main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EPISODE II TITLE IS ........

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthDooku, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    No, most of my post was directed at Harpo in his remarks about people flaming him for what he's saying. But no, it has nothing to do with an army analogy. It's just a simple fact. Believe it or not there were people out there that didn't know of Star Wars and liked TPM, and there were even people that became fans of the whole series after TPM. And all of us sitting around bitching about how much TPM sucks, and how AotC is such a stupid title, are actualy a really insignificant minority. It's just that the Internet has a way of amplifying our opinions. But what I mean is, for every person that hate somthing about Star Wars that was recently added, there's always more that will like it. To normal people, you know, people who aren't hardcore Star Wars nerds like all of us (don't say your not, all of us are in some form), "Attack of the Clones" sounds about as cheesy as something called "Star Wars". It must be hard to see after growing up with those words, but it's true.

2. Jedi Knight 2

Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 1999

The Ep. 2 title is different, I thought. The title just sounds weird.

3. Ransom

Ransom Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    I would never deny that I'm a Star Wars nerd. I can handle the truth! ;) I just try to be a rational nerd, whenver possible.

I now see what you were trying to say. For every old fan who hated TPM or the title, there are new young fans (or older fans who were never into SW). I'm sure that's true. But that doesn't make the old fans' opinions any less valid. Coversely, the old fans' opinions certainly don't invalidate the opinions of the new fans. You can't deny, however, that there is an element of fanaticism on these boards that treats those who enjoyed TPM (or the title) less than the OT as heretics. (See the "I kill bashers..." sig). I just think there's a point where one's love of a movie has gone a bit too far when one feels personally insulted by criticism of the movie.

And I agree that AOTC sounds similar to the OT titles. It sounds fun. I just don't think, plotwise, it sounds like the movie we've been hearing about in the spoilers (which I think most people agree sounds very cool). I, powerless SW nerd that I am, would call it Triumph of the Clones.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Actually, that is a good title, Ransom [face_plain]

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I love looking back and reading our first reactions to Attack of the Clones.

That is still some funny S...

6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I thought I was the only one who digs up threads from ages ago. ;)

7. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Hook!!!! Glad to see you. I was feeling nostalgic.

8. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Classic.

!snap

9. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I'd love to wade through this whole thread looking for my first responce to the title (which I'm pretty sure was negetive), but it would take forever.

!snap

10. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I think I was so estatic about actually winning the "Name Episode II contest" that I never gave my first impression.

I love GriffZ reaction:

The title is worse than most of the proposed ones I've seen here on the boards. x2

:p

11. noggins

noggins Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Following this thread was so much fun... I think my attitude to the title changed every time someone put forward a decent argument for either side... heh. How young we all were :p

12. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I still think Hoedaak's reaction was hilarious.

I can tell you this, for free. Morale at the Ranch took a nosedive with the official announcement.

You think "you" guys are pissed? You should see it from "our" perspective. I'm surprised there's not mass resignations in an hour or so.

The general consensus, is that George has lost his marbles.

Speaking for myself: I always thought "ANH" was lame, and "TPM" was laughable.

But "Attack Of The Clones" is just about the stupidest, crappy title you could try. What: did George flip a coin and let the kids come up with a title over poptarts this morning????

I'm gutted. A lot of people are gutted. And a lot of people who were starting to think this movie would be a really special SW movie are in a state of shock about this.

Anyone wanna start putting a pool together, to deprogram George from whatever cult has grabbed him?

[face_laugh]

I wasn't around at "TPM" time, but I'm told that this makes that look like kiddytime.

You should see the expressions. Everyone's just looking at each other, shaking their heads, and trying not to talk about it. (The rumors were floating about 10 days ago, but it was thought to be a practical joke. Oh, the humanity...)

[face_laugh]

Question:

Hoe many people say "Episode One" instead of "Phantom Menace"?

How many say "Star Wars" instead of "New Hope"?

Let's face it: "The Empire Strikes Back" is a freakin' great title, that you don't feel embarrassed talkng about.

In years to come, we'll say "Attack", or "The Second One" as our shorthand.

