main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dual-Alias Admins, Secret Agendas, and Firing Beloved Moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    However, on the plus side, it's making me look cool.

Please go on, I've got all sorts of insults I've been waiting months to fling.

:D

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    "changes which do not agree with the general feeling of the community and which reek of favouritism and hypocracy."

So that's something unusual? What else is new?

3. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Hey farraday, have you auditioned for mod over at StarWars.com yet?

4. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Agreed DLM, but where the talk is of sacking Chyren, Vertical and Padme Bra - 3 moderators of undeniable quality - I think the community needs to show its concern and disgust.

5. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    If people have legitimate complaints [which most do] then I couldn't care less. We're offering a free service and they can offer their opinions on how to run it better. That's the principle of this forum. However, people that plan and group together to cause disruptions by adding lies or trying to pass off things they've interpreted as fact instead of realizing that they might be very mistaken shouldn't be given the time of day.

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    oh wow. i missed a real storm here.

for my two cents, i have no idea about the backstage fighting, or the refuge, or anything like that.

but i do know that vert, chy, and PBra are three mods that i have a lot of respect for.

i havent had much interaction with preacher, and not that much with DL either, so it isnt for me to comment on them.

all the allegations put forward are certainly quite disturbing, as is the amount of fighting between different factions on these boards.

peoples, this is a message board for hecks sake. why do we need petty politics and power struggles? where will it get any of us in the real world? nowhere. at all.

give it up guys. everyone that has these ulterior motives, everyone that has these petty hatreds, everyone that wants to drive a stake into the jedi council (from ordinary posters, through to mods, managers, admins, vips, EVERYONE).

just give it up and act like adults.

7. Ralph_Brown

Ralph_Brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2001
    Hi.

I'm Ralph Brown.

I portrayed Ric Olie in The Phantom Menace.

This thread is about dual-alias admins, secret agendas, and firing beloved moderators, flaming, trolling, and petty, insignificant differences.

Not only should I be a VIP, I should be an admin.

Because there's nothing hidden or secret about me.

Everything about me is obvious.

8. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    Well, what a waste of a thread. The political corruption of an online Star Wars forum!!!

Frankly, I have never had any run-ins with any mods, and I have to say that they haven't affected my enjoyment here at all. At all.

9. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    :rolleyes

"Fact -- Azeem is an Administrator at the new Starwars.com message boards. His name on the new message boards is Carnor_Jax."[/blockquote]

How do you know that Azeem and Carnor_Jax are the same? Even if he is, that has no relevance to your theory.

While I'll admit that I don't always agree with the decisions made by the management, I do respect them for what they try and accomplish.

PreacherBoy has been warned for his general bad attitude. He does have technical skills that are a great asset to TFN which is probably the only reason he's still aboard, from what I understand.

Fact: It is not JC policy to forcibly demote mods unless it's a unanimous decision by a whole bunch of TFN staff.

(From what I understand of the tonyf incident, the staff panicked when tonyf posted drunk again for the second {third?} time and started skirting the rules. This is only the impression I've gotten, mind you.)

If Chyren, Vertical, or Padme Bra are asked to resign, I'll probably go out with them, but I doubt it'll happen.

For the record, I've read conspiracy theories about how members of the JC Refuge are trying to put their own people in positions of power here at the JC. An unlikely rumor with little foundation? Probably, but there are still people who believe this, just as there are people who believe TFN is guilty of favoritism.

Azeem's actions, though labelled publically as hasty, were actually condoned by most TF.n staff.

According to a person "in the know" at TF.n (whose name will remain anonymous), Vertical, Padme Bra, and Chyren are on the "short list" for firing.

I know you don't want to reveal your "source", but both of these accusations have little basis in reality. Azeem certainly certainly isn't the most tactful of users, but what has he done wrong exactly?

I see no reason to believe the above-mentioned managers are about to be sacked. Most of your argument is "facts" that don't have good foundations. Basically, I see nothing to support the last sentence of your second "fact" or any parts of your third "fact".

Here are some facts that noone will dispute:

Fact - Vertical, Padme Bra, and Chyren all have the status of "Manager", which is the highest that a user can attain, aside from administrator.

Fact - Darth Ludicrous is also a manager. PreacherBoy is a moderator.

Fact - Neither Vertical, Padme Bra, or Chyren have been asked by TFN staff to step down in Mod Squad.

Fact - PreacherBoy is a moderator. Vert, Chy, Padme Bra, and DL are managers. What makes you think that TFN is putting its "favorite" mods in positions of authority over the rest?

If there's any "favoritism" here, it would be on the side of the Refugee mods.

...And if anyone thinks I'm on someone's "side" in any of these wacky conspiracy theories, let me reassure you...I am not a member of the Refuge, or the Slacker Council, and I'm only a lowly moderator here. I have no secret agenda, and I'm not a "tool" of any sort.

:p

Like Izzi and Wattowatta said, I find this whole "Power hungry mods" thing absolutely rediculous! What kind of "power" does the administrator of a SW forum or a SW news site have? Not a whole lot!

This whole arguement is one big Ad Populum fallacy...an appeal to people's emotions. Popularity does not equal good management abilites.

