main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Difference?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by JediPlepel, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPlepel

JediPlepel Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Hey i want to get started into the star wars cards, but i dont know the difference between deciphers ccg, wizards of the coast's TCG, or any of the other crazy cgs
    Could you guys list them and hte differences for me please? So i know what to buy? I want to play.

2. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    All I can tell you is that SW CCG by Decipher is much more diverse and complicated than any other. Almost a decade later, I still have to double check rules. That's the one you want to play though.

3. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    The Star Wars CCG (by Decipher) is likened to a 1000-piece chess game. It is complicated, but extremely rewarding. If you want to control gas mining on Cloud City, you can. If you want to be the leader of Ewoks, knock yourself out. If you want to blow up planets with the Death Star, have fun. If you want to train Jar Jar to be a Jedi...well...

Needless to say, there isn't much that the Star Wars CCG doesn't let you do. For most of its active production it was the #2 selling card game in the world only to Magic.

WOTC's TCG isn't a bad game, I suppose. It's much more based on dice rolling and randomness than Decipher's is. I haven't played it, but some of my friends do say that it is fun to play when you're looking for something different. (Although if someone wanted a different Star Wars card playing experience that fun and easy to understand I would suggest Young Jedi.)

The majority of Star Wars gamers will tell you that Decipher's CCG is the one you want. As an avid gamer, the majority is definately right.

4. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    However, one problem with Decipher's SW CCG is that they've stopped producing them (due to the loss of their license). However, you could still buy expansions on EBay.

IMHO Decipher's CCG >>>>>> WotC TCG. Mainly because of the depth in the game. You can even renact parts of the movie: like attack runs (trench runs) on the Death Star, AT-AT trying to destroy the Hoth Deflector Shield Generators, Pod racing, dueling, turning Luke/Vader over to your side, going inside the Death Star II to destory the core (but first, you usually need to deactivate the sheilds on Endor :) ), you can go into asteriod fields while risking the destruction of your starship, and much, much, much more. There's just so much you can do in Decipher's CCG, so many possibilities. Heck, you can even gamble and use politics!

It is a shame that Decipher lost the license to Star Wars - don't let this game die off - we need to show how great this card game really is by keeping it alive years after they lost their license.

5. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Click the link at the top of this forum labeled "CCG Board Guidelines and Game Descriptions." That will tell you more about all FOUR Star Wars trading card games....

6. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    With all the CCG vs. TCG banter going on, I've been able to stay out of it for the most part, but then here comes a "general" question about the difference between the two, and since it's in the CCG forum, of course the TCG is going to get slammed. So, I'm hereby "called out."

Though I moderate this forum, I'll be frank in that I much prefer the TCG. I'm neither against the CCG, nor do I dislike it. It's another way for card gamers to immerse themselves in the Star Wars universe. One of the reasons I prefer the TCG is that I find it much more straightforward and focused than the CCG is. When the CCG was released, it was one of the first trading card games I ever played, and I found it somewhat enjoyable (hey, it was Star Wars). However, the lengthy (again, IMO) setup time wasn't made up for in actual combat. After the first expansion or so, I relegated it to collecting, then quit altogether.

I agree that the pros of the CCG are that you can reenact scenarios and engage in Star Wars-based activities. Since I didn't stick around with the game, though, I always wondered how one player building up a spice mine played against another building an Imperial army. It almost sounds more like a race than actual combat. A con I had read about the CCG was the introduction of "overpowered" cards that Decipher, instead of banning or restricting, would create "silver bullet" cards in later expansions to counteract them. However, a recent post here mentioned the sanctioned CCG Player's Committee that has kept the game alive and kicking by boosting previously weak cards with "virtual sets" and sponsoring sanctioned tournaments with prize support.

The pros of the TCG are, again, more straightforward and you actually get to the combat pretty quickly, which are why I picked this game up after initially shunning it based on my previous experience with the CCG. Though set in the Star Wars universe, I stick with it for the gameplay. A con of the game may seem to be the randomness of dice rolling, but then so are all trading card games themselves if deck size and card limits are in place. In fact, this con hasn't really been considered an issue in the past couple of years. Other cons are the small (but just as dedicated) player base, some game balancing issues and some rules and rulings in some extreme cases. In fact, Wizards recently opened up their house to some widely recognized "rules gurus" in the TCG community to help iron out rules problems and inconsistencies and streamline and document rulings made on certain combos and scenarios. Wizards also "keeps an eye" on the tournament scene, and any degenerate or overtly abusive cards and combos are dealt with after careful consideration.

I appreciate both games for what they are. My personal taste swings to the TCG, much like a person's taste in pets, cars, the opposite sex, etc.

As far as forum interaction goes, this one's been around a year longer than the TCG, with a good fan base to start out with. Since the TCG's debut, it has admittedly struggled to get the kind of fan base the CCG has enjoyed, of which some generated a considerable amount of backlash against the TCG. Recent events have kept me from contributing to the TCG forum and section as much as I should (and in one case, can), but I will be getting back to it. Also, there are a couple of other, more popular, TCG forums available that it struggles to compete with.

The best thing to do is try both for yourself. If there's a card gaming location near you, ask the employees there if someone can demonstrate the CCG and TCG for you. Odds are a long-time CCG-er will be itching to break out the game, perhaps even a TCG-er. Starter sets for the TCG may still be available, and that's a just a $10 investment. There are also some PC-based card gaming utilities that can give you full access to all the available cards for either game in electronic format... it's just a matter of finding these utilities' "add-ons" for the CCG and TCG, but they don't give you the rules or the face-to-face play experience and tutoring.

H

7. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Just want to remind people that there are FOUR different Star Wars TCG/CCG's out there, not just two. Three were made by Decipher, one by WOTC. If as Redneck says you like to get around to the combat sooner, you could also try Young Jedi or Jedi Knights.

With four different games available for you to try, I would hope you could find at least ONE which you really like. :)

8. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Oops, I shouldn't have left Young Jedi and Jedi Knights to the wayside.

9. JediPlepel

JediPlepel Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Thanks a lot for the input guys. I got death star II for the ccg but now im having a hard time with the rules as the tiny book i got with it seems very basic. Ill figure it out though, ill probably go down to a cardshop to ask for a demo. Thanks for all the feedback.

10. less_in_length

less_in_length Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2005
    Yes, this game is very complicated - even I (having played for years) still have to look back at the rules once in awhile (ie, I forgot that undercover spies can move during opponent's move phase, etc).

11. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Try reading through this first:

Sample Game (PDF)

It is very, very old, but maybe it can help get you started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.