main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Denver Comic Con - June 15-17 2012

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obi_Wannabe, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JediBettyBug18

JediBettyBug18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
  2. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002

First = how "we" can offer help...on the next RMFF agenda. Yep

Second = Zoo....I love that PtrsonsZoo is back.

Third = GREAT job Michael!

3. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
  4. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Segment on 9news from Saturday about San Diego Comic Con, Denver Comic Con, and the Denver comic creator scene.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1073829904001

5. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    It's awesome you're getting publicity already!!

I've been meaning to say, and you probably already know, Michael, but if you hear from anyone named
    R i c k O l n e y (I don't want it popping up on Google - I hope that helps) run away. Far, far away.

6. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Thanks for the warning.

One more Denver Post - Your Hub article from last week, for those keeping track:

http://dpo.st/oH5J2p

7. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Publicity is definiatley working..........talked to my mom today (who is totally not involved in the sci-fi or anything like it community) and she heard about Denver Comic con.

Good Job!

8. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    It was also the topic of conversation at a party I was at tonight...and I didn't even have to bring it up first. LOL

9. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Press Releasae #2

August 31, 2012 ? Event organizers for the 2012 Denver Comic Con and Literary Conference (DCC/LC) just announced the next set of special guest artists and scholars for what is expected to be the Mile High city?s largest convention of its kind. Set to take place in the expansive Colorado Convention Center over the 2012 Father?s Day weekend, the DCC/LC will directly assist Denver?s own Comic Book Classroom, an after-school program that promotes literacy through comics. Tickets, Exhibitor, Vendor and Artist alley tables are set to go on sale September 15.

Recently rated as ?world?s best city for conventions? by Toronto?s Globe and Mail, Denver will play host to one of the most diverse and academic arts communities in the world: the comic book and pop culture community. Known for attracting celebrity guests, regional talent, and world-renowned artists alike, Denver Comic Con will be like no other convention currently out there. The three day convention will take place in the heart of Denver?s bustling theater district in the modern Colorado Convention Center.

Frank Romero, President of Comic Book Classroom, stated that ?One of the most amazing things about forming the Comic Book Classroom and Denver Comic Con has been the galvanizing effect it has had on the Denver arts and comic community. We look forward to being able to showcase all the local talent that resides in Denver and I guarantee that the artists in Denver are up to the challenge of showing that Denver is an incredible city when it comes to talent and service to the community.?

In just a few short months, Denver?s inaugural Comic Con has already booked acclaimed artists and writers including Bob Layton, celebrated for reinventing Iron Man and his work with the movie franchise. A creator, writer, artist, designer, and entrepreneur, Layton is one the comic industry's true visionaries. The three-day event will also feature Jason Aaron, a writer best known for his Native American crime noir series Scalped (Vertigo), Wolverine: Weapon X, PunisherMAX and Amazing Spider-Man. Aaron has been the talk of the industry after joining forces with legendary artist Marc Silvestri to redefine the Hulk in an all new ongoing series. Additionally, Sean Gordon Murphy recently confirmed for the event, and he is known for his work on several Vertigo projects such as Hellblazer, Joe the Barbarian (with Grant Morrison), and the recently acclaimed miniseries American Vampire Survival of the Fittest, written by Scott Snyder. Rising star Rebekah Isaacs was one of the first to commit to the event and is currently working on Angel & Faith with executive producer Joss Whedon, for Dark Horse Comics.

DCC/LC is unique in that it will be simultaneously hosting a full-scale literary conference (LC) and education program for students and professionals in a variety of academic fields, who will present scholarly work on the subject of comics and graphic novels, as well as teaching, from K-12 to the college classroom, and beyond. Christina Angel of Metropolitan State College will head up this exciting program, in conjunction with other local university and college professors. The literary conference has already confirmed renowned comic book academic, Charles Hatfield, Associate Professor of English at California State University, Northridge. Hatfield has been published widely in the theory and criticism of comics, most notably in the form of his seminal text, Alternative Comics: An Emerging Literature (2005) and recently finished a monograph for the University Press of Mississippi titled Hand of Fire: The Comics Art of Jack Kirby. A Call for Papers is posted at http://www.denvercomiccon.com/literarycon for anyone interested in submitting proposals.

Tickets, Exhibitor and Vendor packages, and all Artist Alley tables will go on sale September 15, 2011. All of the profits will directly benefit the nonprofit, after-school program Comic Book Classroom (CBC). The CBC will also be on site at the Convention Center to provide family and youth-centered activities and programming thr

10. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Short version - a couple more guests, tickets, tables etc go on sale September 15.

