main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Echo Base Ops [Deck]

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this is my second attempt at a "real" light side deck design, my first didn't work too well (an operatives deck focused on Ralltir and the Local Uprising objective), so from some of the suggestions Red' gave in another topic to me, I'm taking a shot at an Echo Base Operations deck. Now, I assembled what seemed like a logical combination based on combo suggestions I've read as well as common sense, but if I missed any vital card that helps EBO decks, let me know[face_batting] (hell, if there's any suggestions that would make this work better, feel free to post it!::) )

Basic idea is to get EBO up and running, with power generators as starting location, and General Riekien in the war room, and start draining systems with the Y-Wings as I "hold the fort" with echo base troopers.

I think I might want to get a fourth system in there but I'm not sure if that would be spreading myself thin or not, since the Y-Wings would be running off of permanent pilots only. Anyways, here we go-

Characters:

Colonel Cracken (Will help discourage my friend's frequent use of probe droids)
    General Riekien x2 (Extends the number of Hoth sites needed to be occupied to cancel EBO, which will be 6 now)
    Tigran Jamiro (Will make a good "doorstop" to slow down the enemy from gettin into Echo Base for an extra turn or two)
    Techie Droid (Use in conjunction with the spaceport docking bay at Kessel, since I anticpate some struggle in maintaining that force drain location-this'll help hit Y-Wings go to the used pile)
    Rebel Guard x3 (Defense grid)
    Echo Base Trooper Officer (Free EB-Trooper deployment to defensive perimeter if he's there)
    Echo Base Trooper x4 (easy deployment, main defense in stopping aquisition of Hoth sites)
    K-3PO (To act as the droid at a scomp link for How Did We Get Into This Mess?)
    EG-4 (Add to K-3PO's power should it come down to a fight in the war room and is handy in an underdog foght if drawn as destiny)

Ships:

Y-wing x6 (Ships for the "main drain" at systems-deploy for free with EBO, if hit while at kessel and the techie droid is at a spaceport docking bay there, they go to the used pile. Ones that are lost elsewhere can be retrieved from Koensayr Manufacturing when its deployed on Ralltir)
    Y-wing Assault Squadron x4 (replace the y-wings and cycle them back through for redeployment)

Effects/Interrupts:

Echo Base Operations x2 (The main theme of the deck, second one in there in case it's canceled and/or to get it easier into hand)
    How Did We Get Into This Mess? (Help cycle the hand)
    Strike Planning (Help get Riekien out into play)
    Koensayr Manufacturing (Use with Ralltir to retrieve Y-Wings)
    Rebel Planners (Added support to Y-Wings)
    Hoth Sentry (Use to increase opponent's deploy +1)
    Rebel Ambush (Throw in extra power and attrition immunity if needed)
    Hyper Escape [In case things go bad or if facing "Big Blue" I suppose]
    Sorry About the Mess [Will be fun to use with some of these weapons- concussion grenade for one]
    Crack Shot [In case "causin some hell" is needed]
    Blaster Proficiency x3 [gonna use this as a Used Interrupt, those added 3 should help take down invading forces]

Weapons/Devices:

Golan Laser Battery (Powered by Power Generators, pick off adjacent site incoming forces)
    Echo Base Trooper Rifle x5 (more same/adjacent site targeting fun)
    Concussion Grenade (Blow stuff up)
    Echo Trooper Backpack (In case I need some Matrix-like shootin' power...)
    Electro Binoculars (Choose my destiny better)

Locations:

Spaceport Docking Bay (using on Kessel with Techie Droid)
    Kessel x2 (Main focus of space force drain, got two in here to get it out faster)
    Ralltir (To use with Kiensayr Manufacturing)
    Hoth
    Hoth: Power Generators (1st Marker) (**Starting location**)
    Hoth: Defensive Perimeter (3rd Marker) (Help in trooper deployment)
    Hoth: North Ridge (4th Marker) (comes out with starting location for shield)
    Hoth: Echo Docking Bay
    Hoth: Echo Corridor x2
    Hoth: Echo Command Center (War Room) x2 (adds power to battles with leaders here, gives scomp link to K-3PO for How Did We Get Int

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    This deck has so many problems I'm not even going to attempt to review it.

Your best bet is to either: take out all the crap cards (which most of your deck is made of), and put in good ones. OR you could just make a new deck altogether.

3. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay, the way a current EBO deck is run is with the following basics:

STARTING: Heading For The Medical Frigate, A New Secret Base, Echo Base Garrison, and something else (if you want--its not neccessary to start off with 3 effects).

CHARACTERS: EBO decks typically don't need a lot of characters since the shield provides ample protection (at least until they make a DS version of the Generators or something). Basically, one of each of the mains (just in case) and characters that can be gotten out with the starting effects (to get Echo Base Ops out fast). No more than 10 or 12 characters total though. Use 1 or 2 Ice Storms to keep any unwanted DS people away. Sometimes if a DS player sees you have Ice Storms they will leave you alone there entirely since they don't know how many you have. Other times players get brave...

LOCATIONS: Be sure to get the most out of your drains since that is this deck's bread and butter. Use the systems that will give you the most drains, but at the same time be careful not to give up too much Force to the DS.

OTHER CARDS: You might want to try X-wings in stead of Y-wings and use Incom Corp. If you stick with the Y-wings throw in Koensayr Manu. since it certainly won't hurt. Also make sure that you have some starship weapons, Power Pivots, an All Wings Report In (or two), and at least 4 Organized Attacks. Other than that, what you fill in the rest of the blanks is up to you. Some other suggestions would be Dash and the Outrider, Lando in Falcon, Mirax and the Skate, and/or Squadron Assignments.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, well, to start my readjustment efforts, I've dropped the second EBO card as well as Crack Shot, replacing them with The Signal (as a starting interrupt) and A New Secret Base (didn't have third anthology so i didn't know about this card, which really helps things it seems).

Now, while I am new at this, I don't see that many problems with the rest of the deck- it seems to be able to set up EBO for space draining, with sufficient strength to defend hoth/echo base from becoming occupied of five/six sites by rhe darkside, but then, I am new to the deck design idea so perhaps I'm missing something. Is there anything in particular you find the most problematic/most glaringly considered "crap" ?

5. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Was this one worse than my Wookiee deck?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ::starts changing deck based on suggestions, will post results::

7. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    I really don't think it's a question of worse or better. Put it this way, it's not how good or bad a deck is as muchas it is the person playing it.

My answers are in ()

Characters:

Colonel Cracken
    General Riekien x2 (drop one of these or take out the Strike Planning)
    Tigran Jamiro (he's really not worth the deck space. Ice Storm will do the job much more efficiently. Just stack all your characters at the dbay and wait for them to walk into your trap...or sthey can stop and/or turn around and let the Ice Storm do its thing.)
    Techie Droid (drop this. if a DS player is gonna use a weapon it will be the SFS cannons which cause yiur ships to be immediately lost)
    Rebel Guard x3 (drop these. Let Ice Storm and your mains do your fighting and don't forget that the shields are up.)
    Echo Base Trooper Officer (drop)
    Echo Base Trooper x4 (drop, the DS will have to control just about every Hoth site you have on the table and that will be very difficult with your mains hanging around)
    K-3PO
    EG-4 (drop this)

Ships:

Y-wing x6 (For this deck to work you really need at least 10 of the Y-wings--especially if you want to use Assault Squadrons. And keep in mind that you will need four of these to draw destiny)
    Y-wing Assault Squadron x4 (drop one of these)

Effects/Interrupts:

Echo Base Operations x2 (remember that A NEw Secret Base and Echo Base Garrison lets you pull EBO right from your deck. Do you have these cards? They can be found in the Third Anthology)
    How Did We Get Into This Mess?
    Strike Planning (personally I would drop this)
    Koensayr Manufacturing
    Rebel Planners
    Hoth Sentry
    Rebel Ambush (drop this)
    Hyper Escape (consider putting in another one of these)
    Sorry About the Mess (drop this)
    Crack Shot (drop this)
    Blaster Proficiency x3 (drop these)

Weapons/Devices:

Concussion Grenade (Blow stuff up)
    (drop all your otehr weapons and put in torpedoes and Power Pivots and Organized Attacks in their place)
    Electro Binoculars (i'd drop this too since battling really isn't your focus and this uses up a ton of Force)

Locations:

Spaceport Docking Bay (drop for a system)
    Kessel x2 (drop one of these and put in Kiffex)
    Ralltir
    Hoth
    Hoth: Power Generators (1st Marker)
    Hoth: Defensive Perimeter (3rd Marker) (Force drain bonus)
    Hoth: North Ridge (4th Marker) (comes out with starting location for shield)
    Hoth: Echo Corridor x2 (drop one of these)
    Hoth: Echo Command Center (War Room) x2 (drop one of these, remember that A New Secret Base helps you get out your sites)

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    thanks for the suggestions, I came to similar conclusions for a few of those cards once I found out about A New Secret Base and Echo Base Garrisom (don't have third anthology but i think i'll be picking it up tommorow::) ).

