main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Enigma...Obi overhears a plot and Qui is taken to force Obi to tell what he knows UPDATED 9/8!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Title: Enigma
    Author: Durhelediel
    Rating: Version #1:R, for graphic torture scenes and descriptions (posted on The Cloister)
    Version #2:pG-13, for torture scenes
    Disclaimer: Recognizable Star Wars characters belong to George Lucas. What I do with them at no cost is my own business.
    Dedication: To Layren. Also, Jedi Master Kyran Josel belongs to Layren, so please ask her before taking him out to playâ??thanks!
    Summary: When Obi-Wan learns a piece of vital information on accident, his knowledge becomes his nightmare as Qui-Gon is held hostage in order to force Obi-Wan to tell what he knows.

Chapter One

The line of doors leading to individual quarters for Jedi teams stood like silent sentinels, guarding the few items within each apartment with wired locks and technology that was advanced.

But not advanced enough to keep out a prankster skilled at slicing.

//I can't believe we're doing this,// Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn remarked dryly from his hiding position in a false wall that he and his childhood friend, Kyran Josel, had discovered when they were much younger. //As Masters, we're supposed to be setting examples for our Padawans, not showing them the fastest way to get whacked by Yoda's gimmerstick.//

Jedi Master Kyran Josel grinned, his green eyes twinkling with merriment as they waited for the lunch crowd to return to their quarters. //Every time we've been hit by Master Yoda, it's always been worth it.//

//Speak for yourself!// Qui-Gon protested, trying to shift himself around to a more comfortable position inside the wall. //Ugh, I remember this space being biggerâ?¦//

Kyran laughed quietly and reached up to tie back his shoulder-length blonde hair. //You've grown, my friend.//

//No, I think the space shrunkâ?¦// Qui-Gon insisted as he moved his right arm around a little so he could press against the slatted wall to see better. //Waitâ?¦I sense them approaching.//

//Show time,// Kyran remarked gleefully.

A female Jedi Master and her padawan were walking down the corridor. Their room was the next to last one on the end. Holding their breath, the two male pranksters waited.

"â?¦and next time we'll eat after you practice your katas," the Twi'lek Master was saying to her human padawan. "That way you won't keep trying to eat everything I have stashed away in the kitchenette when you and I return."

The little dark-haired girl laughed, a light sound in the empty hall. "Thank you, Master Ray'dase. Iâ?¦"

But she didn't get to finish her sentence for she had tried to key open the door to their quarters, and the door had not moved an inch.

"What?" The padawan tried again, but the door still stayed in place.

"Honestly, Lunara, did you forget the passcode again?" Master Ray'dase mildly rebuked in an exasperated tone. She stepped to the door and began keying in the code.

Qui-Gon saw Kyran's fingers flying over the small wireless terminal he had balanced on the door, changing the door's functions from stubbornly refusing to open, toâ?¦

"See? You just have to have the rightâ?¦"

Qui-Gon returned his attention to the Jedi Master as the door slid only halfway open. The girl's eyes were as round as credits, and the Twi'lek's headtails began to twitchâ??a sure sign of irritation.

"Hm, let me try again." The code was punched in, and the door slammed shut. "What on Coruscant's moonsâ?¦"

The faint sound of typing could be heard to Qui-Gon's right, and on the next try of the passcode, the door to the left of the Jedi's quarters opened smoothly.

The padawan yelped.

Qui-Gon fought a laugh at the expression on the Twi'lek's face. What made this situation all the more humorous to him was the fact that he knew the Jedi Master very well. She did not understand human humor, so playing a joke on her was always great fun as it took her a long time to understand what was happening.

"This isn't rightâ?¦" Bilva Ray'dase murmured, tapping a talon

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wow, I'm intrigued indeed. Very good!

3. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Definitely interesting. I can't wait to read more.

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    OOoooh yay! It's been started! I wonder what Obi overheard..

5. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    "He is Jedi," the other scoffed. "He heard it, all right."

Another pregnant pause, then, "Identify him. We know what it is that must be done. By the time we are through with him, he will wish the Jedi never noticed he had ever been born."

[face_laugh] Is that a threat or a promise?

What a nice Sithly story, D. I am glad that I noticed it when I had a little time! :D

More, please! [face_batting]

Star

6. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Valairy_Scot- Welcome! I'm glad you like! Enjoy!

_Sithspawn_- Nice to see you again! Keep reading!

