main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 spin offs

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 8263827

8263827 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Imagine if Ep. I-III were filmed at the same time? There would have been soooooo much Jar-Jar in Ep.II and III that it would have made your head spin!

2. Teasser38

Teasser38 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Are you really going to save that much money filming everything at once for a film that will still probably be mostly filmed in front of a blue screen or set? It doesn't make that much sense unless you are going to film it all in New Zealand.

3. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    They will be completely digital and look all the same. With the Clones it was ok. because they ARE all the same. But with Stormtroopers this will look funny. The charme of the statists in the plastic armor will be gone. This new films will be much cleaner/sterile than LucasĀ“s Star Wars.

4. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Sorry for the wordy title but I think this will be a fun an intellectual exercise in order to speculate on what the Sequel Trilogy could be about. I think that George Lucas is a gifted and intelligent storyteller (the nitpicking aside) and if you look closely there are common themes between the two trilogies we already have and assuming enough of his creative input is passed on in his story treatments one can make an educated guess on the basic themes of the sequel trilogy.

For starters let's compare the episode titles for both trilogies and discuss them:

Prequel Trilogy
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace (clearly refers to a specific character, in this case Palpatine, the primary villain and there is victory for the villain in staying hidden)
    Episode II: Attack of the Clones (refers to conflict in the plot that shifts the balance of power between good and bad, here the good guys, the Jedi, the Republic, get a temporary partial victory or at least a perceived one as Yoda stated)
    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (a group, in this case the villains, the Sith, become dominant and are victorious)

Middle Trilogy
    Episode IV: A New Hope (clearly refers to a specific character, in this case Luke Skywalker, the primary protagonist in this trilogy and there is victory for the protagonist in destroying the death star)
    Episode V: Attack of the Clones (refers to conflict in the plot that shifts the balance of power between good and bad, here the bad guys, the Sith, the Empire, get a temporary partial victory or at least a perceived one)
    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (a group, in this case the heroes, the Jedi, become dominant and are victorious)

Sequel Trilogy (speculation)
    Episode VII: (the title should refer to a specific character instrumental in the change in the balance of power throughout this trilogy and the primary member of the ultimately victorious party)
    Episode VIII: (the title should refer to a conflict shifts the balance of power between the two opposing parties and the opposing party of the character alluded to in the title of VII will get a temporary partial victory or at least a perceived one)
    Episode IX: (the title should refer to the group that ultimately becomes dominant and victorious upon the resolution of the conflict in this trilogy and in this case perhaps wrap up themes going back to I)

Now in light of what I just speculated on with the sequel trilogy I suspect it might be about a conflict that brings some kind of true balance to the force, a theme going back to episode I. In the prequel trilogy the balance of power shifts from the light side of the force to the dark side of the force. In the middle trilogy the balance of power shifts from the dark side of the force back to the light side of the force. The sequel trilogy might be about bringing a balance between the light and dark sides. It can be a tricky subject matter to go into because (no pun intended) it is going into a grey area. Perhaps purging the Jedi order of the excessive dogmatism we saw in the prequel trilogy that caused Anakin and other Jedi in the past to turn to the dark side as well as creating a system of government in the Republic that prevents the corruption and excess in the prequel trilogy and embracing a flexible view of the force that minimizes conflict and brings about some kind of true and lasting peace. So a true balance to the force both within the Jedi order and within the government of the Republic is not achieved until the end of Episode IX. Anakin represented the most powerful aspects of both the light side and the dark side and the sequel trilogy is about everyone coming to terms with that reality and using what is learned from the for the betterment of society and of the force itself.

kainee and Summer Dreamer like this.
  5. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    I just posted this in the "who should die?" thread but it is perhaps even more relevant here:

Every episode of Star Wars thus far has featured the tragic loss either permanent or temporary of one of the main protagonists that moves the plot somehow. Let me demonstrate:

The Phantom Menace: death of Qui-Gon Jinn
    Attack of the Clones: death of Shmi Skywalker
    Revenge of the Sith: death of Padme Amidala
    A New Hope: death of Obi-Wan Kenobi
    The Empire Strikes Back: Han Solo frozen in carbonite (he doesn't die but is treated as a loss of uncertainty and suits the pattern)
    Return of the Jedi: death of Anakin Skywalker (Yoda a close second but he basically died of old age or something and thus it is not "tragic" and a direct result of the conflict like the others)

So episodes VII, VIII and IX should each have a loss of some kind that is significant to the plot. Perhaps Han Solo in VII (he would have the unique distinction of being lost twice) but this time he actually dies and Luke Skywalker in Episode IX. The loss in Episode VIII could be the loss of some other character introduced in VII that will have a significant impact.

kainee likes this.
  6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    When did The Empire Strikes Back get renamed?!?! [face_thinking];)

Vicious Jedi likes this.
  7. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Shoot me first, I meant "The Empire Strikes Back". How do you edit a post on here?

