main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, TRON Uprising & TRON Legacy

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 8, 2010.

1. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    It was a really fun, really slick film. I thought the story was simple enough to grasp instantly but with enough nuances to keep you going; the characters were all very believable; and the effects were simply stunning. My only complaint is that some of the action sequences lasted way too long. Other than that, it was really enjoyable.

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    saw it in IMAX 3D the other day and was impressed. It was just fun and thrilling to see the eye-popping (literally) effects. I don't go to 3D movies often. A lesson I learned from seeing Clash of the Titans this year. But if there was one movie franchise that was made for 3D, it's Tron. Another plus is the killer soundtrack, which I've already downloaded and am jamming to in my car.

I'd echo your post exactly, especially after I was burned by Clash of the Titans 3-D as well. But as you said, if any movie franchise was made for 3-D, this is it. The soundtrack and the visuals go hand in hand, and I couldn't see one without the other.

It was a really fun, really slick film. I thought the story was simple enough to grasp instantly but with enough nuances to keep you going; the characters were all very believable; and the effects were simply stunning. My only complaint is that some of the action sequences lasted way too long. Other than that, it was really enjoyable.

Completely agree as well.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Big difference between a film converted (badly) to 3D such as Clash of the Titans and a film made in 3D like Tron Legacy.

Add to that the fact that it is available in the vastly superior IMAX 3D format (which Titans was not in) and it improves the experience immensely.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like it's a prequel instead of a sequel now: TRON: Uprising details

..."There's a 10-part micro series that will premiere next summer that Eddie and I wrote," Horowitz said during an interview in Los Angeles, Calif. "And we've also worked on a couple of episodes with the series itself...

When asked whether the animated series will be part of the continuity of the films, Kitsis said, "Absolutely. And we're treating it very seriously." He explained that the events of the show will take place in between the events of TRON and TRON: Legacy. "This animated show will take place from when Flynn is in a safe house. It's from when Clu takes over the grid to before when Sam comes in. So if you were wondering what was the grid like before that, then watch the show."

Horowitz indicated that it will feature an eclectic cast of voice actors, including the actor who played Tron in both films. "We hesitate to tell too much just yet, but it will fill in the blanks of some things, and also explore some new areas as well," he revealed. "Bruce Boxleitner is in it, Elijah Wood, Linda Moore, Paul Reubens, Lance Henriksen. I mean, we've got a really cool group of actors."

He also suggested that some of the stories might piggyback on preliminary ideas that he and Kitsis developed for the film that didn't make it into the final cut. "To give you an example of how we approached storytelling sometimes is like when you're in the End of Line club, when we first meet Castor and he's being berated by one of the patrons saying, ?I want an audience with Zuse.' His name is Bartik, and there's an entire back story we have for him. The guy with him, his name is Hopper, there's a whole thing between the two of them, what they are doing in there, and how they got there. It's like over the years of developing this movie, we developed all these mythologies and all these back stories and all little tangential things."

Kitsis said that he and Horowitz came up with explanations for every aspect of these peripheral characters, and that gives them a richer mythology to draw upon for future stories. "Did we have time to do the Bartik story? No. But now maybe the Bartik story is in the animated series ?you know, he's got a huge scar on his face. I want to know how he got that scar. We couldn't sit down and write that there's a guy with a scar on his face without knowing what the scar was. So we hope it adds to the depth of the movie. Our intention is to try and make something that is more than just, let's go get something. We treat TRON very, very seriously and as writers we try to have a reason and a world for everything and not all of it gets to be shown because in this particular movie, we only had two hours.

"[So] hopefully it fills in the blanks in and in a fun way and an intriguing way."

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Details on the TRON 3 Teaser to be included on the DVD/BRD

the details that I got from the footage that was shot BEFORE Thanksgiving of last year to be a teaser of the future, it seems...it will be made up of at least 3 scenes.

One includes Bruce Boxleitner (as Alan) and Dan Shor (as Ram). Turns out that "Ram" was apparently running the FLYNN LIVES campaign and he's frantically destroying all of that data and files, as Alan confronts him. Dan apparently utters the line, "Why did Kevin give you the cool name" - which means to my way of thinking that after Flynn came out of the Grid, he sought out the human soul of Ram and befriended him and started calling him RAM - you know - some geek that wrote that Actuarial Program that helped people plan for the future...

