main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, a lot of that has to do with astrographic errors, like the mistake that somehow put Mon Calamari outside of Imperial starcharts . . .

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Sorry, JM, but the book doesn't say that - the last glimpse of Chewie that Han had was of him shaking his fist at the moon.

Some people seem to have gone to town with the description - Dobido was only 20km in diameter; Earth took a 10km diameter space rock in Yucatan (the alleged Dino-killer) and we're still here! Earth's atmosphere didn't ignite (getting air to actually burn is, from discussions of firestorms in a WW2 forum, seemingly rather difficult) and certainly our atmosphere wasn't "stripped away"! We're still breathing it, aren't we?

What would probably have happened was one (possibly two) strong lateral displacement(s) of air - similar to what we see in the nuke-test footage - then the impact and finally, secondary ejecta of varying temperatures.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was also:

Bit difficult to put all that down to an astrographic error.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bah. Blame the Empire for continuity errors why don't they.

Sinrebirth and Zorrixor like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It never really made sense that a species noted for its space liners could have had "first contact" so late ("less than 20 years ago") anyway.

Going back to the original topic, it would require another ship to rescue Chewie in the nick of time- I don't think just "taking shelter" would have been enough in that timeframe.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This presupposes alien creature induced lunar kamikazes operate according to earthly laws of physics :p

Which is to say, for all we know a magic Vong pterodactyl picked him up and Death Star trench ran him into the moon's core. :p

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Mon Cal is the Dubai of Star Wars?

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The first story arc of YJK featured the Second Imperium, led by a reborn Emperor Palpatine who had survived the events of Empire's End.

Except that he hadn't.

In the last book of the arc, the reborn "Emperor Palpatine" was revealed to have been an illusion cooked up by some Royal Guardsmen. They created a fancy holo-simulation and used it to gain followers. Very Wizard of Oz.

cthugha likes this.
  9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Depends on how far away he was blown by the airflow - and who are usually quick on the scene after disasters? Looters! Even without weapons, Chewie would be quite a formidable opponent. Add a (non-fatal) bang on the head to give him amnesia and....

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I've been contemplating the entire EU future given the sequels and Disney for a few weeks now. I think I've come to lose hope. I know we all hoped that the sequels get placed late in the post-ROTJ timeline and respect the EU. However, my new speculation on the most likely answer is that the future LFL will simply give up on the idea of EU continuity. I think it is going to head the way of Star Trek novels. From the Disney perspective, that is the best case scenario. They can continue to sell any of the previous material that continues to sell well. Also, it will allow any new tie-in novels to the sequels to use what they like from the EU and disregard the rest.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The original topic was "coming up with retcons for things that we have no reason to believe will happen"? :p

cthugha likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

I assume most of us have heard the Colin Trevorrow rumor by now. Bleeding Cool just posted this interview from all the way back in June, which some may remember is around when Pablo found out the ST was happening. Skip to 21:45.

Directing? Who knows. But I suddenly just got in a much bigger hurry to see Safety Not Guaranteed.

Also, Aubrey Plaza.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Aaand, apparently he denied it on Twitter last night. So back to square one I guess.

14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Do you know if Mike Vejar is still directing? He did it for Babylon 5, and IMHO, did a pretty good job -- at least he would be experienced with the genre.

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Anakin said that the air was igniting. So how is there time for Chewie to be rescued? I don't think it is realistic

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Colin Trevorrow... Bleeding Cool... Aubrey Plaza... Safety Not Guaranteed...

I don't recognise any of these things.

:p

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  18. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    He also said that "We didn't even know where the wind had taken Chewie, or if he was even still alive". That was about four seconds before Moon impact. If he's outside the immediate impact zone, then there is (hope you're not Corellian) a fair chance. The secondary ejecta would be thrown up in an arc and would probably land some km away.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think Plaza is hugely overrated.

That said, go watch Parks and Recreation. Now.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's an awful lot in SW that isn't realistic, what's one more?

Summer Dreamer, kataja and Zorrixor like this.
  21. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I only just now realized... Disney will maybe not just give us more Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies... but also revive other Lucasfilm goldmines:

HOWARD THE DUCK SEQUEL!!!

and even better, my beloved (honestly, I adore this movie) WILLOW needs sequels... or the sequel novel trilogy turned into movies cause I absolutely love those books as its sequels! :)

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I made the "Howard the Duck Tales" joke like during the first hour we got the news, dude :p

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    heck, if the air is ignited or sucked away into space... a Wookiee can still survive as long as an Aing Ti teleporter gets to him in time..

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    only that I did not mean it as a joke, my friend ;) though I'd prefer more WILLOW, especially given the popularity of Hobbit, LOTR and Game of Thrones.. Willow fits many fans needs and would rock if revived. Give me more Warwick Davis any day!

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    hated Howard the duck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.