main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Diary of a Strek Trek Convention

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Aunt Jar Jar Mimah, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Aunt Jar Jar Mimah Jedi Master star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Whew!! We Sacramentans survived the Romulan & Klingon assault!

In attendance: Moonsoon tier (Orlando, who I hear does a brilliant impression of Miss Cleo, late night tv psychic), his wife Erica and their children Max and Ben, bright sith (Kirk), Pacman (Pat), Gundar421 (Josh) and his children Vanessa and Matthew all attended along with me and my husband, Jason. We chatted outside the event for about 30 minutes or so before braving our way through the belligerent Klingons and the ridiculous $30 price of admission. We roamed the tables and found sacul 1138, (Michael) his son Henry Anakin, and their friend, Roger. I was very proud to see Michael and Henry in their Jedi robes. Impressive. Most impressive.

There weren?t exactly a lot of Star Wars items for sale, and it wasn't as large of a convention as I had hoped. However we did get to see some Episode II action figures for sale, just over from Hong Kong, before their April release in the United States. They looked great! The female bounty hunter looked like fantastic! Pacman and Bright sith drooled over the Amidala slave girl figure and Natalie Portman in general. The vendor wanted $1,000 bucks for the complete set (Can you imagine?) We all agreed we could wait a couple months to pay only $10 at Wal-Mart. The lightsabers he had for sale were pretty cool too, but I wasn't quite ready to spend $300-$575 for one. I kind of regret not buying the Star Wars Christmas television special from the 70's. I've heard so much about it, I regret passing up the opportunity.

We sat in on one of the venues, where a panel of regular, yet unnamed extras in the original Star Trek convention told us very little. Finally we were about to leave, when our otherwise bust convention was saved with the arrival of two stormtroopers and a tie fighter!

Stormtroopers Randy, Chris, (a perfectly tall guy who, thankfully, is good natured when I naturally couldn't keep myself from asking him "aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper??" question), and tie fighter Mark were in the back of the room totally stealing the convention show away from Star Trek and every one of the lame Klingons. It was really a great site. Tons of people wanted their picture taken with them, others wanted to buy a costume like they had, and everyone wanted to crowd around them. I'll have to bring my camera next time! For me it was further evidence of Star Wars's superiority to Star Trek. I never once saw someone want his or her picture taken with a Klingon (by the way, did anyone else noticed they really did smell like Klingons??)

So in summary, the convention itself wasn't great. I don't think too many Star Trek fans would have even been impressed even. Seeing the action figures early and the 501st members was awesome though. And, as always, it is fun to hang out with other Star Wars fans. :)

For a next meeting, we talked about seeing the movie attached to the final Attack of the Clones trailer (I think the name was Ice Age). When it's released, we can start talking about times everyone is available. So we have time to talk too, maybe we can have dinner before it or get ice cream or something after it. What does everyone else think??

2. pacman

pacman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2002
    Hey! I wasn't drooling over her! I was just uh...ummm.....suggesting, yeah....suggesting that she should wear stuff like that more often. :) I agree that it wasn't a really good convention, more like a trade show than a convention, but i had a good time anyways. Good to finally put some faces to the names in the forum. Now i can't wait for the next meeting!

3. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Oct 10, 1999
    Woo-Hoo! Post #3 from Pacman! It's good to see you posting. :)

4. Sac-Town-Knight

Sac-Town-Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2001
    The next meeting event sounds good. Anyone have any advice on posting or linking-to images. I have some pics that I would like to share with ya'll of my costume, ignited sabre (Photoshop), etc. BTW, I finished tiling my kitchen floor on Sunday! Woo-Hoo :)

5. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Dinner and a movie? Works for me. :) (But not the end of March!)

S-T-K, I think there are some free image hosting services around, though I'm not really familiar with them. You could always just sign up for some free web space (but not GeoCities or Tripod or Angelfire) and upload your pics there. I use www.f2s.com; they're cool.

6. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Oct 10, 1999
    Cool! I'm glad the tiling's done, and we'll go precisely set our next meeting for the end of March. ;) Just kidding. We'll make sure it's a time when everyone interested can attend.

7. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Coolio.

8. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I wasn't drooling either, I was just salivating. Oh wait....

Great summary Auntie. I disagree though....I'm glad I didn't buy the Christmas special after even more words of horror. :D

Look forward to next time.

9. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    I'm glad to hear Star Wars stole the show. Compared to what I got called to do Saturday morning, I wish I was doing something like tiling. I can't say much, but since I have narc experience, and am not on the road right now, I got called and was requested by the Captain to help inventory a Lab raided in the county. :( Man, four hours of dealing with the crap really really sucks.

Dinner sounds good for the next meeting. And,I planned to see Ice Age too. It looks funny.

10. Sac-Town-Knight

Sac-Town-Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2001
    Oh damn LDV. First it's the phyco boy, now meth labs. You are definately dealing with the dark side. :) Keep up the crime busting.

11. TK409

TK409 Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    Wow that was fun! Sorry we got there so late! It was great to meet you all - Randy and Mark and I had a lot of fun with the fans especially the 'superior' Star Wars fans.

We did run into a hillbilly-extreme-militia-wacko-type guy that was giving us some trouble. You guys may have seen him. He banged Marks Tie helmet with his machine gun just to see if it was quality plastic. He kept trying to take Randy's gun - I don't know what his deal was.

And wouldn't you know it Channel 31 news got there right after we changed out of our suits. MAN!!

We got so mobbed with photo-takers that we almost forgot to take photos of our own, but we did get a few. You can even see us without our helmets - aaahhh!!

http://www.theStormtroopers.com/galleries

-- Chris [TK-409]

12. TK409

TK409 Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    By the way, did anyone of you take any photos of us or Klingons or your group that I could put on our site? If so, please send them over!
    Thanks

13. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks for sharing your Diary, Aunty :)

Yes, from what I've seen, Klingon fans can be...interesting people, kinda like testosterone-fueled hippies, off the top of my head ;)

Guess it takes all kinds. Anybody from Sacramento going to Celebration II or the 25th Anniversary Sci-Fi Expo in Dallas in May ?[face_plain]

14. Monsoon-Tier

Monsoon-Tier Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    great summary auntie,
    i have to agree with pac when he said it sure is nice to put a face to the names. And as for my miss cleo impression, i was just keeping it real, so dat what i do, keep it real (jason and those guys know what i'm talking about).
    i can't wait for the next meeting.
    later

15. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Oct 10, 1999
    I am *so* bringing my camera next even with 501st guys.

Sorry to hear about he hillbilly guy.

16. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Hello everyone,

I apologize for not being able to show up but I had some last minute depressing family business to deal with. I know I really missed out, and I looked forward to seeing everybody! THA-SAU and JANAR ELOM were able to show up instead of me and they said they got to talk with the Storm Troopers but didn?t see anybody at coffee. Look forward to next time!

17. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Oct 10, 1999
    Darn, we were there, but nobody else approached us. Next time we'll make sure they find us.

18. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Next time we should have T-shirts with the Club name and Logo on.

19. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Like this one!
    [image=http://www.jeremyguy.f2s.com/pics/auntjarjarmimahs_posse_t.jpg]

20. gundar421

gundar421 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2001
    It was great to meet everybody. I feel better talking to people I know are sane. Speaking of sane, I saw that militia guy. Man he was out there. I wish I would have read the backs of the those EII figures. There is this question I have about lightsaber colors and I was told there was some answers on the back. Are you going to meet at Arden for Ice Age? T-shirts would be cool.

Tk-409, I have some pictures but they are not developed yet. I can scan them and send them to you.

21. sacul-1138

sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 9, 2000
    Can we where name tags too? might sound dumb but I want to get to know who's who better and thier user names too.

22. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Well, I have a lead on where to get T-shirts printed with our club logo, when we finally pick the name, and someone designs the logo. I can take it to my friend and have the shirts printed up, and could get the first names of everyone put on them too.

Just a suggestion.

23. TK409

TK409 Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    Gundar421, yes please send them over - if you don't mind! Thanks!

24. TK409

TK409 Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    Anybody have Gundar's (Josh's) email address? I'm looking for photos from the Star Trek convention.
    Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.