8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Under your post, there is a little link that says "Edit".

9. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe there is something wrong with my settings but the "Edit" link only shows up with very recent posts, one that are a couple of hours old don't.

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Wow, that's a weird setup for the boards... Not sure why they would do that.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah maybe, but give them a different cooler look, or maybe have new different variants of Storm Troopers, such as Dark Troopers.
    [​IMG]
    But what would be even cooler is if they used Imperial Guards more, because we never got to see them fight.

12. LWSwann

LWSwann Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    I wouldn't like to see CGI troopers - they have the money to suit people up, hell - get a Garrison to do it. I think they could work as a galactic police, obviously years into the future after ROTJ I assume they would have "Can't beat um, Join um".

13. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Soldiers of the new Galactic government's armed forces wearing white armour and fighting alongside the Jedi, but no "stormtroopers" per se.

Actually, I'd rather like to see the Jedi Knights and non-Force-sensitive troopers completely integrated into one unit that wears white armour. The Jedi would be closer to the Knights of the Round Table than the monastic order they were in the PT. This would harken back to the armoured Jedi Generals of the Clone Wars era and also the Ralph McQuarrie concept art of troopers with lightsabres.

14. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Would you like to see the new republic in episode 7 have some sort of army like the clones or just have a new jedi order to keep the peace?

15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Both.

No clones, since the New Republic (or whatever the new Galactic government is called) should have had 30 odd years to realise that the clone troopers' creation and treatment was grotesquely unethical and that their role was ultimately destructive to the Republic due to their mysterious origins. However, a corps in the spirit of the Grand Army of the Republic would be great.

Also calling back to the Clone Wars era would be a Jedi Order that's militarised and wears armour instead of robes.

kainee likes this.
  16. davvi36

davvi36 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    no clones, that would be just badly refurbishing the prequels and selling them as sequels. the times have changed.

17. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think you'll have Stormtroopers but not clones, probably just conscripts. Like the Rebel Alliance in the OT.

18. davvi36

davvi36 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe the New republic troopers will wear modified stormtrooper armor with helmets that don't cover their faces.

19. davvi36

davvi36 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    maybe they'll use a modified stormtrooper for the new republic troopers, but with helmets that don't cover the face.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Why not have both? I doubt Luke will have enough to Jedi to police the entire galaxy within a few decades.

No clones or stormtroopers, though. Or silly Tantive IV rebel troopers.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  22. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    I think the armor will be seen even if they aren't 'stormtroopers'. Like on mercenaries/bounty hunters etc. I get the feeling there will be a lot of rag tag factions involved, a galaxy in turmoil kind of vibe after the Emperor's regime has fallen and the 'nice' Senate returns. Hutt gangster action, bulk death stick smuggling and Coruscant gambling dens.

23. Remeral Vhett

Remeral Vhett Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Unless they chose to use a story line like X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, I'm willing to bet that the main character will be a Jedi. Even in most of the EU books, the Jedi are in most of the lead roles. Chances are, the new trilogy will follow the OT and sequels and have a Jedi as a main character.

24. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm quite certain too that at least one of the main protagonists will be a Jedi. I'm also certain the lightsaber duels will be back too.

The Sith Lords are finished with the Emperor and Vader (if we discount the Expanded Universe where Sith Lords appear every now and then), so they can't be villains.

Dark Jedi, like a fallen apprentice of Luke's could be suitable replacements... or lightsaber-wielding robots.

However, I want to delve into other parts of the Star Wars galaxy.

kainee likes this.
  25. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Lucas definitely loved to play with the idea of mirroring or echoing themes and events from the OT when making the PT. I think that it worked very well and provided another layer of depth to the films. He once used the metaphor of a symphonic composition, where the same melody is played with different instruments and in different keys.

That being said, I sincerely hope that the ST will mostly avoid hitting the major dramatic notes a third time.

One specific example of what I don't want to see is "old" Jedi Master Luke being struck down by the villain's lightsaber while his protege watches helplessly and yells "Nooo!" This third time would be really cheesy. Perhaps the best thing would be to subvert the audience's expectations and have the scene set up to look like it would play out as it did in TPM and ANH, but then have Luke cut down the villain in a show of "that's how it's done, kids."

I also don't want to see a new hero growing up on Tatooine. Another victory ceremony (ANH/TPM) at the end would be pushing it. The same goes for a fleet of good guys' starfighters attacking an enemy starbase while one pilot gets off a lucky shot.

There are enough elements in the PT and OT without a counterpart in the other for the ST to build on those instead. Of course there are broad themes in the saga that will likely continue (as well they should), such as the father-son relationship and the human spirit emerging victorious over technology.

The more subtle visual echos are great and I hope that they continue. I'm primarily referring to cinematography and shot composition, as examined in this old thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/visual-storytelling-at-its-greatest-in-depth-analysis.16974690/

Are there any other parallels between the OT and the PT that the ST should avoid repeating again?

kainee likes this.