main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Droid Memories erased in ANH and not III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vaderbait, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I just had an odd thought, though I didn't sit down and contemplate it a lot, so there may be a hole in the theory...

But 3PO and R2 never come into contact with any of the PT characters or anything before the Jawas put the restraining bolts on them, and perhaps erase their memories? in ANH. This would seem likely because Jawas scavenge and don't want droids remembering they have other owners.

So after this has happened, they start to meet relevant characters (Luke, Obi-Wan, etc.) and are placed in events where it would've been possible for them to say anything about PT characters and events.

But these scenarios don't happen until after their encounters with the Jawas.

Make sense to anyone else?

EDIT: Fixed title

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    But didn't GL officially state they get erased in Episode III? Of course he could always change his mind.

But if you recall, R2 says Obi-Wan was their owner, 3PO says their last captain was Captain Antilles. He seemed to remember that, along with being in several previous battles.

But a well thought theory :)

ST

3. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    That's right, I forgot about 3PO remember previous battles...perhaps it was programmed? Or R2 reminded him? I doubt R2 gets his memory erased.

4. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    From this month's issue of Film Comment magazine:

Gavin Smith, interviewer: "One last question: in Star Wars Episode IV, why don't R2-D2 and C-3PO tell Luke Skywalker what happened in the first three episodes and who his father is?"

GL: "Should I really tell you why that didn't happen? Their memories are erased at the end of EPIII. In the end, when it's all finished, I'm sure people will spend a lot of time figuring out all the loopholes."

Of course, there's always room for interpretation about if the memory wipe is complete on R2, etc., but I think this is pretty clear cut. :)

5. Derrinson

Derrinson Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2002
    I just hope it's not done as a cop out to explain the OT. If it's done right, this could be a really sad scene as it should be because the droids are the ones that have been there for it all.

6. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    On the contrary, I can see this being an emotionally-charged scene, depending on how it's done:

Padme kneels before R2D2, her hood drawn over her head. She casts a furtive glance around her, making sure she is alone. A tear rolls down her cheek as she places her hand on R2's dome. Obi-Wan has already left with Luke, and Leia is with Bail Organa. She knows that Anakin has been lost to the Dark Side, and that her life as she knows it is changed forevermore.

"I'm sorry, Artoo - you know this must be done."

R2 beeps, a low, redolent sound that signifies that the droid understands, but still carries a tone of sadness with it. R2 tilts back, and an access panel opens. Padme presses a series of buttons, and upon closing the panel, Artoo reverts back to his default position: legs straight, dome facing forward. R2's power shuts down, briefly, then he resumes power. His dome surveys the room, and his electric eye falls on Padme, who has resumed standing and wiped her face.

"Hello, Artoo. I am Padme, and you belong to me. Do you understand?"

Artoo beeps affirmitavely.

"Good. Follow me then - we're on our way to Alderaan."

Of course, I can think of another scene involving Anakin as well, which I think could possibly be even more effective because of the tragic element involved... but I'll let some other people comment as well... :)

7. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    Qui-John (LOL!), that is pretty powerful stuff you just wrote! Boo-hoo! :_| I mean, gosh, you have Padme give up her son, and now she has to give up R2, who's literally been like a child to her as well! You are a cruel, cruel guy! ;) The only thing: there is a theory going around that only 3PO has his memory wiped, while R2 somehow holds on to his; maybe he's better at keeping a secret? It'd be kinda nice to hold open that possibility for the future.

8. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Its quite where im from 3:01AM Eastern Standard Time. Very good theories tho. Qui-Johns is sooo sad. :(

9. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Here is one possible scene I envision with Anakin and Threepio:

With a soft whirr, the doors to the hangar bay opened in front of C-3PO. Threepio walked through them and rounded a stack of shipping crates, his path taking towards Anakin's ship. As he got close to the fighter, he noticed the damage and debris that was strewn about the hangar.

As he walked closer, Threepio noticed a body lying on the ground. The gray-bearded figure was dressed in a black cloak. Threepio saw that that this person was missing his right hand at the elbow, and that there was a small hole emitting small wisps of smoke directly in the middle of the back. Unsure of what to do, Threepio took several steps backwards towards the stack of crates.

