main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Diversion--An AU Obi-Wan diary starting mid-ROTS--Updated 5/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Author's note: You will find out pretty quickly how this is an AU, but one thing that you may want to know is that in this version, Ahsoka does not die sometime during the Clone Wars as I anticipate that she will. So, as this story opens, Anakin Skywalker still has an apprentice.

Entry 1

My first order of business after checking in with the Council should have been to visit the Healers. I have never been proficient in the healing aspects of the Force--at least where injuries more severe than a flimsiplastcut are concerned--and the duel with Count Dooku left me with a few injuries that made it uncomfortable to sit through a Council meeting.

I have enough experience, however, to know when I have a concussion and this was not one of those times. I made my way to my quarters, meeting only a few familiar Jedi, and had what Master Qui-Gon affectionately referred to as a "meditative lie-in." That involved sleeping for most of the night and lying on an icepack while I trusted the Force to help the healing process when I was conscious and feeling very old. I was under orders to only concern myself with the war when I gave my formal briefing the next day.

Anakin, as usual, had other ideas. He was polite enough to knock this time--in the past, he's been known to override my door's locking mechanisms when he felt the situation warranted it--and I let him in shortly after dawn and five hours before I was to present my update on the Outer Rim sieges.

I invited him in without asking if this could wait until a decent hour. Anakin has never been one to confide in me and that has not changed much since he took an apprentice. If anything, he has wanted to prove that he can stand on his own. My larder has never been very well-stocked, so I knew that he was not here to borrow a cup of sweetener. It could only mean that he wanted advice and the hour meant that it was urgent. I was too tired to offer him tea or a scone or anything other than the spare armchair and a listening ear.

He didn't sit. That was the first bad sign. I sat because I felt that my knees might go out at any rate.

And then he told me what was bothering him.

I'm not sure what dismayed me most. If I had been less worried about my former Padawan's well-being and more concerned with his actions, I would have immediately felt deeply betrayed by the news of his secret marriage. My first thought had been that I'd raised him to know better, but I held my tongue. I could not look him in the eye when he explained his exact reasons for telling me now--I could not witness his instinctive paternal pride and I did not want him to see near-paternal shame in my eyes. I wanted him to continue to trust me and I could not say for a surety that he would have done so if I had reacted exactly as he expected me to.

I was once told that mercy is not receiving what you deserve. I had mercy on Anakin Skywalker this morning and did not condemn him immediately. When he told me, in an uncharacteristically respectful voice, that he needed my help, I assured him that he would have it.

When he asked me not to tell the Council, however, I told him I would have to think about it.

At 0900, the Council learned that Chancellor Palpatine had requested for Anakin to visit him. At noon, Chancellor Palpatine informed the Jedi Council that it would be receiving a political appointee. At 1500, I visited Anakin in his assigned quarters.

It was a relief to find that Ahsoka was still in the classes that she usually missed due to the war. Anakin and I sat at the kitchenette table and this time, I looked him in the eye. I told him the Council was well aware of the Chancellor's offer. I told him that I had not told the Council of his infractions because I was not sure that it would be the best course of action.

And then I told him the price of my help. He will not sit on the Council--not for a few years yet--and I will be representing the Chancellor in his place.

Anakin argued, of course. His loyalty to the Chancellor is not absolute, but it is fervent. He sees Palpatine as more of a friend than I have ever been. He came to me for help, not the Chancellor and that, for now, is my bargaining chip.

When all was said and done, Anakin knew my reasons for taking the post intended for him: I love Anakin too much to ask him to choose between the Jedi and the Republic.

Lady_Misty and laloga like this.
  2. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    =D=

Really love this entire concept. I feel that so many of the "wrongs" in RotS could have been righted had the bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan been portrayed as being stronger. Obi-Wan says "you were my brother," but the way the movie is written does not illustrate that.

So I'm delighted to see what you've done here. :) There is definitely a more "father/son" feel to their dynamic here than "brother," but their closeness is still evident. While I personally feel that Obi-Wan would be a tad less inclined to feel shame on Anakin's behalf, as I feel that he understands and accepts emotions, I appreciated that you showed how he was trying to work through any negative "gut" feelings he had on the subject of marriage.

Very intrigued to see where this goes!

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, oh! This is going to be... interesting. As in awesome. So much could've been avoided, you moron. *Smacks Anakin upside the head with a cast-iron frying pan*

4. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I, too, am intrigued and excited to see where you take this "might have been"! Please tag me for updates?

