main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ask Marvel about that.

TrakNar likes this.
  2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah that has been discussed a lot as a possibility

it may "save" the existing EU, but would there then be any reason to continue publishing storie from that EU? i doubt it.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh, really Coop, it falls right into the classic Del Rey MO!

SHOCK DEATH AND YOUNG CLONE!

:p

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    George, from Access Hollywood:

First thing I've seen that even remotely suggests the ST people are consulting the existing reference works.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope this shuts up all the alternative universe crap we're getting

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The question is, just what does George "know" about the New Republic era? [face_nail_biting]

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    He knows they killed Chewie and that other Anakin. Other than that, [face_dunno].

8. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Also Han and Leia's other kids (Zahn asked him if the names were ok I read.....somewhere) and that Luke is married because that goes against what he would've done.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    We can only hope that that should suffice enough that the ST won't totally screw things up. And for some reason, I keep wanting to add a "D" at the end of "ST."

beccatoria and Zorrixor like this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't really have much hate for the ST itself but the fourms and speculation make it terrible to discuss

11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I avoid that forum. No good can come from it.

12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm drawn to it the same way I am to LACWAC. I derive amusement from imbeciles too much

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    This is where it could go bad. GL would not have married off Luke. It's not a matter of what he would have done anymore, but what he would do. As long as there were no plans for the sequels, this issue was no big deal. Now that the sequels will take his input and basic plot line, he may have actually written it into the sequels that Luke was never married and has no kids at a point in the timeline where Ben already exists.

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    That depends on which GL you ask. Yeah, there's a quote floating around about Luke not getting married. But there's also a quote (from the time of ROTJ) in which Lucas is asked why Luke didn't get a girl, and he says "you haven't seen the last three yet." It's a slightly flippant answer, but it implies that he might be/have been open to the concept. And that might be because he simply never came up with a whole lot of details about the ST (which is almost certainly the case).

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Imbeciles make me want to kill things. I'm a masochist in some ways, but I'm too noble to impose my ways on others, so I've since decided to stay away from some areas of the internet (this includes the comment sections of youtube and facebook)

TrakNar likes this.
  16. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    new Insider Sequel Trilogy Information:

NO NEWS at all

merely what reads like transcripts of the Lucas and Co online videos. a superb Zahn short story that feels like what you get when you cross Tag and Bink with the Tonnika Sisters and other cool stuff.

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    [QUOTELt.Cmdr.Thrawn] But there's also a quote (from the time of ROTJ) in which Lucas is asked why Luke didn't get a girl, and he says "you haven't seen the last three yet." [/QUOTE]
    Are you sure he answered this to that question? (as I've seen another question quoted) But if this is correct, I'd be one tad more (catuiously) optimistic. :)

18. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Hmm...in the business of tea leaves reading, I wonder what the news of a Legacy comics relaunch can be said to indicate regarding the EU's fate. While DH has obviously had that project in the works long before new movies were announced, Disney has at least permitted the idea to go forward (not that they could really stop it directly, but they surely could have provided financial inducements suitable to make DH stop if they'd really wanted to). So, if this new series is intended as a long-running monthly with more than six issues, it is possible that we're looking at a comic series set in the Legacy Era that will be ongoing while new movies are appearing. That would seem to imply at least some level of respect for continuity, wouldn't it?

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well DH has to publish something in the next two years. The last thing Disney wants is for the franchise to cool down in advance of VII; regardless of their feelings on continuity, I'm sure they see all publishing as ultimately in their interests.

Remember Adwa likes this.
  20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Honestly, all the Legacy announcement has done is reassure me that I've stopped caring beyond "is it a good story"? The baggage of "what actually happened" is no longer any concern of mine. If the new Legacy is awesome, I will love it for being awesome, irrespective of its place in any ST-reshaping continuity.

RC-1991, Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  21. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I think it would be best if they left the post-ROTJ era alone for now, and concentrated on producing stories set in the Old Republic, PT and OT eras.

Darth_Kevin likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Stop worrying and start partying!

Zeta1127 and Todd the Jedi like this.
  23. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    This would probably be the safest thing to avoid adding anything else to contradict :)

24. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Yep:

He consistently said that the sequels were "out there" or "ethereal," which some (like Mark Hamill) took to mean that they'd be mysterious, philosophical films. That may have been one idea (I mean, this is the same guy who made THX 1138) but it seems much more likely to mean that he simply never planned too much about what would be in them.

And there's the question/answer you asked about.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I call shennanigans. Lucas couldn't remember the names of basic SW races when he appeared at Celebration - he had to turn to Filoni.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.