The bottom line: There is no evidence to suggest that Vert, Chy, and PB's positions are in danger. I haven't a clue where you got came up with this silly idea. If you're willing to e-mail your source to me (at NathanDahlin@juno.com), I'd greatly appreciate it. You have my word that I will not share the identity of this person with anyone else before consulting you first.

10. NathanDahlin

Jun 28, 2000
    Look, both Mr. K and I are convinced this theory isn't based on reality. Neither of us are "sucking up" to TFN. Neither of us are members of the Refuge. Everyone that I see posting agreement with SDA is a member of the Refuge.

Call Mr. K and I naïve, but we do not believe that there are any conspiracies going on here. All I see is a whole bunch of paranoid SW fans that are having delusions of grandeur about the importance of a freaking SW message board.

Some are claiming that the Refuge has this big conspiracy to take over the JC. Others are claiming that TFN staff is showing favoritism and wants to fire some of our best moderators. I see no reason to believe either of these rediculous accusations.

Gets off his soapbox and settles down

11. Santee Ordrin

Santee Ordrin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 9, 1998
    nathan, I do agree with what you have said, it is just interesting on some sides. while tonyf, a mod who was and is still respected by a majority of the forum, was demoted hastily, for posting a certain way for the second time, Preacherboy has been warned and asked to take a leave of absence at least twice. For actions that are considerably worse. This is what I don't really understand. How the punishment seems to be waived for one within a few weeks, yet it is enforced for another indefinitely.

I'll admit, I tried to talk to Preacherboy initially, but he has shown to me really no repentance for his actions, nothing to truly warrant the respect his position as moderator on this board deserves.

You have, Vert has, Padme Bra has, Mr K has, YTAP has, and several others. DL initially did, but has since lost it. How can I abide decisions from those for whom I have no respect for? Why should I? Because of their position? I think not. Do these moderators and managers warrant listening to? Only those who are willing to listen to grievances, and respond in a civil and tacful manner.

This is not politicking. It is a comment from one who has seen alot on these forums, and who agrees with the sentiments expressed by several of the members of the refuge. I even agree with the sentiments of several members of the Outlaw board, Slackers council, and others. But that doesn't mean that I am pushing a hidden agenda of the "Refuge".

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You don't have to be pushing a hidden agenda of the Refuge to be unhappy about the double standards that are being enforced for the good 'ol boys and for the newer admins.

13. Santee Ordrin

Jul 9, 1998
    Thanks DLM.

14. NathanDahlin

Jun 28, 2000
    Thanks for the reply, Santee! I know exactly where you're coming from.

PreacherBoy's conduct in this thread has disappointed me, too. I agree tonyf was a great mod and didn't deserve a permanent demotion, I also understand the panic that must have gone through the heads of TFN's staff when they were informed "One of your mods is posting drunk again!!!". It's natural for them to authorize the administrator to demote him as quickly as possible. While that situation wasn't handled as well as it could have been, I don't want to bring that up now.

I agree that PreacherBoy has been behaving very irresponsibly for a moderator and representative of TFN. I am currently taking action based on that knowledge. If you want to know details, PM me, but rest assured that your case has been heard.

Yes, Preacher isn't behaving like a good mod. Yes, TFN staff has and will make mistakes. However, I'm pretty certain I can assure you that there are no hidden agendas, and that there are no plans to demote Vert, Padme, or Chy

Oh, and I don't think there are any "JC Refuge conspiracies" going on. I think those theories are just as rediculous as the "TFN favoritism" one.

tonyf likes this.
  15. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I don't seem to remember any effort by you to discuss things with me privately. Could be wrong, but I just searched all the e-mails I've received since I became an Admin in March 1999.

16. Santee Ordrin

Jul 9, 1998
    Preacherboy, this was before the move to snowboard. Back when the initial issues with LC were occurring. And it was most likely limited to either ICQ, or something similar. That is probably why you don't have any emails from me.

17. NathanDahlin

Jun 28, 2000
    Preacher, given your current attitude, any further messages you post in this thread will only aggravate the situation, trust me! Please take it up via Private Messaging and be respectful. Thank you!

18. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    ND- Feel free to make as many criticisms as you want about how I handle things, but at the same time don't be a coward about it. I mean, I'd appreciate some sort of Admin-to-Admin discussion before you start sending out information only to people that have a problem with me. I'm sure I can provide you some very interesting material, including a 16-page report of information about my behavior that was dismissed because it dealt with the same issue: Me not being reasonable with people that were being unreasonable here in Comm.

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Nathan - PBoy's made way more "mistakes" than the average admin throughought his modding career.

20. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    What a startling discovery!

Sorry, JGM, that just made me chuckle some :)

21. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    didn't know about the issues with Fatoby - continue

22. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    How is old AT60?

23. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    SYSTEMS AT NORMAL WORKING PARAMETERS!

24. NathanDahlin

Jun 28, 2000
    Talon, not right now please. We have enough to talk about right now.

PB, PM me! You'll do no good by posting. Your attitude has made you many enemies here.

25. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    ???B?Í?É?Â?¢?Ä?æ?¢???y?Ñ???b?Z?[?W?°?å?É?b?·?B

You can go ahead and message me. I have no idea what to say.

EDIT- Oh damn, this board isn't setup to accept multiple language encodings. Damn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.