action and a hint of emotion. It really sucks to be Saw and I felt for Ahsoka even if she was blatantly bullet proof IMO. Good is see scary battledroids and effective Commando Droids again. Those gunships were pretty cool. The conclusion was hurt by weak original characters and a simple build up. 8/10

Best part was the droid with the melon stuck on his head.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This episode was awesome 10/10

It was pretty funny to see Hondo run off after being shot at [face_laugh]

6. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    8/10. Good stuff. If not all TCW episodes could live up to the likes of Nightsisters, Mortis, Maul and Umbara, they should at least meet the standards of Onderon.

Garth Maul likes this.
  7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really liked this one and tought it was a nice finale of the Onderon arc; the battle was really good, loved the droid gunships and Steela's death sequence was very well done (but as I said before, Ahsoka should probably have gotten a bigger wound from being hit by a laser bolt from the broken gunship); I also liked the citizen attacking the battle droid with a big fruit. The ending for the separatists' part was a bit rushed with Dooku ordering all forces to be pulled back from Onderon and Kalani then swiftly killing Rash (the only thing missing was for Kalani to put on a hat, a cape and a fake moustache before slipping outside while twirling said moustache, all while Okalin just stands there with a "what just happened?" look on his face), but I liked the final scene with the funeral. It was overall satisfying so 9/10.

8. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    11/10.
    Easily the best episode so far of the season and some of the best character development (particularly Ahsoka) of any episode.

9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Đ¢his episode combined with the last one saved Onderon for me from being a total borefest.
    This episode was genius.
    From start to finish this should have been the feel of the entire arc but better late than never.
    Every scene mattered and was needed in the episode. Something I could not say for "A War On Two Fronts" or "Front Runners".
    The action was so fun. Finally a battle I love from "The Clone Wars", it has been a while.
    In terms of characters, the heroes really shined while the villains of Onderon as usual did nothing much but sit around and send forces for the Rebels to defeat.
    I sure wished Kalani and King Rash did more in the episode but I have nothing against villains that do not fight. After all, I am a huge fan of Tikkes.
    Even if Kalani did not do much like other villains from recent seasons, he has had really good lines these past episodes. Especially the one "His army will not withstand the Power of the Confederacy!". That for me as a fan of the CIS and a video maker is a line that can only dream of these days. A line that is perfect for videos.
    King Rash was there and he went out as I expected.
    For the second time in this arc I care for the good guys.
    As I have said before Saw is my favorite hero of this arc who once more was totally badass. He has proven to be so much fun and worthy of a video tribute.
    Lux, General Tandin and the rest were all fine. I even cared and I liked the way Steela's death was done. This was a truly epic moment where everything seemed perfect in my opinion.
    Having Hondo Ohnaka in this episode just added even more flavor to the episode. He is always a treat when he comes on screen. He is a real delight even for a few seconds...
    In terms of story, this episode was a standard "Heroes win the battle" episode that was executed perfectly.
    The end was also great cause for the first time in a while the CIS characters act really reasonable and logical. Yes, they left Onderon but the fact is, as others have pointed out, the Separatists did not lose. They just decided that it was not worth the time and money to continue this conflict with the Rebels. I loved the logic of the villains of this arc. Well, half of them at least.
    But the things that stole the show were the amazing Heavy Missile Platforms aka The Droid Gunships.
    They looked amazing, they sounded amazing and they caused amazing havoc and death.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This episode was worth the wait and made me very happy.
    9,5 out of 10 for "Tipping Points". Even considering a 10 out of 10.
    I just can not stop thinking about the Gunships, they were stellar!

Super_Battle_Droid and KED12345 like this.
  10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    7.5/10 rounded up to 8/10.

This particular episode was exciting.

Unfortunately by this point I was tired of Onderon and couldn't care less about the characters.

Trope that one of the siblings had to die. Didn't see, other than Ahsoka, the character development everyone keeps talking about.

Hondo is fun but also felt a little shoehorned - on the other hand, bringing him in just reinforced how boring Lux, Saw & Steela are.

Inblackestnight likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From the discussion thread:

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    10/10 Just for the Droid Gunships alone.

If only they'd bring Hailfire Droids into the series now.

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    10/10, first time since Jedi Crash the separatists introduce a real, meaningful machine - the gunships. Those actually seemed like a threat, they were just slaughtering the rebels.

14. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    Yeah, if it hadn't been for Hondo they all would've been killed.

15. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Ugh.
    Ugh.
    This entire arc was a bloated POS. Despite the extended runtime of an hour and a half, I never managed to care for any of the characters. Steela, Saw, King Denduppity-huppity. What a waste of four episodes.

6/10

16. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm quite surprised we haven't seen the Hailfire Droids yet, they were in AOTC so i thought they would be in TCW

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Daaaang finally saw this episode. Missed it Saturday and had no time/lack of interest to make it up. I sort of feel bad about that, because for what it was worth, it was fairly decent. Why couldn't they have all been like this?

Giving it 7/10 for an AWESOME ending, but -3 for the glaring lack of plot. I still don't get why the heck the villains were there to begin with. For that matter, why did Sidious even care about it? What importance did this planet serve? Was it just another entry on his bucketlist?

(Speaking of which, Onderon was the planet Palpatine's clone died on in the EU... which I couldn't stop thinking about through the whole series. Oh TCW. You take the most random things from the EU.)

19. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
  20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I was kind of bored with the arc, and sort of glad it's over. But I do think the finale turned out good.

Sigh. They really need to stop making the Seps look pitiful in every arc. I never thought they were much of a threat in this arc, which is why I felt it again fell short in the storytelling.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Again, surprised at the lack of responses in this thread.

Pros:
    • Nice art design for the entire arc. The super tactical droid, the King, Iziz and Onderon in general.
    • Droid gunships were AWESOME and went all DESTROY on those rebels.
    • lol the super tactical droid just shoots the King.
    • Believe it or not, I thought Steela's death added some drama to an arc that needed it badly.
    Cons:
    • Hondo was just shoehorned in as the deus ex machina. Droid gunship problem solved, just like that.
    • Lux's "what good will it do if she gets herself killed" line was just tiresome.
    • Ahsoka gets shot by a CANNON and just shrugs it off.
    8/10, making my average score for the arc 6.25. Barely passing, which sounds right.

36 votes for an average score of 8.42.
    Last necro-bump for tonight, I promise.

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Necro-bump away imo! I love seeing the average score.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    7/10

This is really mostly a 6er for me, but I'm a big fan of how Steela died. It wasn't the climax to an epic battle or anything remotely like that. It seemed accidental to the point of feeling real. As if, if that were a real situation someone might really die like that, but they'd never write it that way for a TV show because it doesn't seem spectacular enough.

Overall a decent enough episode, but I expect climaxes from the end of 4-parters like we got with Carnage of Krell and Crisis on Naboo, and this didn't come anywhere near that. This felt like it could have been a single episode.

24. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    10/10

GREAT episode. really pulled this arc together nicely. the final battle was amazing, with a great twist at the end.

i believe this ARC would have been better as a 3 episode story as opposed to a 4 part one. episodes 2 & 3 were pretty slow and defiantly under average, while the last 2 were excellent. the first two shoudl have been combined into one episode, that would have been better IMO.

as a whole here is my grade

Onderon Arc: 8/10

good, but could DEFIANTLY be improved upon.