main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Go back to your own forum.

Esg and Zorrixor like this.
  2. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    While I'm not a fan of the NJO series and beyond I do feel bad for those of you that do because I foresee that the ST will completely over-write that and pretty much all the post ROTJ EU. The writers/producers probably have an opinion of 'Why should I care about a book written 20 years ago, I'll just come up with something original' not caring that character A marries someone or that Han and Leia have 3 kids ect. ect.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Humongous retconning... that's what we do best. Enough duct tape, change new parts in, keep old parts, some overpainting, wait for a couple of years while the new continuity gets referenced in novels and she'll still fly Kessel in less than twelve parsecs.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am fine with Chewie being dead.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    No matter what they say or do. They could say nothing after EP6 happened in the EU. But I know that Corran Horn is an awesome Jedi somewhere in the galaxy, maybe he is just a forceusing Rogue Squadron member. He still marries Mirax, cause nothing Luke, Han, Leia, or Chewie does can change that. Kyp still makes his way out of the mines. Clighal still joins. Kyle is still an awesome solder. Iella Wessiri still marries Wedge, cause I highly doubt they are going to go in and "fix" his family. Then the authors just have to come in the post Ep. 7 EU, and add the "new" Solo/Skywalker characters and whomever else with the old EU characters who now have a blank slate to create what might become our "new" EU

6. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    In the Chewbacca mini series Luke said he felt Chewie's death in the Force and that "no planet could compare"

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    We talked a bit early in this thread--was it Uli and I? I forget--about how it would be better to just start fresh and rebuild the EU from the ground up than have to institute a million little TCW-level retcons to rationalize the ST. I honestly think that bringing major characters back to life, no matter how plausibly it could be done, is the exact line across which I'd rather say forget it. Non-spinning Ryloth, desert Mandalore? I can deal with that. Chewbacca or Jacen or Mara still alive and kicking? Not worth it.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  8. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah I said the same thing (think it was this thread, there have been so many). A clean break where the original EU either ends or continues as an alternate universe to the new movies and TV shows is what I'm hoping for. You can only retcon so much before it becomes stupid. Sure the pre NJO stuff might largely survive the ST, but what happens when they do a new cartoon set after Endor or a new movie set in the KOTOR era? Best to just do it cleanly in 2014 and start the new era in 2015 rather than trying to patch things together with so many retcons that eventually you lose it all anyway.

Darth_Xeres likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And why wasn't Maul or Sidious being resurrected not worth it?

Genuinely curious.

It all depends on how it's done, for me. We did just have clone Lumiya and Mara running around and nobody batted an eyelid.

kataja and Zorrixor like this.
  10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Sidious was fine, but Maul had absolutely no business being resurrected and I am not sure what to think about the others.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Maul has been resurrected four times, though. Old Wounds, Resurrection, that solid-form Hologram, TCW... The former two were received quite well.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The former two were also non-canon, and I don't have a problem with them.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I thought at least one of those was technically canon? By some obscure reference by Abel?

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Like others have shown, I don't even find the idea of a 'resurrected' Chewie that unappealing either, as with the right author there's a genuinely interesting story that could be told about a lone hero's journey to find his way back to his friends, the legendary lost Wookiee fighting to make his way back to the galaxy and the people who love him.

Plus its not like his backstory is likely to have much importance in the movies themselves if the Original Trilogy is anything to go by.

And heck, after all the pain Han and Leia have been put through in the novels, bringing back Chewie could actually do their characters some good for a change.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You don't need to resurrect or clone Chewie, just have someone take off with him in a ship mere minutes after the Falcon leaves, and then have Chewie stranded or imprisoned somewhere.

16. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Resurrecting Chewie would IMO be a big retcon hole in the tapestry of the EU's continuity. All the emotional pain that Han and the others went through because of Chewie's death during the Yuuzhan Vong War would be invalidated. Also, Chewie's death was the signal to readers that the New Jedi Order and by extension the Del Rey era was going to be, for better or worse, very different in tone from the novels of the Bantam era. Retcon it, and... well, for me at least it would take away from the emotional experience I had when reading Vector Prime and the rest of the NJO. Some people might find my reaction silly, but it's the way I feel. Better IMO to have Chewie alive and well in a different continuity at the start of the ST.

17. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Harrison Ford wants Han Solo to die. Chewie shows up on the scene alive and well 20 years after his death, Han Solo has heart attack. Simple enough.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Chewie and Han were disguised as each other. [face_laugh]

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They could bring back Peter Mayhew- and have him play Lumpy instead of Chewie.

Valin__Kenobi and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem is that it veers into comic-book territory. And yes, that's one of the problems that I had with Dark Empire (and I'll give KJA credit for turning the plot of DE on its ear with the first arc of the Young Jedi Knights). And even in that case, they at least had a reasonable explanation for his survival (and other authors have also suggested that he didn't actually "survive"). Maul was killed in one of the most straight-forward, no-questions-about-it ways and comes back? It's hack writing, pure and simple - and undermines the entire end of TPM. (It also doesn't bode well for Lucas' outlines for the upcoming movies and rumors swirling about them).

Havac likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "They said you were dead!"
    "RWAAAARRHHAAAAA!!!!"
    "They... SAID... you were DEAD!!!"
    "RAAWWWRRHAARRHHARRR!!!"

Not a dry eye in the house.

LawgSkrak and Runjedirun like this.
  22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, it can definitely end up being like a comic book, yes. But that's what happens with a bad writer.

I don't see how it "invalidates" anything though. In real life, some people have believed their children dead or missing, only to find out they are still alive years or decades later.

If Madeline McCann were found alive tomorrow, it wouldn't undo the pain her kidnappers have caused her parents during the last six years. But it would sure allow them to try and enjoy the rest of their lives -- like how Chewie's survival would at least bring some healing to Han and Leia.
    That's another "Who shot first?" waiting to happen. :p

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So what if we lose NJO and everything that came after? It was a train anyway.

As long as we still have Bantam and WEG, I'm happy. :)

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The prequels have already contradicted Bantam on at least one minor, Chewie-related issue- in Rebel Dawn it's stated that Chewie has not been back to his homeworld for 50 years, but in Revenge of the Sith, less than 20 years before, we see him on his homeworld.

So, even if they choose to "keep Bantam, Legacy and NJO"- it wouldn't surprise me if there are some contradictions.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Clarification--I don't mean bringing characters back to life under any circumstances; just the EU having to go back and explain why someone is alive in the movies that the books killed off forever ago. The story of Maul's return was a retcon in and of itself; he didn't show up in TCW like everything was normal. Same with Palpatine. If the ST actually started out with Chewie being dead, then told the story of why he's not, that would be another matter--but that's not gonna happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.