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    1. Laloga--This is actually going to be the sequel to a story I'm writing called "Fate's Hostages." But I thought it would be interesting to see the end and then the beginning. After all, this is Star Wars. One of the things I absolutely love about ROTS is that Obi-Wan and Anakin have changed so much since AOTC and then just when things are working out, they turn on each other. If you ever want a really good characterization of Obi-Wan and Anakin and what things do and do not work between them, read Ophelia's Spirit Warriors of Angharad. Anyway, thank you for being delighted! Obi-wan's knee-jerk reaction is what the Code dictates, so his shame is as a Jedi, not the father figure. Thanks again!​
      RK_Striker_JK_5--LOL, I define interesting as "Oh, god, oh, god, we're all going to die." And keep the frying pan in its holster.​
      Taramidala--Thanks for coming to read, Taramidala! I'm excited to work on this subject.​
      *****​
      Entry 2​
      Chancellor Palpatine had quite a few choice words to say about the Council's decision to amend his mandate. He was too much of a politician to actually say that this was not what he intended, but he snidely remarked that "this sort of self-righteous autonomy is precisely why the Jedi Order must be held accountable to the Republic." If he had said such things in a press statement, the headlines for the holocasts that night would have been "Palpatine brands the Jedi rogues!" or "Peacekeepers vs. Palpatine! Who Really Runs the Republic?"​
      Wisely, I think, I went to this meeting without Anakin. He is as close to penitence as I have ever seen him and is willing to trust my judgment, but I sense a great deal of conflict in his decision to step aside when the Chancellor called so personally upon him. I do not think he ever anticipated refusing Palpatine a favor.​
      I still have not told the Council. I am not ashamed of this turn of events, no matter what the Code dictates. My instincts told me that I should have condemned the sinner for his sin. As the apprentice of a rogue Jedi, I feel that Master Qui-Gon would have appreciated that Anakin followed the dictates of the Force. Anakin has not claimed it to be that yet, but he did say that he felt he had to be bonded to Padme. After so many months of trusting his tactical judgment, I believe that I can trust what he felt back then.​
      The fact remains that, the will of the Force aside, this is a grave breach of the Jedi Code. Master Windu will condemn the sin, the sinner and the teacher. He will call for expulsion. I would look to Ki-Adi-Mundi for support, but I do not want to look as though I have been trying to subvert the Council before the matter was brought to them. ​
      And I cannot wait long to disclose this secret. It will go better for Anakin if we do not stall. I can't say that if he is expelled, I will go with him, but if he is expelled, I will request that he be assigned to my command in the Grand Army of the Republic. Most of my adult life has been dictated by the fate of Anakin Skywalker and, no matter what he's done, that should never change.​

obimom, laloga and RK_Striker_JK_5 like this.
  6. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Interesting.
    Love this switch.
    Love a level-headed Obi-Wan :D

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah, Palpatine is a rather good spin doctor, but Obi-Wan is too awesome even for him. :D And he's right, too. Get it out into the open ASAP!

8. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Entry 1 was very intriguing. I loved Obi's immediate offer of help, but not at Anakin's way - instead with time to think and make wise thought out decisions, very Obi. Loved the end, Obi's thought about why he would take the post. I do think Anakin's marriage was hasty and selfish and a token of unhealthy attachment so in that respect I certainly see that Obi would be upset about that in his initial reaction -- not because Anakin loved Padme which I think Obi would understand but because he took such irresponsible action, if that makes sense. Very good! Love AU's!

9. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Excellent stuff! Loving how Obi is juggling the various plates in his hands, in particular his dealing with the Chancellor. ;)I really love how he's trusting in Anakin's feelings for Padme but also accepting that he will need to take responsibility for breaking the Code and getting married on the sly.
    Really loved this; it shows how strong their bonds are, and how Obi wants to work to make the best of a bad situation, no matter what. Great stuff!

10. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Entry 2: interesting seeing Obi sort through this matter - beyond the initial shock of it. It's telling that he trusts in what Anakin felt he should do in marrying Padme, and seems very Obi. I think he had a lot of trust in Anakin, and I really enjoy seeing it played out in this way. Palpatine would be quite irked indeed! Not a pleasant thought. Great job :)

11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Sneaky Obi-Wan but helpful at the same time.

It might be a little OOC of him to "blackmail" Anakin but then maybe not.

12. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Anything you've ever written has been great. I dont remember you taking on Obi-Wan in the first person though. Im looking forward to your take on him. I think I remember reading in a post that you watch TCW. Do you think thats changed your characterization of him? I really liked the last thought that Obi-Wan would want Anakin assigned to his command if he was no longer part of the Jedi. I think that would have been true of the cannon Obi-Wan if only Anakin gave him a chance. Looking forward to more.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I personally had issues with the Obi-Wan who kept hammering in the whole "NO SEX! NO FEELINGS! BAAAAAAAAD ANAKIN!" thing in Attack of the Clones. By Revenge of the Sith, it was irrelevant and obviously not as bad as Jedicide.

Palpatine is a master of spin, but Obi-Wan doesn't trust politicians and as a fundamental point, that's a place to start. I don't see it so much as too awesome as not-as-easily-swayed.

Yes, I'm reminded of a fantastic scene (and this is going to sound weird, but it's the only way I can really explain it) by Ophelia in Spirit Warriors of Angharad. Anakin shows up pretty much half-dead after having goaded a Sith into a duel that sort of turns into a forest fire. He comes back and confesses to Obi-Wan, the man who killed a Sith and lost his Master to a Sith, that he provoked a Sith. Obi-Wan spanks him in basically the most parental way possible because that's the only way he can really express his feelings about the matter. It's a moment of "After everything I've taught you, I can't keep you from doing harm to yourself and that kills me" and it's beautiful. Go read the story so this makes sense. Anyway, it's irresponsible. It's spontaneous. It really wasn't thought through. (Really? You're using war as birth control? You can't blame an unwanted child on The Outer Rim Sieges Broke.)

I'm really going to struggle with seeing where and when things with the Chancellor are kept in check. I'm glad you liked the bit about the reassignment. I feel like that kind of characterization came through with his initial refusal to go up against Anakin. I'm not sure he actually went to Mustafar intending to kill him, but I think he went there knowing he had to be stopped one way or another.

Yes, I think Palpatine scrambling to find a Plan B would be amusing to see. "Unlimited powaaaah...." "Yes, the Jedi can draw on the never-ending source of the Living Force, which surrounds us, penetrates us..." "Come to the Dark Side." "I'd rather not. I've seen your dental plan." "We have cookies!" "We have Yoda." "Fair enough." "Thought so." I think by this point, they do have a lot of trust that is more brother-brother than father-son.

I don't really see this as blackmailing Anakin, personally. I see it more as a "You burned your hand on the stove; no, you should not play with matches." A little bit sneaky, but not conniving as much as blackmail implies.

Awww, thanks! I haven't written Obi-Wan first-person except for a gift-fic for Ophelia in which Obi-Wan has writer's block. I have watched TCW and I think my characterization of Obi-Wan has been pretty unchanged, while Anakin's has been altered. I've been impressed with how they've fleshed out Anakin so that things he does later seem more in-character. But I feel like they really haven't done much to reveal characterization for Master Kenobi.
    ENTRY 3

I have finally come to a decision on how to proceed.

I contacted Senator Amidala's office during the Senate session and requested a meeting. Her aide responded that she would be happy to see me mid-afternoon. According to Anakin, she has known since last night that their union is no longer a secret. I want to approach her without any air of condemnation, no matter what the Jedi Order thinks. I cannot tell if I should think of her as my daughter-in-law or sister-in-law, but she is not an 'accessory to the crime.'

And then I contacted Master Yoda and asked to speak to him tonight.

The meeting with Padme went better than I expected--we have long been friendly, but our contact has been too infrequent for us to be called friends. She was unapologetic about their marriage, though I asked for no explanation or apology. My brief recounting of Anakin's confession seemed to match with hers. I wished that I could give her more details on what would happen now, but I do not know myself. There have been--and are--married Jedi, such as Ki-Adi-Mundi. Cultural and biological imperatives demand it on occasion. Surely, this has happened before. The primary concern is not the act, but the subversion.

Padme wept when I told her that I would come before the Council as their advocate; I suspect that she has believed me capable of compassion far longer than Anakin, but to ask her about that would be to scrape a raw nerve on both our parts. I left her with the reassurance that I would do everything I could and she promised to provide testimony if it was needed.

There was a Council meeting between my conference with Padme and my meeting with Master Yoda. He gave me an appraising look at the beginning, but did not ask for any details of why I had requested an audience. We discussed the developing situation on Kashyyyk and decided to send Master Yoda to the aid of the Wookiees. We discussed the function of my 'assignment' to the Chancellor's office. Unkind words were bandied about for a few moments before we remembered that we represented the office of the Chancellor as well as the Chancellor himself and should not be showing such disrespect.