Almost done with the revision....BTW, is there another deck type more suited for those echo base troopers? A few of the card combinations i had with those guys sounded pretty fun::)

9. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    I've been there and tried that. Unfortunately Echo Base Troopers are only useful when you know the DS will be invading Hoth with their own army and right now the DS has no reason to go to Hoth. Perhaps when Tatooine comes out and the DS gets You may Start Your Landing in their arsenal things might be different.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Alrighty, here's the revised card list- I decided to keep the spaceport docking bay cause I think it'll make Rebel Planners more versatile and able to deploy and effect a system that might be focused upon. I suppose if I dropped it I'd put Strike Planning back in.

Characters:

Commander Luke Skywalker
    Commander Wedge Antilles
    Captain Han Solo
    Zev Senesca
    Colonel Cracken
    General Riekien
    K-3PO

Ships:

Y-wing x10
    Y-wing Assault Squadron x3
    Corellian Corvette x2
    Spiral

Effects/Interrupts:

Echo Base Operations
    Heading For the Medical Frigate[**STARTING**]
    Koensayr Manufacturing
    Rebel Planners
    Hoth Sentry
    Echo Base Garrison
    Hyper Escape
    Ice Storm x3
    A New Secret Base
    Organized Attack x4
    Power Pivot x3
    All Wings Report In

Weapons/Devices:

Proton Torpedoes x2
    Concussion Missles x2
    SW-4 Ion Cannon x2

Locations:

Spaceport Docking Bay
    Kessel
    Kiffex
    Corellia
    Ralltir
    Hoth
    Hoth: North Ridge (4th Marker)
    Hoth: Echo Corridor
    Hoth: Echo Command Center (War Room)

Any other comments? Oh, and thanks for your help, Red- it's appreciated.

11. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay, there's still some things that aren't gonna work. Everything else I would say has potential. Of course the ultimate call is yours. And if something ends up not working the first time or not at all, don't get discouraged. Try something else, there's plenty of cards out there for whatever you have in mind. And finally, I like decks that take popular strategies and tweak them to make them unique (like your Rebel Planners). That will get your opponent thinking "Gee, if he has Rebel Planners in this thing, I wonder what else is in that deck that is unorthodox..."
    Anyway comments are below:

Characters:
    (Okay, you really need mains something fierce here. I know I said you didn't need many characters, but you don't want Hoth THAT unpopulated :) Enhanced characters would do fine. You also need Hobbie in there somewhere and replace K-3PO with R-3PO to reall make your Probe droid friend mad. Also replace Commander Luke with LS, Rebel Scout. You should be prepared for Bring Him Before Me. If you don't have any mains, let me know. And if you are insistent on that Rebel Planners, put in Col. Feyn Gospic from Special Edition. He will eliminate your need for the Spaceport Dbay since he allows Rebel Planners to work at any system while at your war room and he also makes it immune to Alter.)

Commander Luke Skywalker
    Commander Wedge Antilles
    Captain Han Solo
    Zev Senesca
    Colonel Cracken
    General Riekien
    K-3PO

Ships:
    (Get rid of the Corvettes and Spiral. You don't want anything that doesn't have some kind of immunity to attrition. Do you have Dash and Mirax with their ships? or Lando in the Falcon from Enhanced CC?)

Y-wing x10
    Corellian Corvette x2
    Spiral

Weapons/Devices:
    (Scrap the Cannons. 4 starship weapons should be enough. Remember you just need one weapon per Y-wing group for Power Pivot to be effective.)

Proton Torpedoes x2
    Concussion Missles x2
    SW-4 Ion Cannon x2

Locations:
    (Scrap the Spaceport Dbay for the 3rd marker, which I don't know why you took out. Also Corellia isn't a great location for this type of deck. Put in a 2 icon location like Corulag.)

