main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dual-Alias Admins, Secret Agendas, and Firing Beloved Moderators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    Jesus what a mess.

look, You moderate, then you be a moderator.

You don't moderate or support TFN in other ways, hit the road.

It should be that simple. All this constant bickering is ridiculous. Whats the point? There should be some sort of standard procedure put down by the TFN staff that should be stuck too. It's the 'stability' that cleo brought to the place and we miss her.

ED: I remember when we wouldn't see such 'dirty laundry' aired in public. They were the good old days.

2. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Well, I've read the thread and I'm upset.

I have a long history of not agreeing with Izzi and this time I must.

PreacherBoy, you are, in my opinion, unfit to mod the boards. You look at things subjectively as oposed to objectively.

If it is true that he is here only because of his technical skills - then I can give them to you for free - and I know there are a couple of old phr33ks hanging around who also can help.

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Oooo! This thread is fun to read!. Like a soap opera... As the Boards Turn.

4. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    Well, I've read the thread and I'm upset.

I have a long history of not agreeing with Izzi and this time I must.
    [face_laugh]

Your peas from the same pod TC. ;)

5. boinga

boinga Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2001
    Chyren banned me today because he thought I was a troll, He made a mistake and corrected the error.

To me he was just being a good mod, not just for banning me because he thought I was a troll, but also for following up on it untill he could say I was a troll, all you have to do is the unban request and the admins do listen.

IF he was power hungry as you say then he would have just left me banned and not given a damn.

Vertical is a very good admin and what people want to do is making me sick.

Grow up everyone, the admins shouldnt have to defend EVERY action they make.

6. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Exactly. Some dip tried to convince me he Vertical yesterday going on this super power trip in the JC chat room. Good thing I was set straight.

I have yet to have any complaints about Vertical, Chyren, or many of the others. I personally find this all disturbing.

Can't we just get rid of the corrupt ones, and keep the mods that really care about their job? Keep the mods that really understand what modding means, and do their best to mod.

Please, there must be soemone that can fix this?

7. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    "look, You moderate, then you be a moderator." - AlphaWolf.

I have basically no qualms about the mods where I wander around. I have been accidently banned 3 times and the response time to my request was quick and I appreciate them for that.

But this fighting has to stop, it degrades all of us.

If you have problems with each other, keep it to yourself.

Plain and Simple isn't it?

Please, can we have peace?? :)

-SEA-

8. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Connemara, I am currently speaking with Josh and attempting to get some changes made.

For those who hadn't figured it out already, PeyoteTheCoyote is darthpsychotic, so I've banned him yet again! [face_plain]

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla, and everyone else who has voiced their support, thank you! I, for one, try to respond to unban requests as quickly and politely as possible.

snap-hiss -

1) What has PreacherBoy done to make so many feel he is a poor mod?

Although much of this is probably just gossip, he has a history of flaming people over e-mail, letting Lord Chewy access his moderator account, and having a generally arrogant and nasty attitude when dealing with "non-mod" JC-ers. You've seen him flaming in this thread. :( There are numerous other complaints that I can neither confirm nor deny.

2) What is the Refuge, and what is the concept of Refuge VS. JC?

The Reguge is a private EZboard setup by tonyf. The Refuge members occasionally invite the JC-ers that they think are the most respectable and good-natured to join their boards. Because they have "closed doors", so to speak, many users fear that they have some sort of JC take-over conspiracy going on. Rediculous, of course, but there are people who believe this. Some think that there's a power strugge between the "Refugee" mods and the "TFN" mods for board supremacy, which is likewise rediculous.

[3]) How the heck does a board like this get such politics?

Hey, we're a bunch of obsessed Star Wars nerds! Sometimes, logic doesn't enter into the equation for us. [face_laugh]

tonyf likes this.
  9. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    ok, I'm not quite sure why I was quoted there but I don't want my words to be taken out of context. What I mean't, and the rest of my post supports it is that if you are already a moderator and you mod actively then continue to be one. If you don't then, well.... don't continue to be one.

Just wanted to make that clear.

10. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I agree to a certain extent, Alpha. Typically, inactive moderators (such as Mr. K and Yoda the All-Powerful) are demoted to VIP status and notified that they may be re-promoted if they wish. Other moderators don't do much, but still post a whole lot, so we haven't demoted them.

11. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    okay, ive read the first page and the last two pages and personally i dont know why i even did it. it was simply a waste of time. i mean, cmon! its a message board. im not looking at anyone specifically but there were several sane people here that are basically saying the same thing as i am. but apparently you guys arent listening to them so i guess us sane guys will keep on trying to get our message through.

and i know this may be alittle more complicated than it sounds but im starting the think that some of you admins/mods and regular users are forgetting on why you came here. FOR YOUR LOVE OF STARWARS, thats why. if thats not the reason why youre here than youre just stupid.

we post about starwars and/or national/international news and get to know each other in the process. we assign some moderators to keep spam and cursing down. otherwise theyre just like regular posters. i dont know whats all this fuss about them having "too much power". have the heads of TF.N review them and if they wish to keep them or kick them, let it be. all this crap is so unnecassery. and we have several technical guys doing the major html work and all that behind the scenes. if they want to go work at another board, who cares? its not like they're getting paid(at least, thats what im thinking).

so what im trying to say is that we're all here for the love of starwars, not for creating scandals or causing stress and whatnot. so if you dont like things here, leave. otherwise shut your mouths and let TF.N do whatever the hell it wants to.

12. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Ben_Skywalker and others shared this emotion:

"so what im trying to say is that we're all here for the love of starwars, not for creating scandals or causing stress and whatnot. so if you dont like things here, leave. otherwise shut your mouths and let TF.N do whatever the hell it wants to."

Fine. By that attitude, if you're unhappy with the way your local community is run then fine. Move. Move far away to another community. If you're unhappy with the way your State is run, fine. Move to another state - just up and leave. If you're concerned over the way your nation is governed, fine. Just move to another country. Change continent, whatever. IF you're unhappy with the global policies, fine. Just jump in your little red starship and go live on Mars.

Would you go to these efforts? NO, OF COURSE NOT.
    If you're unhappy with the local government, you try and change things through regional politics and councillors. If your grievance is with the State, you lobby your Senator, you pressure the MPs. If you're unhappy on a national issue, you campaign to the Senate, the Judicary or the President.

If there is something wrong with your community, you try and change it from the inside. That's what this crusade is; a struggle for change - a desire not to just slip away, leaving the community as problematic as it was, but to bring people's attention to the problems, to the concerns and to the gross management failures and mismanagement.

If you, like me, has invested hours of work trying to improve a site like this, why should I be expected to just walk away because I have problems with the behind-the-scenes set-up? Surely it is my right to try and put right the wrongs and make a positive input. That's what this is - a positive input into these boards.

If all the head-in-sanders wish to shut us up for disturbing the peace and tranquility of this board, then fine - DON'T COME TO THE COMMUNICATION FORUM.

DON'T READ THIS OBVIOUSLY POLITICAL THREAD.

DON'T OPEN THREADS WHICH MAY QUESTION YOUR BELOVED JC.

I ask you - if you don't care how this forum is run, how do you have the gall to call yourselves members here? Yeah - you can sit back and talk Star Wars - sit along, not giving two hoots about all the efforts that go on backstage - but if you actually take time to realise what the JC is, you'll find it a machine with serious malfunctions at the very highest levels, which result in a less fulfilling experience for Joe Public.

I want to rectify this. I want the JC to improve. I want to frolic here the way I used to. I want to start caring enough about those people here that I spend hours profiling them. I want to log into the JCC and actually find interesting and amusing threads. I want to go to P(SA) and revel in the intelligent discussion and enlightening air of quasi-academia. That's what I want back. And as long as I want that JC back, it is my duty to flag up issues which are holding my dream back. Why? Because I give a damn.

The sycophants and human detritus who would wish this discussion closed do not give a damn. You want it handed to you, given to you like a baby being fed. Well that is not enough for me. I know what I want, and I will try and attain it.

Especially if it means ruffling feathers.

13. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    Nat I think demoting the inactive mods to VIP status was the right thing to do. There are some great ones,YTAP, jasman and such, it just took so damned long to do it. What I don't like to see is the membership as whole thinking we have active admins coming out of our ears when we clearly don't. That action helped to kill that myth.

Also, I think it's important to recognise that some admins pretty much work entirely behind the scenes. Chyren was a very visible member. His posts had kinda dried up and alot of members were writing him off but, I hear that he actively posts on the moderators board and contributes to the admins email, aswell as still posting here.

He, isn't the only one, so, I have no problem with that. What I hate is dead weight. I just feel that if you have the colours then do something with them. Whats the point of having them if you don't contribute in some way?

Essentially, this is the next problem the admins have to deal with. This constant public friction between moderators is not helping.

Just like to point out that I'm not having a go at anyone here. Just my 2 cents. :)

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Santee Ordrin...
    "Actually Cigam, I would be more afraid of DL combining EU Community back with Literature, combing SW Misc with Community, and instituting an EU is Canon law."

Hey, for the record the "EU is not Canon law" is absurd in light of LFL's "EU is Canon law." That is, technically, the Infinities and EU segments should be seperate and the EU segments combined with the movie segments under a Canon umbrella. I know there's several different ways to organize things, and I recognize the need for a seperate movie forum, but it should be recognized that the EU is Canon.

