main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DVD review thread

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by DewbackRider88, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    First in a stream of threads for my 'overhaul the south' campaign :p

Here is a place to post your latest DVD purchases and review them. Stuff like features, quality, price, actual film review.

Ill start us off with the season 1 box set of star trek: TNG.

After putting off my purchase of the TNG sets i was rewarded with a new, cheaper release on Monday. Each season has been re-packaged in slim-line card cases (much better than those gray monstrosities)

Picture quality is excelent (for an 80's TV show) and the sound is great (although i did not watch the season on my surround sound system)

The special features are good, and very interesting. But if you are already a trek fan (like me) you will have seen much of the interview and documentary footage before. The menus are great, styled like the LCARS system used on the show.

As for the actual show, it is pretty good considering its age. This isnt the best season of TNG but keeps you entertained all the way through and sets up later seasons.

All in all, a great set for £30 (the old release was £60+) I will be collecting these as the months go on, so stay tuned for more.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Oooh, cool. I'll have to get those when I have the money. I kept seeing the adverts for them last night as I was watching that thing on star trek.

I have a review: Dark Planet

This is a sci-fi film I picked up from Poundland and at first I was skeptical as to how good it would be. I've bought DVDs from Poundland before and they've been good, but something about the cover art made me unsure. When I did watch it I found it to be an enjoyable film, with a good plot and some good characters. I did guess one of the plot twists really early on though, it was so obvious. If you ever see it in Poundland then get it, it's well worth the £1 if not more.

3. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Oooooh, another Trek fan, were few and far between around here lol

The next DVDs ill buy will be:

More TNG sets
    Underworld:Evolution
    Munich

These reviews will come as and when i buy them

4. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    ...I'm waiting for "Green Wing series 1" and "Pride and Prejudice" (the 6 hr bbc version from 1995) to arrive on monday :D

5. DewbackRider88

Nov 11, 2004
    Horay!!! My TNG season 2 arrived today!

I urge EVERYONE to use play.com. I ordered it late evening on tuesday, it arrived here early this morning. Thats only 2 working days to process, clear and send out my order!

Ill start watching it soon, still a bit early for me lol

6. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    My Green Wing series 1 arrived just before I left, luckily.

so: I like it even better than the second one! I can't watch all episodes at once though, the characters get a little unnerving after a while, but my little dosis GW just before bed is exactly what I need :) the stories develop quite delicately, and the characters are wonderfully grotesque and endearing. The screenwriters must have the time of their lives coming up with the sketches and the poor actors are really brave not to burst out laughing, its so surreal. Not 30 seconds go by without some subtle comical element.

I bought via amazon Jersey, which even with shipping is a bit cheaper, since some sort of tax isn't payed. The service is good, it was here within two business days (I ordered thursday, and it was weekend and holiday monday inbetween) and everything was fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.