Spaceport Docking Bay
    Kessel
    Kiffex
    Corellia
    Ralltir
    Hoth

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll work in some mains (I have pretty much everything pre-Special Edition, so mains aren't a prob) and I'll try Mirax and her ship since I have Dash but haven't gotten the Outrider yet (although I probably will shortly since a friend just got an R2 box and is bound to have some extras).

I think I put corellia in for the corevettes, I'll probably use those slots for the added mains then. I took out 3rd marker cause I associated it with the echo troopers and figured it'd make it that more easy to utilize Ice Storm-what did I overlook?

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Just so you know, Heading For The Medical Frigate can't deploy A New Secret Base; you need to use The Signal for it.

14. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Good point on the ANSB. Use The Signal to put that out and then use the ANSB gametext to get out Echo Base Garrison. Thanks Bib F. for that heads up.

As for what you overlooked on the 3rd marker...the Force Drain bonus. You can plop someone there under the shields and drain for 2. Mind you this will make people mad so don't be surprised if the DS tries to invade you. But that's what the mains and Ice Storms are for.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ok, here we go again...

Characters:

Luke Skywalker, Rebel Scout
    Commander Wedge Antilles
    Captain Han Solo
    Chewbacca w/ Bowcaster
    Zev Senesca
    Hobbie
    Mirax Terrik
    Colonel Feyn Gospic
    Colonel Cracken
    General Riekien
    R-3PO

Ships:

Y-wing x10
    Lando in Millenium Falcon
    Pulsar Skate

Effects/Interrupts:

Echo Base Operations
    The Signal [**Starting**]
    Koensayr Manufacturing
    Rebel Planners
    Hoth Sentry
    Echo Base Garrison
    Hyper Escape
    Ice Storm x3
    A New Secret Base
    Organized Attack x3
    Power Pivot x3
    All Wings Report In

Weapons/Devices:

Proton Torpedoes x2
    Concussion Missles x2

Locations:

Kessel
    Kiffex
    Corulag
    Ralltir
    Hoth
    Hoth: Defensive Permieter (3rd Marker)

16. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    No Leia? Do you have any of the EPP characters (Han with blaster, Leia with rifle, Obi-Wan with saber...)

Other than that everything looks fine. Now comes the moment of truth. Will it work :)

17. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    Why don't I get this kind of critisism on MY deck? j/k

18. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    You've just answered your "worse" question...

j/k Quest :-D Everything really does look fine now (except for the lack of Leia presence)

19. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    lol.

I think I'll take Bib#2's and make it a agents in the court deck.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I guess my decks are so good they don't even need any advice, huh? ;)

21. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    I guess. :D

I'm just glad I have actual people to talk to.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I only have some of the EPP (luke, obi, vader and maybe one more...) but have almost all of EJP and ECC, I'll try and throw a Leia in there if I can.

Sweet, I'll let you know how well it works, now, all i gotta do is find a place that has a 3rd Anth. ...[face_batting]

thanks again folks::)

23. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Definately work that Obi-Wan in there somewhere...maybe for Rieekan. Let me know if yuo can't find an anthology cause I know a store out here has some.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I tried the deck out against my "probe droid friend"'s ISB deck and it went pretty well! Since I was testing it out, he allowed me to "represent" ANSB and EBG with a piece of paper with the game text on it, since they were deployed in the first turn or two of play. I also had to temporarily substitute Corulag (I don't have any non-JP sealed deck cards) until I can get a sealed deck, and one Ice Storm (since it seems somehow, from all the packs of Hoth I've gotten over the years, and after managing to get 99% of the cards from that set in black-border, I haven't gotten any BB Ice Storms- an uncommon card, which surprises me. At least I got two white-border ones from some the Reflections sets. Oh well, one more thing to trade for[face_batting] ).

Anywho, I also noticed that including Princess Organa (who I don't yet have in non-foil form, but at least the foil one is pretty to look at and play with[face_batting] ), she serves both the purpose of cancelling force drains on Hoth, as well as what I had Strike Planning in there for- to retrieve Riekien- since she can allow me to retrieve a leader with ability less than 3, sweet deal::)

Again, wanted to thank ya for the deck advice and showin me some usefull card combos::)

25. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Glad to hear it worked out for you so far. If you can't find a Sealed Deck somewhere let me know. They aren't all that easy to track down since they came out like two years ago. And remember this one ruke about tweaking a deck above all otehrs: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.