main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DragonCon

Discussion in 'Archive: Charleston, SC' started by jedi-ES, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-ES

jedi-ES Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hello all people of the Lowcountry:

I just wanted to start this thread for all those Swamp Foxes who went to DragonCon to discuss their experiences and talk about all that went on.

I had a great time participating in the Panel on Anakin's nature: Fatal Flaw or Wheel of Fortune along with Swamp Fox member Jedi Scholar. The discussion was intelligent, thought-provoking, and coming from true SW fans. The rest of the SW programming was fun, my favorite being the SW Costume contest. All that I have to say is...

More Leia's in Golden Bikinis!!!!! 8-}

2. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    It was a ton of fun seeing all the gang again and meeting up with other Fan Force groups at the Con. ==Even if I didn't win the Ewan poster!
    The discussion panel was great and I heard the panel on action figures was also very popular. Mr Star Wars was very funny and well thought out.
    Of course, we have to give kudos to members Michelle for winning a prize in the Padawan division of the Prop Building challenge, and CJ aka Darth Porky, for winning third prize in the Master division. They had alot of fun and I thought that Bill was going to fall out of his chair with Michelle's slave leia outfit!

The costume contest had a bunch of great costumes like always, I also enjoyed the Miss Klingon Empire Contest, a very well done parody. Nice to know Trekies actually have a sense of humor. And finally, I got to hear some of the great Celtic style bands playing what I call "happy" music.

I'm glad we had so many people in the area able to experience it for the first time. It can be a bit overwhelming and some undesirable things you have to learn to navigate around but once you get a few under your belt, it becomes even more enjoyable. There is a sense of shock and awe-maybe not in a good way the first time, but when you come to find out that the so called "freak" holds the elevator for you and is polite while the clean cut "fanboy" pushes you aside, you tend to look at people a little differently.

Janet

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'm so very glad that some of you made it to Dragon*Con. This was my third Dragon*Con and it just keeps getting better every year. A great time was had by all! :)

And I will say this: I've been to alot of events at which mass quantities of people are pushed into limited space, and Dragon*Con is definitely one of the friendliest ones I have witnessed. Most fans, whether they be relatively "normal" looking or a bit more of what some would call somewhat frightening-looking, are very nice. It is as Janet said, some of the "freakiest" seeming people are actually very, very nice (of course, me running around in medieval attire and calling myself "Random Gondorian Chick" probably seemed pretty freaky to some folks :p ). Dragon*Con proves that you can't judge a book by its cover. All genre fans, no matter how they appear, are more alike than they are different.

Okay, I'll quit being all profound now. :p

I hope to see you all again next year! :D

4. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    I would like to thank all of those from the TFN fan clubs who participated in the panels, volunteered to help out with moving chairs, tables and setting up the room.

I met a lot of new people this year and it was great talking with you. Sorry, I missed the Fan Force Dinner, but duty called. I'll be there for sure next year.

Don't forget - if you have an idea for a panel or workshop, let me know.

Two major changes have already been done. The charity auction has been moved to Sunday (so don't spend all your money in the dealer's room now ;) and the MST3000 will be moved to another day (probably Sunday).

We'd like to make the "Mr. Star Wars Contest" a regular part of the programming and can reserve the same time for 2004. Just let me know.

Best,

Cathy

5. SirJorEl

SirJorEl Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2003
    Had a great time at Dragoncon 2003. It is my 7th in a row. And I will be there for Dragoncon 2004. If you like online gaming, there is a free online gaming group called the Combine loosely based upon the Star Wars Universe. They were there and will be there next year also. If interested go to http://www.swcombine.com/ to check it out. My handle there is Jor El if you run into me.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.