"Dl through either his lack of action, or his using the words of others as his own, ruined whatever fine rep he has had. When the Lit forum was becoming overrun with community threads, it was Gatherer who had to take a stand and do something. DL passed off any complaints about it as nothing more than a passing fancy."

I find it rather misguided to shoot down DL over this. Anyone who's frequented Lit. for any length of time knows that it was a passing fancy. EUC has stabilized and most of the "game" community threads which were overrunning Lit have all pretty much died off. EUC is for the most part made up of the same core Fan-Club, Mutual-Admiration societies which have generally always existed in Lit. Honestly, I can't say which is better - pre or post-split. But, then I frequent both Lit. and EUC. I know that there's several people who made the move from Lit. to EUC and have stayed there and for the most part Lit. has become less because of it in terms of diversity of discussion.

Darth Ludicrous, the Gatherer and Kadue are all doing a wonderful job over in the EU Lit and EUC forums. They should not be attacked if they try things like splitting the forums or raise a voice against it. In that case, it certainly wasn't good, or bad - it was just a different way of doing things. That's called doing their job.

15. Darth Vaernexx the Scion

Darth Vaernexx the Scion Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 1999
    From the absence of the lead in the first post, I knew this was going to be fueled by opinion.

I'll contact the New York Post immediately, asking to publish this in their Gossip column. [face_plain]

16. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Since last night, I have seen a lot of good posting, and a lot of bad posting.

I'll try to sum up what I have seen and done....

Max Veers: Azeem and I talked a bit last night via PM. I'd like to think that we've come to a bit of an agreement/understanding. Yes, he has done several great things for TFN, and although I was unaware of his involvement in the 501st, I respect him for that now that it has been pointed out.

I am still unhappy with his actions in the past, but I will do my best to leave them in the past. Yes, he needs some tact, but I will drop my "one man war" against him, because I was probably overtepping my bounds and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I apologize, and will do my best to treat Azeem with more respect, both on this board and elsewhere.

Nathan Dahlin --you have impressed me beyond measure with your handling of events over the last 24 hours. You have been very level headed and have done a good job of moderating. Well done, and thenk you. I don't know if I've run into you much in the past, but I hope to see more of you. Thank you for your service to the greater community.

Missy: ditto. Well done, and thanks for trying to keep us all in line.

Grimby --well said.

Preacherboy
    Before I had virtually no respect for you. Now I have less then none. Your condasending attitude is deplorable for someone in your position.

Scott, Josh, you really should move PBoy down to a VIP and thank him for his service (whatever that may have been). IMHO, he is far more dangerous to the TFN image than tonyf ever was during his drunkest.

PBoy's attitude towards non mods, and anyone who disagrees with him (everyone except Citgam ;) ) is totally unprofessional, rude and downright disgusting. You, sir, are neither an officer, nor a gentleman. Step down.

In general, directed towards the powers that be:

As you can see, some people here are doing a very good job. Others are not. This board USED to be a much better place. If things continue as they are, it could very well fall apart.

Many of us are still posting here becasue we'd like to see this place return back to the good natured, fun board that it used to be.

But we are complaining because there is a cancer eating apart at the structure that makes this place work. Please, do something about this before the place totally self destructs.

Prune out the cancerous individual, and see if we can get some real discussion between you and the rest of the mods and the people who care about this community.

17. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000

Azeem and I talked a bit last night via PM. I'd like to think that we've come to a bit of an agreement/understanding.

Then perhaps you should have a talk with PB over PM, and perhaps you'll come to a bit of an agreement/understanding with him.

--Mr. P :cool:

18. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    Damn the last few posts are starting to get more sane. I was hoping to see some sacrificial ceremonies and flogging and stuff. :p

19. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Riley --it's amazing what a drink or 2 can do to help chill one out. And a good night's sleep.

;) :D

20. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    This place wouldn't be nearly as interesting without PreacherBoy as an admin. Who else can inspire threads of this mass in communications every 6 months or so?

We need him for the ratings!

21. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Oooh dork conspiracy theories how very interesting!

it's a FREAKING MESSAGEBOARD! as many have said before me. Get a life if the best thing you can do is make people you don't know look bad on the internet!

[face_plain]

AT60 is 17 BTW for whoever it was that asked that question some pages back.

22. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    Oh. By the way. In the real world. The world where stuff is important.

They just reported a confirmed case of anthrax in New York.

Nothing on this Website should be taken so seriously.

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't be killed by anthrax, I have 10000 posts.

It'll all go away if I click my heals togeather hard enough.

24. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    And I thought those blisters you have were from wearing high heels.

25. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    You know I'd never borrow your shoes riley.

Oh no here comes s&v <burries sand in head>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.