Another has Quora showing up to ENCOM and getting acousted by the press because she's riding Sam's Ducati - and states that she just spoke with Kevin Flynn, yesterday!

The last scene that was shot in this mini-shoot involved text screens where you see the Father & Son... The Dillingers stating that everything is going as planned.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    The only way I'm sitting down to another Tron movie is if the opening titles involve Cillian Murphy and David Warner recreating this.

Otherwise, no dice.

7. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I'm the opposite. I really enjoyed Tron Legacy. The above mentioned extras sound awesome beyond all belief to me...

TL is still playing at the IMAX near me. Mentioning it again, I just might see it for the 3rd time this afternoon.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    =P~ =P~ =P~

Details on TRON DVD/BRD Releases

First up, we've got a LOT more details for you on the Blu-ray and DVD release of TRON Legacy and TRON: The Original Classic. There's no official street date announced yet, but retail sources are telling us to expect 4/5 in the U.S. and 4/11 in the U.K. (dates are obviously subject to change until they're officially announced). TRON Legacy will be offered in the following configurations: 1-disc DVD (SRP $29.99), a 2-disc Blu-ray+DVD Combo Pack (SRP $39.99), a 4-disc Blu-ray 3D+Blu-ray+DVD Combo Pack (SRP $49.99) and a 5-Disc 2-Movie Collection of both TRON Legacy and TRON: Classic (SRP $79.99). As we saw yesterday, that 5-Disc Ultimate TRON Experience will also be offered in a special limited edition with the discs packaged in a light-up Identity Disc (this MAY be an Amazon-exclusive or at least limited to select retailers - SRP $99.99). Extras on the TRON Legacy DVD will include a first look at the TRON Uprising Disney XD animated series and 2 featurettes (Visualizing TRON and Installing the Cast). The Blu-ray versions will add the exclusive The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed added footage, the Disney Second Screen option to watch the film on a 2nd portable device with exclusive interactive features, Daft Punk's Derezzed music video and 2 more featurettes (Launching the Legacy and Disc Roars - the latter was recorded during last July's panel at Comic-Con). The 4-disc Blu-ray will include add the Blu-ray 3D disc, plus DVD and Digital Copy discs. The 5-Disc 2-Movie Collection will include everything in the 4-disc TRON Legacy Blu-ray, and will add the TRON: The Original Classic Blu-ray as well.

Speaking of which, TRON: The Original Classic will street the same day on 2-disc DVD (SRP $29.99) and 2-disc Blu-ray (SRP $39.99). The DVD will include most of the previous DVD special edition features, along with audio commentary by director Steven Lisberger and others, and the all-new The TRON Phenomenon featurette. To this, the Blu-ray will add the exclusive Photo TRONology. The Blu-ray will also include a bonus DVD.

Multiple retail sources are suggesting to us today that the street date will be 4/5 in the U.S., but that's still officially TBA

[image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covershd02/ultimatetronexperiencebrd.jpg]
    [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covershd02/tronlegacy3dbrd.jpg] [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covershd02/tronlegacybrd.jpg] [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covershd02/tronclassicbrd.jpg]
    [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers6/tronlegacydvd.jpg] [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers6/tronclassicsedvd.jpg] [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covershd02/tron2moviecombobrd.jpg]

9. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    April 5th? Is that an unusually fast theatre-to-DVD time or does it just seem that way to me for some reason?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds about right for a winter film- TL will have been in theaters for 3.5 months by then, so it's theatrical gross will have been completed by then.

For comparison, Social Network came out on video a week or two ago, and that came out back at the start of October, so that was also about 3.5 months.

Only the summer movies really get longer delays for video (Inception, for example, was July/Dec, about 4-4.5 months), mostly so they can cash in for the holidays.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    That looks 100% badass.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    VERY Cool. The documentary approach coupled with the allegations of corporate conspiracy and industrial espionage made it feel VERY District 9.

:cool:

I think am offically a Tron fan...

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I also love how it integrates the viral marketing build-up to the film into the actual backstory of the movie- like the helicopter stunt.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Derezzed Official Music Video

Different than the pre-release one that had just footage from Legacy, this one is all original, in a style between the original film and Legacy.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I'm working up a list ofreferences to the original film found in Legacy, as well as any other easter eggs.

