main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

Writer: John Ostrander
    Penciller: Jan Duuresma
    Inker: Dan Parsons
    Colorist: Wes Dzioba
    Cover Artist: David Michael Beck

Banished to the dark moon Bogan, the Force Hound Xesh has been living in contemplation; the memory of who he was before his ship crashed on Tython still escapes him. A rival from his past is on his trail, and the Je’daii are doing all they can to discover his origin. And now, Xesh is about to meet someone who will change his life forever, a former great Je’daii . . . the prisoner of Bogan!
    * Chronicles the origins of the Jedi!

* Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi—Force Storm #1 is in its 3rd printing.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  2. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Dawn of the Jedi is my favorite currently running Star Wars comic series. I hope it will get a lot of story arcs.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  3. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm starting to think the Rakata will actually play a part in triggering off Force Wars, or least their force hounds will anyways.

4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    that would make sense

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Preview.

Eager for this series to get back into gear. A real shame that Ostrander and Duursema didn't want to alternate between artists; this series would lend itself so well to a monthly.

More flashbacks to Draco's past. Interested to learn more about the fierce protector, comforter of pain. It's not the dreadlocked Darth Talon chick, is it? Although that would make their rivalry more interesting.

I hope we see more of Predor Skal'nas. He's the closest candidate to a "main badguy" that the series has so far, but I get the feeling that he'll be more like President Shinra --- assassinated early on and replaced my something much more sinister...

6. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    seems like we got a multifront battle. rakata, the prisoner of bogan and the jedi

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    November 28th, right?

8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    November 28th is here people! World building is excellent as always. Plus, more ties to TOR in the issue. Another awesome story by John and Jan in my opinion!

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Beyond awesome! Beyond glad Daegen isn't brain-damaged. The above post is correct that there is an awesome tie to TOR.

10. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Can we get competent Jedi Councils? Nice to see more human diversity wish we had that in the human leads. Still infinitely superior to the Del Rey side of the EU

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, a very good start to the next arc. A bit of recap, but not so much backstory to cover as the first issue had to. And beautiful art, of course, I hadn't realized how much I had missed having a monthly Ostrander/Duursema comic. And love the TOR reference, although I wonder about the timing now though.

I did like Rajivari a bit when he showed up in the Jedi Consular story (at least the Consular story referenced a good deal of the history of Tython, not sure the Knight story did as much). Not so happy to see the Je'daii ignoring the warnings, they're in for some nasty fights soon, but not surprised after how they dealt with the problem of Xesh at the end of the first arc- basically stick him in a cell (a moon-sized one, but still) and hope the problem solves itself. Wonder how long until they notice Daegon Lok is gone. They're very early in terms of dealing with Force visions apparently (nothing happened so far, so no problem). Funny using Force lightning to power the ship never occurred to Daegon, unless Xesh is just that powerful, its not like Force lightning is unknown to the Je'daii (with how that Sith pureblood was playing around with it in the first arc). And sounds like Xesh's reunion with Trill is going to be even more messy than we had thought.

Can't wait to find out what happens in the next issue, now that the first issue recap is hopefully over with.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked this issue. I definitely loved seeing all the beautiful locations on Tython. It'll be interesting to see how Daegen Lok's "partnership" with Xesh will turn out. I'm guessing it will not be a pretty ending.

13. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm pleased with how the arc started. Makes you wonder who's the master and who's the apprentice in the Daegen Lok/Xesh pair.

I think the Council's reluctant to admit that Daegen Lok might have been right all along. At least that's what I read between the lines.

Is it me, or did that Noghri Jedi pull of a shunshin - a move from the Naruto/Naruto Shippuden anime/manga?

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Good to see Trill and the Predor again, it it really horrible how they treat their slaves.

Daegen Lok is very interesting. Definitely mad, but not too insane. His partnership with Xesh is definitely interesting too... though I definitely don't see it having a happy ending. Why does Lok want a Forcesaber so badly, what does he think his destiny is? Killing Xesh with the Forcesaber, perhaps? Lok kept saying he ended the Despot War... was he the one who killed Queen Hadiya? And what exactly was up with Lok and the skull, and was he speaking in Huttese to it? Also still don't understand how the Rakata, the Tythans, and the natives on Tatooine all already have the same language... so many questions!

I hope Ketu takes the older Master's advice. Why does a complacent Council always seem to be at the root of everything that goes bad? Although I guess it's fitting. Ignoring Lok's vision, then ignoring the Journeyers' pleas, and the Master of Balance just seems extremely overconfident in his own abilities to discern the truth.
    I also see how the Je'Daii keep emphasizing how they'll "try," while Xesh just "does." Maybe, if he turns good in the end, he'll come up with the "do, or do not, there is no try"?

But yeah, great issue, really glad it's back! :D

cthugha likes this.
  15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Great first issue to a new arc. And this Rajivari guy is from The Old Republic? Interesting...

"The Brood link between you and Xesh is still strong, is it? Good." Seems like Trill is the fierce protector, comforter of pain. Interested to learn more about their shared backstory, and good to see Skal'nas again. If he's President Shinra, is Daegen Lok the Sephiroth to Xesh's Cloud?

Fantastic world-building, interesting characters, an intriguing story, and a letter from Lars Meyer, Germany, at the end. What more could you ask for in a SW comic?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Amazing stuff. Simply amazing. Jon and Jan remain the best duo in comics (and I can happily say I've met Jon briefly at past Dark Horse panels, notably at C2E2) I truly hope this series gets the chance to reach its proper conclusion, and that DH somehow retains the license long enough to at least see this series through.

I can't wait to see where Lok's mad (or not quite so man?) plans take him. Whatever happens, it seems the force wars will soon be upon us in the coming months.

17. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This comics name will be viewed with a very different slant, here in Australia. Quite amusing actually.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry I just read the title properly Prisoner of Bogan. Hahahahah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

So you know

Any way. It is interesting. Things twist and turn.

Seems like the Jedi Council are politicians, just ignore the problem until it fixes it self.

Still very interesting. We have not lost any leads since the first arc, which is always a good sign.

I wonder is Xesh; an anti-villain or a villain protagonist? how care he can recharge a spaceship.

Fact, jedi ships in the future will not have reactors, they just clone Xesh and stick him in them:D

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Excellent issue once again! Dawn of the Jedi is probably the most unique star wars comic yet and I enjoy it a lot. Hoping many more issues from this series!

20. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Personally, I think I enjoy the world building the most. The characters are all interesting, don't get me wrong but love how John and Jan are just shaping Tython and its people. They just make Tython seem like a magical world... from the stone cities on the moon to the waterfalls.

21. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is shaping up nicely! It has the epic scope, memorable characters, complex world-building, myth-making, and action we've come to expect from Ostrander. This fits in so nicely as background to TotJ. I hope DotJ has a nice, long run!!

Cronal and darklordoftech like this.
  22. Palpatine's SOG

Palpatine's SOG Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    It is a real tragedy that Knigh Errant ended abruptly, we could have had 2 wonderfull new eras. Any info about who is going to publish the rpg stuff in the future?

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He was basically one of the first members of the Jedi Council after the Force Wars. He went rogue afterwords and led an insurgency against the Order which ended in defeat and created a stockpile for his knowledge.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Stradley says in the back that it's an established fact that the Exiles corrupted the Red Sith. Everything I've read says that the Red Sith were already darksiders.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well technically when they were under Adas but that was long before DOTJ I think

Not unless I'm not paying attention