main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Darth Maul Pen Sketch

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Sep 30, 2012.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Adalia-Durron likes this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    He is really good

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  3. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Dang, that is good. Looks like professional comic-grade inking work to me. Very well done!

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks guys! Glad you like it :)

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The image has nice contrast, and the linework for the tattoos is tight. The rendering on the cloak also helps to define the rough texture of the fabric.

However, his face seems a bit... heavy and wide. He also has a rather amusing expression, as if he has been, well... smelling some incense that may be a wee bit too strong. Also, while the rendering does add additional grades of shading, I can tell you from experience that comic editors, publishers, and other professional comic artists will advise you to avoid rendering. The reason being is that with a large amount of cross-hatching, the image looks "busy". This is fine for a sketch, but if you intended for it to be a portfolio piece, the cross-hatching will be something that will need to be reduced. Also, I can't quite discern a definitive light source. The shading gives it an ambiguous quality.

Pen is a tricky medium to work with, as it is not forgiving. One mistake, and that's that. It can't be erased. However, that's where Photoshop comes into play, as you can fix stray lines and such. Though, it's merely an additional tool, and not something to rely solely on.

You have contrast worked out, so I suggest concentrating on that. Try to limit your cross-hatching and rendering, as it can make an image look busy. Texturing can be achieved in other ways and with less lines. Experiment with different techniques, as pen, while tricky, can be a very versatile medium. You can achieve many different effects with solid black pools of shadow and minimal cross-hatching. It's a fine balance to maintain, but practice helps. Observe textures and how light plays off of them. Try out stippling for various effects.

For facial features, I suggest referencing from photographs. I use photo references often. That is not to say to trace them, but reference to them while drawing freehand. You'll get to study how shading plays across the face and experiment with various techniques on how to achieve those effects. Also, study other artists' works. Do you have a favorite artist? Study their work. Adopt some of their techniques. Don't totally copy their style, but feel free to use aspects of it. This will help you develop a style.

Also, when doing pen sketches, a very light pencil sketch to get the basic form down doesn't hurt. I do that with pen sketches. Just a simple, loose sketch to get the basic form. The details will be added later in pen, but you'll have a general shape to follow. This helps when drawing fabric around a shape; it helps to give your work mass.

You have nice contrast and the tattoos have a nice, solid feel to them. I suggest experimenting with solid shading, ala Sin City. You may surprise yourself with the effects that you'll pull off.

6. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    There is very distinct and emphatic delineation in this picture which creates an intriguing and curious effect of solid shading. Its stratification implies a faceted plurality of layers seeming somehow akin to the structured overlap of a montage as well as slight reminiscence of kaleidoscopic topography. Which is to say in normal people words: "It's nifty 'cuz it looks kinda flat." But then again, what do I know about art considering how all my circles manage to have four corners?

7. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ooh, nice!

8. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    One thing I miss is an emphasize on the red part of Maul's iris. But apart from that, good job - I enjoy your smooth style.

9. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Looks good. I like how sharp it is. I just think he looks like he's gained a few pounds. But good job overall.

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't realise I had all these new comments, thanks for the great responses guys and thanks TrakNar for the advice :) Some really good points I'll have to look at.