Not mentioned in the PR, Katie Cook is booked. I'm finalizing the Hotel contract in the next 48 hours and you will be very happy with the room rate.

11. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Any chance of any Twilight saga guests? :D

12. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    This is not the convention you're looking for. You're free to go about your (sparkly) business.

13. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I can tell that that is even the first suggestion of that, if you want to pay their gargantuan appearance fees, i'm sure we can accommodate you :D

We have discussed Harry Potter guests, the Literary Conference people are very big on that idea, me not so much.

14. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

15. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_plain] :_| :_| :_|

Mean

:mad:

o_O

16. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    C'mon Court, ya know I love You but that was pretty funny. [:D]

17. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    :p
    I agree. :p

18. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    hey so any supernatural guest? i was really thinking the creator Eric Kripke, would be awesome!!

hehe HEY they have comic books AND they have an anime series out now!! There is a new one coming out that is supposed to be a big deal...

----

News on new show based on a comic that Kripke is producing and its NOT Supernatural related....

One showrunner I've been hankering to see get back into the game is Eric Kripke, the brains behind The CW's underrated and underwatched Supernatural. Kripke left the series after season 5, having wrapped up the arc he set out to tell and gave up his position to second-in-command Sera Gamble. He still serves as an executive producer on the show, but for the most part, he's taken a backseat on things.

Now comes word that Kripke is starting a new project for The CW, via Deadline Hollywood. Kripke will write and executive produce an adaptation of Deadman, the DC Comic about a man (Boston Brand) who is murdered, but is able to "live" on as a spectre/ghost/spirit that can possess other people's bodies. Using his new ability, Brand then hops from body to body to help them solve problems in their own lives. In the comics, Brand sometimes possesses the bodies of various superheroes, but it's unclear if that's the approach the TV series will take (but it should!). It's sounds a bit like Quantum Leap with a supernatural twist.

The CW is looking to start a new superhero franchise with Smallville off the air. Deadman sounds like a pretty good fit for Kripke, as it easily serves as a hybrid serialized and anthology show (finding the man who killed him and helping others), just like Supernatural. If it goes all the way to series, expect it next fall.

TNT tried to turn Deadman into a series in 2000, but it didn't work out. Kripke was previously attached to adapt the Neil Gaiman graphic novel Sandman for television, but that project has since fizzled out.

19. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    Awesome! Now I'll definitely be there.

20. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    It would definitely be cool if you could bring Kripke out to the con. The new show sounds like it has potential.

21. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    i would love to hear about the new show and how he came up with the idea for Supernatural. :) SEEE i don't like it just for the pretty boys. ;) tho it doesn't hurt.....:D

22. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

The_Kwisatz_Haderach Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2010
    Given it's appeal, Kripke would make for a good guest. Those Supernatural fans... you have to watch out for them. :)

Personally, I think we need to invite Lucasfilm's Bonnie Burton. She's an editor on starwars.com and has written a couple books. She also makes all sorts of Star Wars related arts and crafts. She's been on the Forcecast a time or two, and is an interesting person from our universe of choice. Plus, if Twitter is indicative of anything, she personally knows someone I think would be great to invite, Grant Imahara of Mythbuster fame. Any of the Mythbusters would be awesome as a guest. Imahara is nice, as he has some connection to Star Wars as well. I believe he worked on Episode I making the remote controlled R2's. I thought he even got to suit up as C3PO for Lucasfilm a time or two as well. Heck, if memory serves, he might even be an Honorary member of the 501st. (It's late and I'm tired, so all of that may be a lie? But, I think that's accurate info)

Basically, both would be very cool guests to try and get.

23. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Lego-Stormtrooper-1 Former RMFF CR star 3

Apr 27, 2009
    I concur with the Kripke movement! =D=

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    given it is for charity i think that getting him might be a bit easier then for Starfest or Creation.

and jumping on the Twitter wagon, I do know that Supernatural fans will come in droves. LOL

it would be at least worth checking into...:)

25. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I'm hoping the show sticks with the older (1980s) concept of Deadman. Kripke would be interesting to to have come to an event given his interests and experiences.

I'd love to see Bonnie Burton, too, actually -- good idea, Nick!

It's awesome that Katie Cook is booked! She's neat-o! And Rebekah Isaacs. I'm looking forward to hearing what other awesomeness is on its way.

:D