But "Attack Of The Clones" is just jaw-droppingly lame. It really does sound like a cross between "Attack Of The Tentacle" and "Killer Klowns From Outer Space".

It's horrible. Wince-inspiring. Crappy. You could pour a landfill of adjectives at it, and it still wouldn't be enough.

I hear the guys in LFL marketing are starting to erect barricades already...

[face_laugh]

"Death Of The Franchise". Hmm. Well, it won't kill it, but...maybe "Fall Of The Franchise" is more on the nose.

Man. We thought we had an unkillable movie here. Freakin' solid script. Jar Jar reduced. Massive action. Cool bad guy.

But... (John Belushi voice) Nooooooooo!!!!!

You hadda do it, George! You hadda do it!

The bars around Marin are going to be FULL in just a couple of hours. I swear it.

[face_laugh]

Anyone near Marin tonight who wants to buy a pitiful wretch a drink, watch out for the guy with an endless line of JD racked up on the counter in front of him.

But then, I think we're ALL gonna be clones in that respect.
    :(

[face_laugh]
    Episode One: The Phantom Menace.

Question walking into the theater: What is the Phantom Menace??? (And why did it take George 20 years to come up with such an anticlimactic title?)

Episode Four: A New Hope.

Question walking into the theater: George, why did you come up with such a lame title? (Okay, NOW we know what it means. But still. A lame title.)

Episode Five: The Empire Strikes Back.

Question walking into the theater: Woo-hoo! Freakin' awesome! Vader's gonna kick butt! Dad, can you get the projection guy to thread the movie faster!?

Episode Six: Return Of The Jedi

Question walking into the theater: Dad? Didn't the poster say "REVENGE"? And where do the Jedi get it?

And now...

Episode Two: Attack Of The Clones

Question walking into the theater: Dad...who's getting cloned? You mean there are clones? And they attack? Dad, it's not gonna suck like that "Judge Dredd" movie Mom took us to, is it?

Oh, hey. And can Marin County install new water filtration? George thinks he's Sterling Hayden in "Doctor Strangelove".

I'm ill.

:D

I'm gearing up to go home now, having been in shock about this all day. (I say "go home", but I really need a drink. Or ten.)

I wonder if anyone already

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Poor Hoedaack. :( He hasn't been around here in quite some time now.

14. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I think he's still recovering... especially after that whole N'Sync stink.

15. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    That Hooedack stuff is great, I remember my intial reaction perfectly:

1. total disbelief

2. thought about how much I liked it more than "dark romance" "tryanny reborn" "great clone war" "crusade"

3. smile as I realized how much people were going to hate it.

4. resolved to only call it attack of the clones, even though most people in the gen pop didn't know what the heck i was talking about. then sly reply "you'll see"

5. loved it ever sense.

16. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    ...up...

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Old threads are fun. :D

18. DARTH_DURST

DARTH_DURST Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2001
    Ahhh, I remember the days...... I'll never forget when I first heard the title. I absolutely hated it. And I'll never forget the gusher/basher war that started thereafter. But it's funny, I don't mind it much anymore. It has sort of grown on me I guess.

19. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Hehehehe, alas, noone really cares about the title anymore.

(and there were no mass resignations at ILM)

20. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Ah yes. Star Wars fans knee jerk overreaction at its finest. There have been tons of several other instances, but I must say this is the fans most shining moment of all.

21. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The title is "Attack of the Clones"?!! [face_shocked]

That's such crap! GL has raped all our collective childhoods with this one! Hell, he's practically raped our pets' childhoods too! :mad:

...poor Fluffy... :(

8-}

22. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    hey...the title is alright... I mean... I wish lucas picked a good title.. i feel cold..

23. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    SOMEONE here was bored while surfing through this board... ;)

24. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    8 months ago, we were here. Look at us now folks...look at us now.

25. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I've got the coolest sounding voice in the world, but Attack of the Clones still sounds sorta uncool coming out of my mouth.

So I've settled on "The new Star Wars movie man, you gonna see it?".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.