Layren- You get a lot of 'hints' in this next chap, but no full view. Don't want to spoil ya.

Star- Yay you're with me again! Hope you like!

7. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Two

?Sir, I?ve identified the Padawan who was in the corridor.?

An older man with intensely dark eyes framed by an amber iris turned at once from his quiet contemplation of the next move that he should take against the unfortunate eavesdropper. ?Who is it?? He gazed at the split screen in front of him?one side held their holocam still-frame of the young padawan?s face, and the other had an official photo of the boy with information scrolling underneath it.

?Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, aged seventeen Standard years, human, male, Padawan to Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, many notations for bravery in here?? the skinny man in control of the datasearch rattled off, his eyes scanning the scrolling information rapidly.

?Look for exploitable weaknesses,? the older gentleman behind the controller interrupted smoothly.

The controller seemed doubtful. ?Sir, he?s a Jedi??

Nearly black eyes surrounded by gold calmly appraised the younger man in front of him. ?He is still human, Corei. Slice into his medical files.?

As Corei complied with his order, the distinguished gentleman thought on his problem more. He had been hired by a shadow corporation to start a unified resistance in the Galactic Senate against Supreme Chancellor Vallorum. He did not ask why; he simply agreed and took the offered payment. He had been recruited for this mission because he was the best?his entire career consisted of only one failure, and he had not disappointed any employer since.

Yet, to go against the Jedi Order?

He had always been extremely cautious in his business affairs so as to not attract the attention of the Jedi. He rather admired them and how they remained honorable warriors; he was not pleased to suddenly find himself in a situation that would warrant the capture of a young Jedi apprentice. He had already dispatched the incompetent who had not been watching the security cams in the hallway, thus allowing the Padawan to hear their plans. Mistakes were not tolerated.

?Got something, sir!?

The only reply was the lazy lift of a finely-shaped brow.

?I found a list of allergies,? Corei explained. ?One of them is in a red label.?

?No!? was the barked reply. ?We do not wish to kill the boy, yet. First, we need to find out what he knows, and if he has talked to anyone.? The gentleman pointed at a small list of blue labeled allergies. ?One of these?whichever we have available at our immediate disposal. I want that boy on my ship within the next hour, am I understood??

Corei nodded. ?Yes, Count Regen.?

The count turned to depart. ?Do not disappoint me, Corei.?
    As the young man assured him that the Jedi Padawan would be his captive, the count took his leave. He had other plans to make now; namely, how to keep a Jedi prisoner. And he had to tell his employer of the slight hitch in the program.

