main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did the Rebels blow up their own guys?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Jan 4, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    When Luke Skywalker blew up the Death Star I, and Lando and friends the Death Star II, did they blow up the Rebel prisoners that were held there?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Perhaps, if you assume that there actually were prisoners on board at the time.

I highly doubt there were prisoners on the second Death Star, it wasn't even completed yet and was supposed to be a secret.

The first Death Star was new, too. Still might have been some prisoners on board, perhaps from the Tantive IV.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  3. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I think there were a couple of prisoners on the first Death Star too, they had a multiple prison blocks ready at least.
    So how did that go out?

(after the death star is destroyed)
    "Oh, blast we killed our friends, but we had to right? Not like we could have had them on the Falcon...!"

But the Second yeah as it was top secret was probably mostly Imperials.

4. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Most definitely I think there were prisoners on the first Death Star.

And yes, they had no choice. While we're at it, why not mention those countless innocent lives on the Death Star as well? Contrary to what the movies presented and going by EU stuff, the Death Star was more than just a stuffy space weapon.

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  5. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    There was riot in Battlefront 2, so most of them were probably killed anyway.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The space weapon bit is the important bit though. It's a battleship that happens to have civilians aboard, not a civilian city that happens to have weapons.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  7. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It was a space weapon that was designed to also be a sort of, to quote Detours, "Space Mall". The obvious intent was that the conceived invincibility of the thing would've meant people would live on it for extended periods of time. Hence the addition of various comforts aboard it.

You tell me a battleship that has a cantina and a clothes shop, for starters.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Russian Akula (Typhoon in Western codenaming) submarine was pretty heavy on the creature comforts- since it was designed to spend months underwater at a time.

Star Trek TNG's Galaxy class starship is an even more extreme example. Yet, while tasked with exploration, it qualified as a warship.

TreborSabreon and DarthBoba like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms." - Randal Graves

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  10. jimslendorn

jimslendorn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2013
    All is far in love and war

11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It goes to show that live ain't perfect in Star Wars. Some prisoners would have been terminated anyways, but the point is that the rebels really couldn't do anything else at this point.

Now, the Death Star is referred to as a weapon itself in the opening crawl. The whole point is to instill fear by the destruction it causes. Even if there were innocents onboard, the whole thing had to be destroyed one way or another.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  12. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    That's war. Sometimes it doesn't provide a pretty solution. Loosing a few of captured men destroying a major enemy weapon is a fair trade-off. Granted, it sucks to be one of those men, but war is rough.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  13. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What innocent lives?????

14. darth.ender

darth.ender Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2012
    Tarkin! Tarkin was a married man. He was a misunderstood fellow who tried to balance administering the most powerful space station and quelling a rebellious populous with being a husband and lover (though to a different woman). Not to mention, but he was a galaxy renowned ballroom dancer and won third place in Imperial Idol! It was sad to see him go like that, and he was just starting to reconnect to his estranged son who had left because his father wouldn't accept that he wanted to be a speeder mechanic.

Sure, Tarkin made a terrible decision in destroying Alderaan under the stress from his superior...you know how crap rolls downhill. He had to find the Rebel base or take a 6% pay cut. But really, he was a completely good guy who was just fighting for what he believed was a just cause.

15. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Casualties of war I suppose...[face_thinking]

Iefan likes this.
  16. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    We saw the dread that Vader brought when he rocked up on Death Star V2.0 in ROTJ, imagine Tarkin's stress of having Vader there all the time - force chocking people in meetings, parading round like he owned the place etc - it's a big load to carry.

As for the innocents that were destroyed hmmmm......... whoops?

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  17. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    The real casualty is all of the mouse droids that were killed! Why isn't PETA making a fuss about this?

BigAl6ft6 and Klingon Padawan like this.
  18. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Blow up a machine that can destroy an entire planet full of billions of people, or don't blow it up because there are 100 prisoners on board...

19. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    No, they had Friendly Fire turned off.

cdgodin, Iefan and Death T like this.
  20. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Well, if they weren't willing to give their lives in order to blow up the Death Star, they weren't very committed Rebels now were they?

21. Jedi Ice Queen

Jedi Ice Queen Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2013
    I kind of wish the Empire would have won and Luke joined them. Alternate universe?!

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Infinities, A New Hope, the Empire kind of wins, for the next few years after the Battle of Yavin- in which the Death Star is not destroyed, Leia is captured, and eventually turned into an Imperial loyalist.

At the end of the book though- they lose, and Luke turns Leia back to the light side.

23. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    That sounds more like a suicide bomber than a rebel!!

If I'd been detained for standing against an Imperial terror, then where i was being held was blown up by my own people i'd be pretty miffed....dead, but still miffed!

24. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    If you're dead, how can you be miffed?

25. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    Non-jedi ghost!!

Alderaan caused a disturbance in the force when it was destroyed, did the deathstar?

Bale likes this.