I've gone through what I've seen mentioned online in various interviews with the director or articles dealing with this subject, but since there were others I was able to add beyond these, there certainly must be others, so if anyone remembers (or, after the video release next week, finds) any others, feel free to point them out (or confirm some of the hazier ones):

Homages to Original Film (and Easter Eggs Pertaining to it):

-The tilted, rotating perspective of the title logo simulates the rotating of the original film's title logo.

-Kevin hums the Wendy Carlos title theme to TRON when he plays with the action figures.

-The poster art to TRON is repurposed as a poster for the Encom game of the same name.

-"Now that is a big door." Both Sam and Kevin say this line as they break into Encom at night (using similar methods).

-Cillian Murphy's cameo character is the son of Edward Dillinger, David Warner's character.

-Sam lives in a garage that says "DUMONT" on it. Dumont was the name of the tower guardian program written by Barnard Hughes's character, Walter Gibbs, who mentioned the garage as being where he started Encom from.

-Sam changes his shirt upon entering his garage apartment upon having a vistor. Kevin does the same in his arcade apartment when he has vistors.

-The same Space Paranoids billboard is above Flynn's Arcade (although it now mentions Tron on there too).

-The street sign outside Flynn's Arcade says "Mead Street", refering to original Tron designer Syd Mead.

-Journey songs play in Flynn's Arcade in both movies.

-An actual TRON arcade game has been repurposed as an Encom arcade game.

-Flynn's secret lab has multiple easter eggs: Flynn's handheld game from the first film, the MCP, spec details and early versions of the Shiva laser, etc.

-"Oh man, this isn't happening". Spoken by both Sam and Flynn when they arrive on the Grid.

-A Tank makes a brief cameo as Sam looks below from within the Recognizer.

-Same sound effects from "TRON: Deadly Discs" is used for Sam and Rinzlr in the arena (unconfirmed).

-Models of Bit are on Flynn's mantle (interacted with by only Flynn and CLU ala the original film).

-Director of original TRON, Steve Lisberger cameos as the End of Line bartender.

-"Finish the game!" Ordered by both SARK and CLU.

Other Easter Eggs:

-Sam's bedroom has a poster for The Black Hole, the remake of which will be directed by Legacy's director. Also has a 1980s Mac.

-Sam has an "89" Flynn Lives logo patch on him, referencing the viral campaign.

-Hidden Mickey with the sabotaged security camera.

-After Sam is taken into custody, you can see a backlit "2" on the side of a building as the Recognizer is taking off. It is the same "2" used in the "TR2N" title font from the Comic-Con test footage.

-Hall H vocals from Comic-Con are used for arena chants.

-Rinzler is named after the author of The Making of Star Wars, J.W. Rinzler.

-The game Quorra rarely beats Flynn at is "Go"- a game in real life that, unlike Chess, is notoriously difficult for computer programs to play well against a human player.

-"The only winning move is not to play." A reference to the movie "War Games". Related: CLU has a chess board.

-Gem is named after the GEM graphical environment that ran on Atari ST & DOS machines.

-Zuse is named after Konrad Zuse, creator of the first computer.

-Daft Punk cameos as the End of Line DJs.

-A (digitized) Wilhelm scream can be heard as last Black Guard is killed by Sam in the command room.

-The LOST numbers are hidden in the film somewhere.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    During the TCW finale, they were airing promo BTS spots from Legacy on CTN during the commercial breaks- and they had a whole segment on how Rinzler is Tron. I guess they don't care about keeping that secret/avoiding that spoiler anymore...

23. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    This weekend, Showtime has been playing the original TRON, and I believe it might be playing it on the 5th, as well. No tie-ins with the DVD or anything of that nature, just the movie...

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Stopped by Best Buy on the way home to pick up some copies- was able to grab the 4-disc set but they were sold out of the original TRON blu-ray. Also seems the 5-disc collectors set sold out really quick too.

Wasn't planning on getting the 5-disc set so that didn't bother me too much- I might have considered it, had the 5-disc set had the original TRON in both Blu-Ray and DVD instead of just Blu-ray.

But, between the Disney coupon and the "buy with Legacy" discounts, the 4-disc set and original TRON BD combo pack were the best value to go with (had to get a raincheck on the latter, obviously).

25. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I pre-ordered the 5 disc set on Amazon, which is good, but now I have to wait for it to arrive... For a bonus, they just sent an email which said I get $4.00 rebate for the price protection.

I ordered it along with the new remixed (or "de-rezzed") soundtrack.