main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discreet 3ds max 6 question

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Darth_Brad03, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Hi everyone. I have been doing special effects for a while now but this is my first time to venture over to the 3D forum. I am wanting to start some tests in this medium. I just found a copy of 3ds max 6 on academicsuperstore.com for $600. However, I am not sure if this would be too difficult for a newbie to learn. Should I get my feet wet with something else or jump right in. Thanks for your time.

2. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Before sinking any cash in 3dsMAX why don't you download the demo and also download the PLE's from Softimage XSI, Maya, Cinema 4D & Lightwave. Use them all for a while and do lots of tutorials. Then decide which app is right for you.

I hate to see people buy an app without exploring all their options first, especially since as many people find one app to be garbage as others find the same app to be golden.

3. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Point well taken. Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that.

4. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Just so you know, the demo of 3ds Max 6 is 72 MB and that itself has no tutorials, it has a bunch of tutorials that you can download also, but the the demo isn't actually a demo, IT IS THE REAL PROGRAM, (that's just some emphasis on the fact). It has a really good renderer(Mental Ray) so I like it. But it only has a temporary serial number so if you want to continue to use it you have to buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.