main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Earth Words and Their Star Wars Equivalents - a helpful index for writers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthThesaurus, Feb 15, 2007.

1. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I believe it's that the Anzanti is puffing on in the cantina scene in ANH, so I'm thinking it's canon.

ANd P_K, that's exactly what I imagined Deathsticks to look like too!

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Aren't cigarette's called 'cig sticks'?

Help?

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    actually they're death sticks, i think.

4. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Some details on Death Sticks, from wikipedia:

Cilona-extract death sticks are fictional narcotic substances found in the Star Wars universe. They are relatively cheap, and are smuggled into the clubs of cities by slythmongers. With each dose the user's life is shortened, and the successive dosages take away larger chunks from a lifespan. Death sticks are seen by some as a thinly-veiled reference to cigarettes.

Usually, death sticks are taken as an additive to a drink and are commonly seen in small tubes of red or yellow liquid. Death sticks are banned on all republic worlds, but are sold freely on lawless worlds such as Tatooine and Outer Rim worlds, often exported to civilized worlds such as Coruscant where they are peddled by drug dealers. The Bando Gora distributed a more potent and deadly form of death stick until the cult was destroyed by Jango Fett.

And a slightly more in-universe clarification from Wookiepedia:

Death sticks came in two typical forms. In liquid form, they consisted of small tubes of red or yellow ixetal cilona fluid, which could be added to an alcoholic drink (some mixed them with Fizzyglug) or injected directly. A hardened variety containing dried granules of the drug could be smoked or pulverized and then inhaled. The drug weakened a person's connection to the Force.

Rehabilitation for death stick addiction was available at medical centers at a cost of typically 2,500 to 3,500 credits.

What Death Sticks look like, fresh out of an illegal drug lab.

So while they might have affects vaguely similar to cigarettes, they are not used that way. And since the primary draw of the classical cigarette revolves around the lure of having a cool little white stick that you smoke suavely...a don't think we can say this is anywhere close to a 1:1. It actually sounds more like something halfway between cocaine or heroine, the way it's described. Hardly casual.

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    You've never heard of bongs then? :p

6. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    What I did in college has no bearing on this conversation!

*cough*

What I mean is, Death Sticks are liquids to begin with. Whereas, with a bong, the actual drug is dry, and does not come in contact with the water. Rather, the water is used to cool and filter the smoke that rises out of the chamber. Whether or not I know this from experience is absolutely and completely beside the point, and for all other questions on this matter, I plead the fifth.
    :p

7. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    There is some type of tobacco type substance that the Hutts like to smoke from a hookah, I forget what it is called at the moment. Yod, we will never tell of your silly collage escapades. :p

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you for the information. I was ignorant of the facts, as I never used the substance, only heard of the aforementioned contraption. :p

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Does that mean there are no cigarettes in the GFFA?

10. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    IIRC, Lando smokes cigars in his trilogy. Also, that ship thief in the Thrawn Trilogy (Niles Ferrier, I think) smoked cigarras. If those things exist, why not cigarettes? And even if they don't, what's stopping us from putting them in our fics?

In case you think those words are too Earthy, it appears that they call the substance "tabac". Go figure.

- lazy

11. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    And they put all kinds of weird stuff in said "tabac," so who knows what it could do to you in Star Wars. :p At least, Niles Ferrier could be recognized by the distinctive smell of the additives in his cigarras, and another variant came from the planet Haruun Kal. If cigarras exist, it's a good bet that something along the lines of cigarettes does.

12. ShadowofLures

ShadowofLures Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    is there a word for "hotel"? :D

-Lures @};-

13. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    I had the same problem with finding an appropriate SW name for cigarettes in one story and ended up using the name fungus- stick :oops:

I tell ya, I've been reading too much Artemis Fowl.

14. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Yep, "hotel". It's the same, I think. There's plenty of hotels on the Wookiee. ;)

As for the discussion on cigarettes, my perception is that cigarras are something in between cigars and cigarettes. I would simply call cigarettes "smokes" or "cigarettas" (or "cigarrettas" or "cigarattas"). There's also "spliff", maybe that would work.

15. yodas_waiter

Oct 31, 2006
    I'm pretty sure there's an in-universe word for elevator and my mind keeps coming back to repulsorlift. Is that it?

16. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    There are probably various other terms for either general function or specific mechanisms, probably due to EU authors being afraid to use too normal a word, but in RotS Anakin and Obi-Wan both call it... an elevator.

gracesonnet likes this.
  17. yodas_waiter

Oct 31, 2006
    Well, elevator it is then. Cheers Persephone_Kore! :)

18. 1Yodimus_Prime

Mar 13, 2004
    Funny how everyone else is so particular about this stuff, coming up with ingenious words like 'turbolift' and so on, and then George comes along and goes, "Weh, it's an elevator. And that's a laser sword." "But, but it's not made of lasers! And you already invented a word for it!...?" "Um.." <shrug>

I sometimes wonder if it's even a good idea to trust George with his own universe..

19. CHEVALIER_RYU

CHEVALIER_RYU Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Do you know any GFFA curse word ?

I know kreth and sithspawn but they don't go well with the scene I'm writting.

and expession of surprize like Holly ****

thanks.

20. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Holy Sith!

:p

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Holy Poodoo? :p

I think alot of curse words are based upon the culture and how well travelled the particular character who is cursing is. For example, I'm writing a story featuring Beru and Owen, and I'm making up curses and such based on Tatooine's environs.

22. ShadowofLures

ShadowofLures Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    Is there an updated version of this thread, or is this index all we have?

Just checking / wondering,

-Lures @};-

23. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    SW swear words: http://yodasyarns.0catch.com/swearwords.htm

I prefer flack myself.

24. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Is there a Star Wars equivalent to an escalator? Or cablecars/busses?
    I kept wondering while I was shopping this morning.

25. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I kind of think that 'escalator' would be an OK word to use in the GFFA, but probably not cablecar or bus. I suppose the generic 'transport' might work for both of those two.

Now, after yeasterday we definitely need SW equivalent words for:

pancakes
    waffles
    french toast
    syrup
    butter