This business arrangement was already taking a sour turn.

~~~~~

Obi-Wan raced into the apartment he shared with his master, Qui-Gon Jinn, nearly an hour after he had first discovered the plans of a coup in the Senate, and the possible assassinations of several Senators who were fiercely loyal to Supreme Chancellor Vallorum. To his shock and dismay, he saw that his master was not in their quarters.

He had no time to lose. If there were people smart enough to hatch a valid plan against the Senate, then Obi-Wan was sure they would certainly have a way to track down who had been listening to their conversation?and that would lead them to him.

Obi-Wan quickly grabbed his datapad and entered all he could remember about what he had heard?names of those involved, names of target Senators, the events, when it would take place, and where. Once he was done, he hesitated. Perhaps no one knew it was he who had been listening at the door and he was overreacting. Maybe Qui-Gon would have a plan to immediately bring the plotters against the Senate to the proper attention.

And then again, maybe not. If there was one thing that Qui-Gon was always drumming into Obi-Wan?s head

8. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    So, it's a count. Makes me think of Dooku...the amber eyes would make sense. Could be someone else, though.

He obviously wants Obi-Wan out of the picture for a while...and probably thinks he can bend Qui-Gon to his will.

Can't wait to see how things unfold.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, this is getting interesting...but Obi can't breathe! I thought they didn't want to kill him.

Looking forward to more...nice and intriguing.

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Lana chuckled. ?Yep. He and Kyran are being reprimanded in the Council chambers. Do you really want to go in there right now??

Reprimanded again :p Methinks Ky should have played his prank better :p

Whee here's where the fun starts! Erm, did I say that? I meant to say .. uh-oh poor Obi!

11. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Up! :) This is really interesting! Will Obi be okay?? :eek:

12. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Sorry it took so long. I re-started this next chapter a total of four times before I finally got it to go the way I wanted it to. lol

_Sithspawn_- Hm, I'm not tellin'. lol

Valairy_Scot- You'll see, but not in this chapter, lol.

Layren- Yep, it's about to get tense...

Master_Kaym- Glad to have you with me again! You'll have to wait and see...

13. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Three

Qui-Gon sighed as he left the Jedi Council chambers. As usual, facing the Council had not been beneficial for either him or them.

"Qui, you need to learn how not to ruffle their feathers...or whatever," Kyran was cautioning him for the millionth time in their friendship. "You just seem to automatically pick an argument with them, no matter why we have to talk to them."

"I know," the tall Jedi Master responded. "But I swear Mace chooses just the right tone and framing of words to get me to act my worse in front of the Council."

Kyran shot him a look. "And this surprises you?"

Qui-Gon had to chuckle and shake his head. "You're right...it shouldn't. But..."

"Qui-Gon! Kyran! There you are! I was beginning to think you two had taken up permanent residence in the Council chambers," came an exclamation from the waiting area.

A lithe woman with six black braids hurried up to them, her petite features set in worry that Qui-Gon suddenly felt had nothing to do with them. His stomach gave a lurch of unknown fear as Lana Marks Josel embraced her husband, then turned to him.

"Qui-Gon, have you talked to Obi-Wan yet today?"

The bearded man frowned. "Should I have? He's with Councilwoman Plamueria..."

Lana cut him off with an impatient shake of her braids. "No, he's not. He contacted me from your quarters nearly four hours ago. He seemed upset, though he hid it well. He was desperate to reach you. I told him to grab a bite to eat while he waited for you to finish with the Council, and I assumed that was where he had gone. As the hours passed, I grew worried when I heard from none of you and went to the cafe-no one was there. Naturally, I thought, he'd be up here, waiting for you. But as you can see," she finished as she gestured around them to the otherwise empty reception area, "he is not here."

Kyran and Qui-Gon exchanged a glance, both of them feeling the same sort of foreboding that was creeping its way around Qui-Gon's heart.

"I'm sure he's okay," Kyran began. "If he was that worried, maybe he's hiding..."

"No," Qui-Gon cut him off. "Obi-Wan would be up here, waiting for me. We need to find him, and find out what he was concerned about."

"We'll search with you," Lana immediately spoke up.

Qui-Gon thought for a moment. As much as he wanted to find Obi-Wan himself, the more people searching for his missing padawan, the faster it would be to discover where he had gone. "Okay," he said at last. "I'll go to our quarters. Lana, go back to the cafe and speak to anyone who is there. Try to find the workers; maybe one of them saw him. Kyran, go to the hanger bay. Perhaps he's positioned himself where he can quickly get away, and if not, someone might have seen him leave. I just hope he left on his own."

~~~~~

When Qui-Gon opened the door to the apartment that he shared with Obi-Wan, he paused inside the doorway. Focusing into the Force, he sampled the emotions that had been felt inside this space during the past day. For the most part, he felt only peace-his own-and pride in Obi-Wan as the young man grew older. But underneath those lurked something else-fear, worry, and sheer desperation.

Obi-Wan.

Qui-Gon swiftly entered the quarters and went from room to room, trying to feel where Obi-Wan had gone while here and discover what he had done. The tall Jedi lingered for a moment in Obi-Wan's individual quarters. Although he did not sense that Obi-Wan had recently been in his own room, he stared without seeing at the neatly made sleepcouch, the organized desk, and closed storage closet for his padawan's personal things.

What had caused Obi-Wan to feel such a profound sense of desperation to reach his master? Obi-Wan usually kept himself out of trouble and, when he did manage to find a small disaster, could be counted on to keep his head. It alarmed Qui-Gon more than he cared to admit at the degree of urgency that he still felt lingering in the air from Obi-Wan's passage hours ago.

Trailing his fingers along

14. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    oh dear -- Obi is allergic to the sauce -- not good. This is rapidly developing into a very bad situation :D -- yay! :p

15. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Ooh, suspensiful! Can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.

If, perchance, you're PMing updates, might I be added to that list?

-DS

16. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Lay- Of course it's a bad situation. I wouldn't have a fic if it wasn't, lol

Darksaber- Well, I don't have enough of a following on this fic to have a PM "list", but I will PM you with updates, lol. Hey, go tell your friends about this fic. Geez, where did my readers go? lmbo

17. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    AN: Sorry it took so long to update. I know what I want to do with this, but until I get there, my muse kindof hiccupped. BTW, I'm really enjoying my Count Regen, lol.