As we were leaving, Master Yoda invited me to dine with him. We ate in his quarters and spoke of nothing Council-related. There were julaberries for dessert and we both had memories to share of the julaberry patches on Alderaan. I remember being enlisted by an enthusiastic Breha Antilles--long before she married that Organa fellow--to help with a harvest while my master was in a negotiation. Master Yoda remembered hiding there during a thwarted invasion when he was only 209 and, I quote, "reckless and young I was, young one, but never hungry. Sixty years passed before ready to eat julaberries again I was, hmmph." I nearly smiled at the idea of him being only 200 and "young," but laughed at the idea of having so long a lifespan that I could go through sixty years as a finicky eater.

Then we cleared away the dishes, performed a short meditation together to focus our thoughts, and turned our conversation to young Skywalker.

Master Yoda is not a very emotive person. In passing, you would think that he only comes in the grumpy setting, but there are varying degrees of concern and humor. When something bothers him, I know because his ears droop, he rubs his hands over what hair he has left and then he starts making his point with a gimer stick. I remember that the first concrete advice he gave me as a Master, barely four days after Qui-Gon's passing, was a sharp rap on the head and the admonition to "be not a fool."

There was a great deal of hair-rubbing and ear-drooping, which I expected would lead to some corporeal advice administration, but he seemed too preoccupied to use that stick. He asked every question that I had thought of and a few that I had not considered, such as which denomination the holy man who officiated belonged to and its history with the Jedi Order.

His recommendation to take this to the Council was not unexpected, but his request to wait until he returns from Kashyyyk was. I suppose that he does not want Anakin to face the wrath of Windu without Yoda to keep things under control. I agreed to both conditions and asked what I should do in his absence. He instructed, "trust the Force you must," while his eyes told me to "be not a fool." I could almost feel the rap on my skull.

So, until Master Yoda returns, Anakin is to remain here. It is not house arrest, nor is it furlough. I should not watch his every move as though I were a security droid, but Anakin's behavior in this time should be above reproach. For now, there is no mention of what will happen to Padawan Tano. I do not want to mention any of this to her, as she is fiercely loyal to Anakin. I do not want Anakin to think that I am trying to replace him or he may do something rash, as he is almost as fiercely loyal to her.

I can only hope that Master Yoda will return soon.

14. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Nice update. You definitely have mastered this diary writing style. Obiwan seems almost an observer to the events that transpire around him. Enjoyed the Snips reference.:D

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I thought I posted here. I was obviously mistaken. I love this so far. Anakin never did give Obi-Wan a chance to prove how good a friend he could be. Now, Master Kenobi can show the true meaning of compassion, not Anakin's twisted version of it LOL

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I hope he gets back soon, too. And Yoda as a young 200-year old? I laughed. :D I can see his thought processes as Obi-Wan told him the news. Not pleasant, there.

17. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ooohhh I love this!

Though I do have sympathy for Obi-Wan. Him being the one to break the news of Anakin's marriage is obviously not easy for him and it's very typical he'd brush his own feelings aside to deal with the matter.

Looking forward to more

=D==D==D==D=

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    And I thought that my love/hate relationship with chocolate was strange.

So things are on hold as far as Anakin is concerned.

I wonder what Sidious is going to do now.

19. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Really lovely update! Loved the "meeting" with Yoda, and Obi-Wan's insights into the Jedi Master. I really got a sense that they were friends as well as colleagues. I do love the picture you're painting of the Jedi Order; it's very compassionate and sensible, rather than full of mindless drones reciting the Code, as other authors are wont to do.

This. So much this. The Jedi have rules, but I do not believe them to be inflexible; Obi's right that the heart of the "problem" is the fact that Anakin sought to hide his marriage.

Great job! Looking forward to more! :)

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Author's note: Last Wednesday, the power went out at 1:30 a.m. It came back on at 3:30 a.m. The heat did not. It was below freezing that night and my pillow is next to a glass sliding door. End result: I went from fine to death-rattling in twelve hours. I haven't slept at all tonight, I haven't slept more than half an hour at a time except for three hours on Saturday morning. I worked 17 hours when my boss told me I could stay home because I should be making money. Today is my day off and I'm going to bully a doctor into telling me what's wrong and prescribing something to fix it. So I may not be coherent enough to post for a couple of days.

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Your health comes first, of course!

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Definitely. Get better ASAP!

23. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Your health should be your top priority.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Bad news: Pneumonia. Good news: That's always been really good for my muse afterwards.

25. laloga

Jul 28, 2011
    Being sick is no fun. I hope you feel better, soon!