main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #2 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I got the issue! :D
    (Merry Christmas everyone!)

Forever surprised by how much they can pack into one issue, without any of it feeling rushed! The Kwa, the Forcesaber, Xesh/Trill, Hawk Ryo, the situation with Ox & Tasha Ryo, etc.

Yeah, I'm worried about Master Quan Jang (hope I spelled that correctly). Hawk definitely has a dark side, but I think he's around to show that Lok didn't have to go to the dark side after his vision. And I think Master Ketu needs to spend some time on Ashla!

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always speculated that the Force Wars is actually a conflict between those banished to Ashla and those banished to Bogan.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I've never enjoyed a comic book series this much.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    Of course!! I have forgotten about the Force Wars and the fact that they started in Dawn of the Jedi era... Stupid me. So Daegan Lok will be the Xendor of this era. Interesting. And that would explain why the Bogan aspect (darkside) will be rejected as it will show itself too destructive. The Jedi Order is about to be created in 10 years. I wonder if DOTJ will cover the ten year gap, or just ignite the war in the first issues, and finish it in the last.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Another question is: Do the Je'daii become the Jedi or do the Jedi split off from the Je'daii?

6. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I suppose we head to the Great Schism. Jedi and Sith as the end result

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, the Dark Jedi Exiles don't create the Sith for another 20,000 years.

The Force Wars are the first war between light and dark on Tython, and the Jedi are created.

A few hundred years later, around the time the Republic is created, the Jedi have another schism, with Xendor and the Legions of Lettow. They're completely defeated. They are the First Great Schism.

7000 years before the movies, some 18000 years after Xendor, is the Hundred-Year Darkness which ends with the surviving Dark Jedi being exiled to Korriban and Ziost, where they enslave the Sith species and become the first Dark Lords of the Sith. That's the Second Great Schism.

RC-1991 and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    okay force wars it is

9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    According to some source, the jedi were formed from a group of je'daii who went off to fight evil and injustice in the greater galaxy.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Finally got around to reading and I have to say after somewhat not getting all that into the first story arc this one has my full attention, especially now that we see more of the pieces flowing together. :) PS: Any clues as to what species Trill is?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I assumed she was Arkanian? All-white eyes, but white skin too. Though, the Arkanian from that once issue of Legacy also had white eyes and skin, so probably not an offshoot or anything, just the way they're drawn.

12. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Don't know why but I used to think Trill was a Theelin until I looked on Wookieepedia again to compare.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Catching up on my comics and just read these two issues and already I'm enjoying it more than Force Storm. The Xesh/Lol combo is great. Plus a Kwa!

The 3rd from last page is absolutely gorgeous too- really striking visual that feels like a movie poster. I hope DHC or Jan might post a wallpaper if that page without the words.

Additionally, I think that panel of the Terentak smashing the droid requires a "BOO-YAH!" caption ;).

Lastly, back in issue 1, I can't help but think that Akar Kesh, with the likely coating (and light misting) of bird crap would make it a terrible place to meditate (unless one's name ends with "the Brown").

14. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Been catching up on the Bogan miniseries and ooooohh my! I'm loving it. I was a little let down by the first arc, maybe by the fact that we just "got" lightsabers basically with Xesh's weapon. I was hoping to see how Xesh's weapon was created in the first story. I'm absolutely loving the connections to the Consular storyline. Building up to the Force Wars, having Rajivari, and the Weapon Master seeming to be on the way, along with the First Blade :)

Beautiful art! Couldn't love it more. Wonderful world building. Hope this lasts for many years the come. I think that maybe we will skip ahead and be shown the formation of the Jedi Council during the novel, which will build up to a Force Wars miniseries.

There was a #0 issue? Never knew that. Worth the pick up, or is it just information you get in the actual comic?

15. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    For "reasons" I wasn't able to pick this issue up when it first came out, man tracking it down weeks later was a major run around.[face_phbbbbt]

This series has yet to disappoint! It's interesting seeing the distant past of the Stars Wars Galaxy. Most interesting is the Je'dai philosophy of balance between light and dark. In the minds of Eu authors and fans alike The Dark side Light side split seems to have become about Passion/Impulse vs Reason/Control. Rather Symbiosis vs Cancer. Personally my favorite metaphor for the sides of The Force.:cool:

16. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Does anyone know why #3 is delayed?

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    christmas vacation for the author/artist, maybe?

was it actually delayed, or did they just skip a month?

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, the author is somewhat busy with this and AotE, but don't think I've heard any news. I'm a bit more concerned that #5 is currently listed for May. Suddenly I'm nostalgic, I remember back when Legacy and KotOR were coming out always being worried about delays. Mostly Dark Horse has been pretty good with release dates (aside from Dark Times), but at least the story is always worth the wait.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well Legacy volume 2 will be coming out every month :D

20. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    0 Issue is background info. Tells you about the Temples and Temple masters, gives u a bit of history and tells u about the planets in the system.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I didn't enjoy this issue quite as much as #1, but this series fits my taste in Star Wars so well it's still instant-classic for me. Some thoughts:

- I don't know if Tem Madog is the same species as some of the cat-looking species in Tales of the Jedi, but he looks similar at least to me. I think TotJ did a superb job of showing diverse species so it's nice to see that here.