Chapter Four

"What do you want?" Obi-Wan demanded with more bravado than he felt. He had woken only a few minutes ago to find himself strapped to an upright table in a strange room. The only person in the room with him was an older human with a face that showed no expression.

Ignoring his question, the man inquired, "How are you feeling? I apologize for your condition, Padawan Kenobi. My?associates overestimated in their eagerness to obtain you."

When it was clear that the man wasn't going to say anything more until Obi-Wan actually answered the question, he took stock of his body. He still felt lightheaded and more than a little dizzy, his throat was sore and he was desperately thirsty.

"Overall, it's not too bad," he said slowly, watching the man carefully for a hint of his intentions. Was this an ally, or his enemy? "I'm really thirsty, though, and I might have trouble standing."

Not taking his eyes off of Obi-Wan's, the man quietly requested a glass of water be brought to Holding Cell 2. When the man was done, he clasped his hands behind his back and shifted into an unconscious military pose. "I have not yet introduced myself. I apologize for my lack of manners. I am Count Regen, and I like to think of myself as a gentleman. I am hired for my skill, and my results, so please do not think that my curtsey toward you will spare you from feeling pain. I have been sent for information, and I will receive that which I want to know. You, Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, know something about my plans. For security's sake, I need you to tell me what it is that you overheard."

Obi-Wan forced himself not to show his surprise at how much the man?Count Regen?already knew. But since the count did not specifically mention any transmissions made by Obi-Wan, perhaps there were still a few things this man did not know. With a sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach, Obi-Wan came to the realization that the safety of hundreds, possibly thousands of beings, relied on his ability to keep his silence now. He just had to wait two days, long enough for that transmission to reach Lana Marks Josel, and then the coup could be averted.

Why, oh why did he put a two day wait on that transmission?

Taking a deep breath, Obi-Wan hardened his gaze. In a calm and quiet voice, he firmly stated, "I will not tell you anything."

Finally, the count seemed to be ruffled as his eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Do you not know what it is that I could do to you, Padawan Kenobi? I have your entire medical history at my fingertips. I have studied your weakness and flaws. I know what you have been through previously and how much of certain tortures you can stand before breaking. Does this not prompt you to tell me all you know?" His tone was genuinely curious.

Obi-Wan smiled, though it was not a joyful thing. "Do what you want to me. Jedi are not afraid to die."

Count Regen gave a little sigh. "I wish it would not come to this, Padawan Kenobi. I will offer one last time for you to tell me what you overheard?"

Obi-Wan's smiled turned into a smirk, though he said nothing.

"Have it your way," the count replied with a frown. He walked over to the wall and let his hand rest on a slighter darker grey panel than the rest of the featureless wall. A soft peep sounded and the darker square slid open to reveal a small hole that contained several multi-colored syringes, and a few sinister-looking mechanical devices. Count Regen hesitated, then picked up a syringe that was a brilliant blue color. With great care not to touch the exposed needle, the count thumped the syringe to mix the contents and watched as the blue bubbled for a second. When the liquid had settled down, Count Regen approached Obi-Wan.

"I truly am sorry it has come to this, but you did ask for it."

Obi-Wan tried not to wince as the c

18. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Ooh just found this and I"m liking it. More soon!

19. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

LOL I nearly laughed my head off when I saw Regen's name I kept thinking of Count Ruegen, the six fingered man in Princess Bride cause he sounds just like him in his speech lol "now remember, this is for posterity, so be honest." [face_laugh]

Poor Obi, I hope he can survive two days. Somehow I have this feeling he doesn't :p

Well done! =D=

20. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    /I so love Lana..XD She'd go come hell or high water...

[face_worried]Obi-torture! But that means Obi-mush later![face_love]

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm liking this story...and have no time to add more comments.

=D=

22. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm in for the ride and enjoying it so far. Will you please send me PMs when you update?

23. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Arwen- Welcome to this fic! I wondered where you had gone, lol.

Lay- Oh he does, but at a price. Yeah I can see where you would get that. Hm, didn't do that on purpose, though I suppose my count is fashioned after Ruegen. :}

Lady_Snow- Yep, good ol' Lana! And we won't see too much of the Obi torture until Qui becomes involved, though I won't let you go without a little of it before hand. lol

Val- Good! I'm glad you're liking it!

