main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

did Obi-wan move up?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Obi-2_Kenobi, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-2_Kenobi

Obi-2_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    There was a quote by either Lucas or Nic Gillard saying that the difference between a level 8 and a level 9 duelist was the ability to use one's environment to fight. Do you think this mean Obi-wan moved up after the way he beat Anakin?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. He's still the same by the OT.

3. temple-of-Djose

temple-of-Djose Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2006
    if fighting styles by Nick Gillard go 1-10, Ewan was a 12.
    :D

he's such a badass! [face_love]

4. Obi-2_Kenobi

Mar 13, 2004
    Are we supposed to see him on the same level as the other 9's(mace, yoda, sidious) because he beat Anakin, who was on par with them?

5. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    What's that make Grievous? Level 4?

6. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Speaking of environments, if Obi-Wan had fought Sidious, he wouldn't have lasted 1 minute once they moved up into the Senate chamber.
    More than anything Obi-Wan psychologically defeated Anakin by using his own arrogance against him. I don't think the higher ground thing had anything to do with Obi-Wan using the envirnoment in his favor.

7. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Obi is an 8, but he is also adept at using his surroundings to his advantage (Qui-Gon's lightsaber in TPM, electro-pole in AotC, high ground in RotS) so he can safely battle any adversary and not flat-out lose.

Grievous was a great fighter, but that is not portrayed at all in RotS. It's a shame, too. If we saw one Grievous fight where he wins, it'd be different, but all we ever see him do is run and hide or get beat viciously.

8. Obi-2_Kenobi

Mar 13, 2004
    ok does anyone think his fairly even fight against anakin shows he could have had a fairly even fight with sidious?

9. Palps

Palps Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    Wait, so what is Obi-Wan's level in AOTC? ROTS? What is Anakin's?

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No, and I'm a huge Obi-Wan fan. Sidious was on a level where only Yoda, Mace, and an older unsuited Anakin could touch him. Anakin was on their level as far as pure power but, Obi-Wan was below them he just was cunning and skilled at using the area around him to his advantage.

Obi-Wan was I think a 7 in AOTC and an 8 in ROTS with Anakin being one below him in AOTC and a 9 in ROTS

11. Palps

Palps Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2003

Cool. So, Anakin advanced from a Level 6 to Level 9 from AOTC to ROTS?

Any idea what Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan's level was in TPM?

12. Obi-2_Kenobi

Mar 13, 2004
    I have to say that when Yoda told Obi-wan he wasn't strong enough to fight Sidious it pissed me off. Why would you make the main hero character of your trilogy markedly weaker than a handful of others? But obi-wan has a habit of beating seemingly stronger opponents(Maul, Grievous, Anakin). I think Yoda was being responsible sending obi to fight anakin and himself to fight sidious seeing himself and sidious as stronger. But Maul was stronger. and a guy with 4 swords is nuts. and anakin was a level 9 with yoda, mace, and sidious, and obi-wan beat him too, so maybe, just maybe, he could have done the same against sidious. Does that ake sense to anyone else?

13. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    In theory, yes. But in practice, Obi would have ended up like he did against Dooku. Now I am a huge Obi fan as well, but thats just how it is. With sword skill, he could probably do well against Sidious, at least draw him. But when if Sidious used the Force at all, Obi would be toast. Not that he's weak, just that Sidious is that strong. Him and Yoda were playing frisbee with the senate pods for pete's sake.

14. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I still think people put waaaay too much stock in Nick's levels. He assigned them to help figure out lightsaber choreography, and general character background. It is not the gospel according to Nick. Lucas might not even know what we're talking about. If you want to look at it from a level perspective, then Anakin, Mace, Yoda and Sidious are about the same, with Obi-Wan bringing up the rear. But again, it is extremely difficult to predict the outcome of fights through these arbitrary levels alone. Obi-Wan may very well have improved his skills in the Mustafar fight, but it doesn't really matter if he moved up a "level."

15. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    i think rebelscums got it right here. Based on raw power, it would probably be Mace yoda, palps and anakin up at "level 9" and then obi wan down at level eight. But theres the environment and all the things around u that can turn the outcome of the fight. if we changed the scene from the yoda vs palps fight it couldve turned out differently cuz palps doesnt have those pod thingies to throw around.

Ps Remember me rebelscum???

16. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    How could I forget? ;)

17. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    im glad u remember :)

18. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005

I agree RebelScum77 The lightsaber rankings don't even exist in star wars. those rankings are Nicks own oppinion when he made the fighting. Scince Gillard gave him an 8 people think he is that weak but he is very powerful,Lucas does not intend for Obi-wan to be weak And some people think he can't improve but I think any jedi can improve. Obi-wan just stopped fighing because he had to watch Luke.

19. camifladge2

camifladge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2005
    The lightsaber ranking do not exist because Nick Gillard just made them to help him make the stunts, and I don't know why Obi-wan got a level 8 anyways.[face_devil]

20. Obi-2_Kenobi

Mar 13, 2004
    probably because he is not an agressive character. he has more restraint and caution, which, though not as powerful, in my opinion actually saves him many times.

21. kyoshiro-kenobi

kyoshiro-kenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2003
    I've gotta say, I'm a huge Obi-Wan fan, but I agree with the above sentiment. I actually think Obi-Wan could've have taken Sidious in a lightsaber duel, by staying on the defensive until he saw an opening and then moving if for the kill. But once the fight moved into the Senate Chambers, I don't think he had any chance against an opponent a hundred of feet above him, chucking senate seats down upon him; I think he would've skeedaddled in hopes of fighting another day.

I don't think I buy into the skill levels, either. Mace's alleged 9 level didn't translate onto the screen, IMO. Maybe it was because they had more screen time, and more intense duels, but it looked like Qui-Gon, Maul, Yoda, Dooku, Anakin, and Obi-Wan all could've kicked his butt (going strictly on what we saw on screen).

22. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree with Rebelscum here=D=

People put too much weight to what Gillard says here. Just as they put too much weight to Lucas saying the dark side is stronger. You must always bear in mind the context of which it is uttered. Lucas said his quote so that it could seem he meant it for Anakin's agenda. Gillard said it was to help him with choreography - not that it actually applies for the movies... If the difference is so great between level 8 and 9 as some claim, then OBW simply couldn't have bested Anakin, which we all know he did. Anakin was emotional, but so was OBW. Why not just go by what we see in the films??:D

23. Obi-2_Kenobi

Mar 13, 2004
    do you think yoda telling obi-wan that he wasnt strong enough to fight sidious is an undisputable fact, or the responsible thing for yoda to say, seeing as he was technically more powerful and saw anakin as th easier opponent?

24. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    I am a level 13 Dungeon Master.

25. Obi-2_Kenobi

Mar 13, 2004
    What i've basically been wondering is did lucas mean to suggest that kenobi had no chance against the emperor by yoda's quote, or just that yoda had a more reasonable chance and was being a responsible leader(and needed to find a way for obi and anakin to face off for dramatic reasons)? Basically, according to Lucas, would obi-wan have a hard time fighting sidious or would he be utterly destroyed without question?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.