main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Inquisition's Here and It's Here To Stay: The Dragon Age Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by DocRevan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I used Sten for a little bit but he dissaproved of just about every choice I made so I stopped. I'll try him again on my second play through, maybe we'll be friends that time.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Oh hey, yeah, social site! Mine is fierydream.

I'm quite proud of that MSU though. :cool: :p

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Added! That's everyone listed so far...

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    OK, so, I just sent fierydream a friend-request, which brings me up-to-date for the moment (at least until Maulfly and Trimaj jump onboard).

Also...still no game, though my wife is currently keeping an eye out for the UPS man this morning. Already got my first character name picked out (it's something relatively historically authentic for a real-life Templar -- I pulled a couple of texts off our shelf to do a little research for this one), and I'm ready to ****ing go and catch up with the rest of you already-playin' a-holes. [face_coffee]

This whole thing would make St. Francis of Assisi kick babies.

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    There's some amazing voice talent in this game. I never expected to meet both Captain Janeway and Tuvok. :p

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    my name is this:

Soooo Death isnt your thing

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    My first major problem with the game:

The Fade section in the Mages' Tower. Not fun, annoying, and too much of a grind. I don't have any healing spells nor healing potions, so I'm dying, reloading, changing difficulty and cursing a lot. [face_plain]

8. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Agreed. While I feel it was very interesting in terms of the idea, the implementation of that part was off. Was so glad when it was over.

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I find that the "casual" difficulty setting is almost too easy. The "normal" setting can be quite challenging if, like me, you're all alone in the fade, you're not a tank, and you have no healing options. I knew being a rogue wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I got through in the end and I only had to change to casual for a couple of fights.

It's Sunday night now, I've logged 20 hours of play since Friday night, and now it's time to sleep. :p

edit - highliting spoilers just in case

10. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Eh, I suppose I should take start frequenting here :p Usually I don't come to these parts of the forums but since Dragon Age is so freakin awesome, I gotta do it [face_laugh] Managed to beat the game two nights ago and here be my profile.

And I have noticed that Aragorn's character has the same name as my character [face_laugh]

After I completed a game I posted a nice, big review for it to tell of it's awesomeness. There's no spoilers in there so don't worry and it was Tuesday that I got the game and not Wednesday; my mistake. I'm not that good :p

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I have played for way too many hours over the last three or so days. My recorded playtime is actually lower than it should be because I spent some time saving and reloading trying to figure out which gifts to give which party members, of all things. 8-}

This is a wonderfully rich, huge world. I've been doing so many sidequests I'm in danger of forgetting what the main storyline is. :p

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Awesome review, and welcome to the thread! :D

13. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Good to be here and to be playing Dragon Age :p

Don't get lost in it Xani, it'll consume you! [face_skull] As for me...*creates his mage character* Muwahaha! :D

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Just had the best moment so far...

Wrapping up the Elven Alienage quest I tried to get a deal out of Caladrius the slaver, but he didn't give me what I wanted so I had to fight him and his bodyguards. Once beaten he pleaded for me to spare his life in exchange for some blood magic altering spell. I wasn't having any of it, so finished him off. The best part though, I was using my dual blade weapons and my character just happened to do a finishing move on him - stabbing one sword into his chest and slicing his head off with the other. It was most awesome. [face_devil]

15. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Ah...randomly lopping off people's heads is good :D

I got some good laughs from the party members. The dialogue that they'll share with each other is lol-worthy, especially with Oghren who's pretty much my favorite character of the bunch :p

"Hey, Warden! You gotta hear this one! This human walks into a tavern! Eh heh. Ah ha ha ha!"[Snorts] "Ah ha!" [Falls Down]

Ah who am I kidding, they're all my favorite =D=

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Just left Lothering for the Circle Tower. Extremely frustrating at first until I realized that the Templar Nightmare can't be beat until I had gotten both mouse form and spirit form. Plus the golem form makes battles quite simple. Anyway, interesting story and challenge. Chose to believe Cullen and wiped out Uldred and the blood mages. Tough fight and now I will have an army of Templars at my side when I finally face Loghain and Arl Howe...the bastard. I will say that the elven assassin Loghain sends after me is one tough fight, even with Wynne healing like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway, this is a far more in depth RPG than I am used to playing. I had a really hard time with a game like Oblivion at first. Games like Mass Effect and Fable II were far more simple and easier for me to grasp whatever nuances existed. However, I am really enjoying this game so far. It's vast and completely sucks me in.

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Oghren huh? Is he a dwarf? I think I met him but he didn't join my party (yet). How many party members are there total, does anyone know? And can you get them all in one play through? Or is it like KoTOR II where some are either/or?

War Dog
    Alistair
    Morrigan
    Leliana
    Sten
    Wynne
    Zevran
    Oghren
    Shale

Are there any others I'm missing? I think there was a blood mage in Redcliff that I missed out on...

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So I started playing on my roommate's PC. My char is a female Dalish Elf Rogue. It's quite good so far.

19. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    polymath: The Fade portion was a pain in the butt as people have already been saying :p Not only did you have to use those forms you had to get them first b navigating the Fade. Easily the longest and most complex part of Dragon Age. But it should go a lot smoother now that I know what to do when I take it on again :D As for whether agreeing with Cullen or not, I disagreed and the mages joined my army!

...Admittedly the Templar are pretty sweet though [face_hypnotized]

Darth-Lando: No, that's pretty much everyone and you can get them all in one play through. The only problem is making sure you keep their respect for ya. If they disapprove of you a bit too much they can decide to leave the group and you'll never see them again. Something to add a little stress to especially because of how all the characters are awesome and you always want to make them happy :p

As for Oghren... [face_laugh]

Vivec: 'Tis very good :D

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It is. I may get it after I finish paying of my gamestop Mass Effect 2 preorder. :p

21. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I was supposed to get Modern Warfare 2 tomorrow but because I decided to buy Dragon Age...I may have to wait on that :p Doesn't matter though, for Dragon Age is just that good :D

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Still haven't received my game. Contacted Amazon about it; they fobbed me off to UPS, who then informed me that -- at the last tracking-point they were able to uncover -- my package accidentally somehow got misrouted to Mobile, Alabama. And nobody's seen it since.

Mother****ing yay. [face_frustrated]

23. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Can someone who is playing this on the XBOX 360 give me an honest, non-hyperbolic, opinion on the graphics?

Some of the more hysterics-prone sites I visit alternate between "WURST GRAFX EVAR!110001" and "worst graphics, ever."

Are they really that bad, are they bad like KOTOR on the Xbox was "bad" where bad only meant dated, or are they bad as in not as good as Uncharted 2 and Gear of War 2?"

24. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Here's my take on the graphics for the 360: they seem quite dated. Mass Effect looks tons better than DAO on the 360 but the game runs super smooth on the system. Really, it's worth just installing the the HDD and running it off it. The game looks fine but there are moments where it is really underwhelming. Do I wish I had bought the PC version? Maybe a little but I am still quite pleased with the game overall. The graphics only slightly take away from the experience and it's still one of the most immersive games I've played.

25. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I don't find the graphics a problem, I really find the gameplay engaging. The only annoying thing is that I'm a female elf mage just after the binding (no rogue in party) and I'm going to light the beacon, as it is there are just stacks and stacks of locked chests that I can't get into :(