main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Heck! Just looked at some recent pics of all 3. No doubt fisher, Hamill & ford could pull it off! Will come down to money when it comes to ford. 20 million can change ones attitude. Hamill is a sure thing. No doubt he can pull it of. Set that treadmill on marathon son!

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  2. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    for $20 million, Ford better have a substantive role. To be honest, the writer(s) and director will have to thread the needle somewhat. You don't want the new movies to be overly focused on Luke, Leia, and Han. However, I feel that these roles need to be greater than cameo appearances. That's why I am of the opinion that Luke needs to be killed in dramatic fashion halfway through Ep. VII. I would add Han to the "needs to die" list. Perhaps a scene where Han and Luke are killed together by the new villain. From a storytelling perspective (at least in my opinion), if any of the original trio remains into the next movie(s), it should be Leia, perhaps discovering previously latent Force abilities. I seriously doubt that Ford would sign on for more than one movie, so that would necessitate his death in Ep, VII (if he's even willing to do that much). The only death in Ep. VII that I would consider integral to plot and forward movement of the saga would be Luke's at the hands of whoever the new bad guy is (I'd like to see a disillusioned, presumably trustworthy Jedi ally, played by Gary Oldman or Michael Fassbender). Just my two cents...

3. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    If the previous 6 episodes are any indication then here is my interpretation:
    At least one of the original cast members are going to make an appearance, but only in a supporting role.
    Obi-Wan was a main character in PT, but only a support character in OT. It is my guess that the same will happen to Luke (at least).
    This should work for making the transition to the new trilogy, presenting one (or more) old character fulfilling his role of introducing the new cast to the audience. After the introduction is complete (~halfway through Ep7), the story will revolve more on the new characters and the adventure will continue.

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    How did this forum get so big, so fast? :eek: We only found out about this last Monday.

Looks like people are really interested in a 7th movie and that Disney has made a good investment, so far. It's quite possible that people from the previous movies will show up in cameo roles, but it all depends on story/writer/director/producer/whatever.

5. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    A good number of the threads here are superfluous and/or based on blatantly reckless and pie-in-the-sky theories; if the mods were to delete all but the most relevant and fact/reality-based threads, the size of the forum would shrink considerably.

6. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Lol. No, he really isn't. But keep enjoying your kool aid.

7. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    And you enjoy yours.

8. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    That doesn't make any sense. :confused:

9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You are totally right. A lot of crappy, stupid post lately, I'm starting to hate Luke Skywalker now & I used to think the kid was ok lol.

10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea, I'm really starting to hate The guy who yelled "father please" when Palpatine was pumping massive bolts in his tail.

11. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Although it could open up the whole SW universe up even more, the only thing I never want to see happen is that time-travel reboot rubbish that they did with the Star Trek franchise. Horrible, horrible stuff!

12. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

13. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I thought it was brilliant, but it's much more suited to Star Trek than Star Wars. And anyway, that clearly wouldn't be the case, as this movie is being called "Episode VII".

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IMO, while hearing about Carrier Fisher/Mark Hamill/Harrison Fords's involvement in the ST will be exciting, it really doesn't help us all that much "story wise". They could have a quick cameo, they could be majorly involved, or they could show up at the very end to set up Episode 8. At this point it's anyone's guess so I'm going to ignore that for now.

With that aside, what I would like to discuss is what we have "story wise" in canon:

In terms of democracy - the Republic that has stood for a thousand years -- falls. We don't see the thousands years of prosperity, we see roughly 20-30 odd years of semi prosperity with turmoil before its actual fall. The Empire takes over for roughly 20-30 odd years before the Rebels fight and win with the hope of restoring peace and freedom in the galaxy. So without doing the exact math, Episodes 1 - 6 are roughly 40-60 +/- years, which is just a tiny little screen shot in time of a War in the Stars.

In terms of the Jedi - to overly and very generally summarize, the PT is Anakin Skywalker's journey from light to dark while the OT is his journey from dark to light.

The Republic falls as does Anakin while the Rebels/Republic rise with the redemption of Anakin.

So with that in mind, I believe that the new original story is going to center on a new original character. If Episode VII begins with the Republic already rebuilt, then this character is going to be strong, but tested, not in the same ways, but new ways that won't feel like a rehash or a copy of what has already transpired. If Episode VII begins with the Republic still in it's infancy, then our new character will be growing and learning, very similar to young Anakin and young Luke, but again, different trials and challenges await him/her. Not only does the Republic need to be rebuilt, but hopefully things will be different so that a Separatist movement doesn't happen again and maybe that's where the knowledge of the past in the forms of our old heroes will surface.

In summary, I don't know what has or hasn't happened in the EU, but if I had to guess, a lot of the stuff that I mentioned above has probably happened in some form so I know I haven't said anything earth-shattering. At the end of the day, the plot will be fairly straightforward as it was in the PT and OT. I'm looking forward to great characters that I care about and ones I can fully invest my time, energy and emotions into their conflict and their resolution.

15. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Oh, really? Then how do you know that he had a "paunchy belly"?

16. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    "The most relevant" according to whom? Sounds like good old-fashioned censorship to me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh yeah...this thread exists. Ok I forsee it being an original story with *most likely* original characters. Maybe they'll use the EU names but I think it will end at that *example: Maybe they'll throw in a character named Jacen but never have him become Caedus because that might not fit the story they are telling*. Yes fans will complain and threaten to boycott the movie/blame it all on JJ Abrams but sooner I think they'll get over it.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, regardless of the "original story" bit that is unsettled at this point, I think the weight debate IS settled (via C. Fisher's announcement that Disney was sending a personal trainer to her house, that seems like a less-than-subtle hint of their expectations). ROFL at how sensitive people got over this weight debate regarding some movie stars. Life is just too short to feel the butthurt over the small stuff. :)

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    From what I gather, people were butthurt because the actors were no longer small, but rather stuffed.

Anyway, yeah, when did this thing come back to life?

DarthBreezy likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I guess you could look at it either way. Most of the conversations I saw were just saying it would be more becoming of them in these movie roles to be fit. I don't think it is per se back to life, just a brief mention here and there. The issue is settled, there really isn't anything left to debate (i.e. Disney IS going to expect them to be in shape, and for the millions they will get, I don't see them debating the point).