Misjudging the distance in his distraction, C-3PO backed into one of the containers. He turned to look at them, and as he looked behind him, he saw Anakin, head leaned against another crate, a weary look on his face.

"Oh - Master Anakin. I didn't see you there!"

Anakin paused, then looked up at the droid. "You should not be here, Threepio. It is... no longer safe," he said, replacing the hilt of his lightsabre beneath his own dark robe. Threepio was caught by the fire he saw in his master's eye. It was a look he had never seen before - a look that combined fear, anger, exhilaration and a sense of seething power.

"Is there something wrong, Master Anakin?" he asked, tentatively.

Anakin moved slowly from the shadow of the crates, stepping over to where the mysterious body lay. He stared at the body for what Threepio thought was forever.

"More than you could know, Threepio. More than you could ever know."

"Can I do something to help, sir?"

Anakin lifted his gaze, turning towards the golden droid. He strode slowly towards him.

"Threepio, I need to do something. It's difficult to explain... but with Padme... the baby...and me...."

"I think I understand, Master Anakin. You are my Maker. I'm just a protocol droid, sir, and not very good at watching over someone, but if any of my parts or services would be of assistance..."

A small flash of a smile crossed Anakin's face, but it quickly melted into a look of regretful determination. "Thank you, Threepio."

The droid could tell that behind the fire he noticed in Anakin's eyes seemed to conflict with the torn look on his master's face. It was if Anakin had become two different people, both occupying his master's powerful body. Anakin seemed to move differently now - a longer, more powerful stride, determined. But there was still that sense of sadness in Anakin's eyes.

"I just need to make a minor adjustment to your circuits, Threepio. Sit down."

Threepio was not sure what his Master intended to do, but he also knew better than to say anything at that point. Threepio sat on a small crate as his Maker reached for the circuitry at the base of his neck joint....

Surely some other of you have your own ideas about how this might happen...? :)

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I don't think the scenes will be quite so melodramatic. What with tears rolling down, and deep heavy dialogue. It might be emotional, or it might be little more than a foot note ('Go have these two droid's memory erased.'). It could even be comical (gotta have some balance in the last act as to not completely drown the audience in gloom. Even ESB had the whole thing with Artoo starting the hyperdrive).

11. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Could be, could be... I don't know. I guess that I just envision a memory wipe on the droids as equivalent to the death (albeit they'll get better) :D of those two characters, so I just envision the scene having a bit of weight to it.

Still, it's interesting to hear that perspective...!

12. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't think it's possible for the scene to be emotional. I mean, in the PT, no humans really interact with the droids. Luke and R2 had a bond, and in a way Solo and 3PO did, but no one truly interacts with the droids that way in the PT.

13. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Good point vaderbait.

14. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I can kind of see a bond between Anakin and R2, but that's mostly apparent in TPM. It's probably cuz they were both the shortest things there. :p

15. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    No bonds, huh?

Well, if you don't think that tiny little detail about Anakin building Threepio...

...or the fact that R2's been with Padme from the literal "get-go", and has saved her bacon several times over...

...or the fact that R2 and 3PO were the only two witnesses to the Anakin and Padme's wedding, thereby creating an instant need to create secrecy or suppression at some point in the future...

...doesn't bond them enough, well, then I have no way to dispute you! :D

Seriously - no bonds? I just got back from another viewing of AOTC, and I just think your perception of there being no "bond" between the droids and the characters is just a bit off the mark. Is it the snappy repartee' from the OT? Of course not - "or at least, not yet.". Just like all relationships, they build up with each new experience, but that doesn't deny the fact that the GL went thru the trouble of inextricably linking the droids with Anakin and Padme... and that he wouldn't hesitate to use that to his advantage, story-wise, in EPIII.

16. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    The only "fondness" or real interaction I see between people and droids in AOTC is "Don't worry, we've got R2 to protect us". True, Anakin built 3PO, but we don't see them actually interact, in fact, Anakin doesn't even seem to care Threepio is there.

I'm not necessarily saying this is bad, but it is obvious to me that things aren't as friendly between he humans and droids. Padme never seems to speak to R2, so the only thing we have to go by is seeing R2 standing in the corner of her room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.