Ara-gon- Sure will. I think you're number two on this pm list, lol. Speaking of, when are you going to get caught up on Storms? lol

24. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Five

It had been a week and the count was beginning to doubt that the Jedi Padawan was going to reveal anything other than his name. The count's associates had just finished another grueling round of electrical torture, and the Padawan still refused to say anything other than "I will not say".

Count Regen tapped his fingers against his chin as he observed Obi-Wan Kenobi. The youth was sagging in his restraints, his chest bared, breathing heavily from his three-hour long session with the professionals in the count's payroll. Burn marks dotted his skin from where the electrodes had been attached to him and a faint smell of burnt hair and flesh hung around the room.

"I must say this," the count finally broke the silence. "You have extraordinary resilience. Most would have broken by now and told me everything I wished to know, plus the names of people that they had not remembered in decades."

Blue eyes turned toward him, though Kenobi's head did not lift more than a fraction of an inch. The Jedi Padawan smiled at him. "You?will not get?anything from me."

"Yes," Count Regen drawled, "so you keep saying. But I wonder if you would be so bold if someone else were in your place."

That finally got Kenobi's attention. Despite his obvious exhaustion, the Padawan brought his head up sharply and asked, "What?do you mean?"

Why hadn't he thought of this sooner?

"The bond between a Jedi Padawan and his Master is well known. I'm sure your Master has felt something of what you have been going through. Yet if Master Jinn felt exactly what it was that you were going through, would you still refuse to tell me what I wish to know, I wonder?"

Kenobi smiled again, certain of something. "You'll never be able to capture Qui-Gon Jinn. He's too smart for you."

Hm, Kenobi had a point. It would be rather difficult to ensnare a Jedi Master. Unless?

The count's eyes narrowed and he smiled, though the expression had no mirth in it. "Oh, I think he will come of his own accord."

~~~~~

Qui-Gon released his death grip on the railing that overlooked the Ithorian gardens. His knuckles and fingers returned slowly from bloodless white to their normal hue of tan. When he opened his eyes, he saw Kyran and Lana staring at him, concerned.

"Obi-Wan again?" Kyran asked softly, his green eyes echoing the sympathy that Qui-Gon could feel radiating from his presence.

Qui-Gon nodded, not trusting himself to speak yet. The echo of agonizing pain had latest longer this time than the others he had been feeling off and on for the previous week. Whomever had Obi-Wan wanted something from him, and by the feel of it, Obi-Wan was not giving them what they wanted.

Qui-Gon had never felt more proud of his padawan at the moment?nor as concerned.

"We'll find him," Lana reassured him, a dangerous light flashing across her eyes. Qui-Gon smiled his thanks, remembering back to when he first met her. He had been much younger and had been captured by the leader of her swoop gang. While he waited for an opportunity to escape, the swoop gang members took their turns beating him into a mess. Lana had appeared one day with her six black braids and skin-tight nerfhide outfit, a dark angel of mercy who took great personal risk to free him and return him to the Jedi Temple. She had been injured in the process, and so the Temple Healers let her stay a few days out of gratitude for rescuing a padawan. During her stay in the Healer's Ward she had met Kyran. They had been from opposite worlds, yet had fallen immediately in love. When it was discovered that she had marginal Force-talent, the Temple allowed her to stay with the other Jedi. One day, she and Kyran had gotten married, despite the action being frowned on by the Jedi Council, and she had been an invaluable help in the past with her various nefarious skills learned in her youth. Among other things, she was the greatest slicer he had ever seen.

"Please excuse," came a gentle voice from behind them. When the group

25. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    "It had been a week . . ." Whew! That means Obi made it. But did Lana get the transmission since she's left the Temple (presumably)? Nope. I see it hasn't.

"Oh, I think he will come of his own accord."
    Oh, not good. [face_worried] Qui and Obi torture!

Lana met Kyran in the Healers' Ward? :D Why am I not surprised? I like her firstrate. The little bit about her rescuing Qui and meeting Ky could be expanded . . .[face_batting]

As to Storms . . . I will catch up. I will. ::fends off plot bunnies with a hairbrush in one hand and a soup ladle in the other:: Just a little . . . busy . . . here. ::shakes leg to try to free self of plot bunny that is chewing determinedly away:: So sorry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.