- I don't have Force Storm yet so this was my introduction to the Forcesaber. As I said in the Forcesaber thread:

- I really like what Shae Koda's story with the Forcesaber says about the Je'daii's views of the Force and how they differ from Star Wars films-era Jedi's views of the Force. Tem Madog actually tells her to focus her anger to ignite it. When she tells Quan-Jang that she didn't want to bring out that side of her and use the Force that way again, he says "Sometimes we must delve into the dark for greater understanding of the Force." There's no way a Jedi from the films would say something like that, they were way too dogmatic, they'd think someone who said that was a Sith. This is basically the same case Palpatine makes to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith. It's really cool to hear that kind of viewpoint and open-mindedness from a Je'daii. And it's a doubly cool twist to see Shae Koda being seemingly the lone Je'daii trying to stay away from the dark side because of the dangers of even experimenting with it.

- I was wary of Hawk based on #1 alone and seeing him so readily get aggressive with the Forcesaber is reinforcing my suspicion of him.

- Seeing the terms Ashla and Bogan like this never gets old for me for The Star Wars draft connections - automatic epic-ness.

- Trill's flashback was cool. I really like how Yirt looks...it's wrong to think but she just looks so despise-able. I also really liked the climax of the flashback because of the multiple ways of looking at it. Trill felt completely betrayed by Xesh which is understandable from her viewpoint, but at the same time I think Xesh easily could have killed her if he wanted but came up with whole Force-hound-gift idea as a way of not letting her die because although circumstances led him to fight her he really did still care about her because of their early bond.

- Seeing the Rakata is also always cool because of the first Knights of the Old Republic - it's also automatically epic, but not as much as Ashla and Bogan.

- What's with all the floating pyramid/diamond things? Is that explained in Force Storm? I know I might be asking to get bashed by saying this here, but they kind of look like the thing Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were sucked into when they went to Mortis in The Clone Wars episode Overlords. I wonder if there's any connection there.

- At first I wasn't psyched about seeing Holocrons in this era, but I'm okay with it now. I had thought this series would be the origins of the Jedi Order but now I see it's more like what the Jedi were like before there were Sith, and the Je'daii have already been around for a really long time. Master Sendon not being able to open it and the Force leading him to the person who could was a nice touch, and I love the design of the Holocron master's species (and robe).

- In #1 when Daegen Lok took the cuffs off Xesh without tripping the mechanism letting the Je'daii know it I still wondered why no one would think it was odd that Xesh wasn't moving for days on end (since the cuffs weren't), so I was really glad to see that droid walking around looking for Xesh for exactly that reason.

- The short Xesh flashback is awesome. The design of his outfit that he apparently had in Force Storm is one of my absolute favorites in all of Star Wars and since I don't have Force Storm I don't mind getting the flashback to see it. I also like that it transitioned into being an emotional memory of his he was invoking to keep up his Force powers to fuel the spaceship. The banter with Daegen Lok is pretty amusing.

- The massive stone carving of Daegen Lok holding a Forcesaber that the Je'daii find looks great and is super creepy when you consider that he made it himself.

- Plotting-wise, showing Lok and Hawk's vision at the end of this issue worked really well. It played a huge role in issue #1 and throughout issue #2 but wasn't actually seen, so getting to see it ourselves as the audience is epic. That artwork pulls it off splendidly.

- Hawk's reveal here about having the same vision as Lok but being in denial of it is intriguing, and only furthers my suspicion of him. Why would he go to such lengths to convince himself he didn't see something he knows he saw, especially with his friend so obsessed with it? And the way he freaks out and attacks his friends while recalling it shows he was every bit as affected by it as Lok and his attempt at burying it in his subconscious isn't working. At least Daegen Lok's reaction to the vision is more honest - Hawk, I'm wary of.

- Seeing Mynocks is a nice and rare connection to the films for this series. I see them as the turtles of the Star Wars universe - it doesn't matter where in history you are, there are going to be some Mynocks around.

I bought #4 the other day, but I'm going to read #3 a few more times and post my thoughts about #3 before I read #4. I'm quite psyched to read it!

22. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Are things falling into place that we know for future EU? I've been getting worried that the series may never reach its goals due to the license being uncertain.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well as we know next to nothing about the early Jedi other than they were pretty thrown together and used metal swords instead of Lightsabers… Mission accomplished? :confused:

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    As I extrapolated on in my wall-of-text up there, this series also shows the Je'daii with some philosophies on the Force I would consider radically different from the Jedi in the Star Wars films.