main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohio Episode III REACTION

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MaverickJedi, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaverickJedi

MaverickJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2004
    Well?! LOL How did everyone's 12:05 screening go? What are your initial impressions? And will you be going back this weekend?

2. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I loved it! Great movie!

I'll be hitting a showing this afternoon. :D

3. Cor-AlGelkar

Cor-AlGelkar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    Seen it twice so far. Had tears in my eyes both times when Order 66 was executed. The music really lant itself to the moment. Excellent movie. Very happy with it.

4. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yes, seeing all those Jedi we have come to know and love so easily and coldly executed is tough to watch. We always knew that, but still...
    The ease with which some were killed left a little to be desired. However, Mace--best Jedi death EVER.

Overall, it was an improvement over I & II, but it still lacks some logic. Specifically, I cannot buy that a strong character like Padme, so willful and tough in I & II, would give up so easily after having just given birth.

What I also came away with is that yes, Anakin is likely the most powerful Jedi ever, but he is also one of the dumbest. His fall seems much too quick and easy.

Still, it is a good enough film but not OT quality.

--Oh, one more thing, let's welcome General Grievous to the "Darth Maul Over-Hyped Misused Character" Hall of Fame :D

5. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    So I wasn't the only one who was wondering what the deal with Greivous was? He seemed like such a cool character, but just doesn't seem to fit in the movie. I think he was a toy seller.

Of course, there might be some scenes that were cut that would explain his need a bit more.

6. MaverickJedi

Apr 11, 2004
    I think the novelization by Stover really shows the need for him a lot better (Ch. 15, "Death On Utapau").

I definitely CAN'T WAIT to see the cut scenes when this is finally released on DVD!!

I've seen it twice so far. Trying to get a friend to see it with me Thursday night. If they say 'no' tonight, I'll probably go to the earliest show tomorrow morning and see it myself.

I really hope we can set a date to see it together as a Fan Force group, too. :)

7. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    I need to pick up that novelization soon! I passed on buying it so I wouldn't be tempted to read it ahead of time. :D

And we should definitely try to get together to watch ROTS. I'm presuming we'd probably want to try for a weekend show? In Maumee?

8. MaverickJedi

Apr 11, 2004
    Maumee would be fine with me, and I don't have to worry about drill weekends anymore. I can probably get off any time from work now too, so long as it's not last minute's notice. :) Shall we start a thread asking when would be good for everyone? I suppose this would be considered the June meeting?

And I know what you mean about the novel... I bought it, but put it away where I wouldn't be tempted. I also bought the ROTS Playstation 2 game (which is awesome) the day it came out, but never took it out of the shrink wrap. I'm glad I didn't; it has a lot of real scenes from the movie. I would have been REALLY mad to have spoiled myself.

I'm actually not going in to work until 5 tonight, so I'm debating whether to stay home and watch Return of the Jedi, or go check out the new Franklin Park theater and watch ROTS by myself. Decisions, decisions... ;)

9. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry about my absence. I've been a bit busy [face_blush]

I wish that I could join you guys, but I'm going to be out of town. :(

I have seen the movie twice now and am about 3/4 the way done with the book.
    At first, some of my predictions of how things were so off...and it was sad...and it was dark...well, I don't know how much I really liked the movie. But after thinking for a while and especially after seeing it a second time, I really love it. I think its definitely better than Epi I and II, and perhaps better than Jedi. I'm still a bit undecided on that one. ;)

In reading the book, I can buy Anakin's fall. But it doesn't translate as clearly in the movie. I just don't think how steeped in the Dark Side he is prior to his taking on the name of Vader.

I also don't buy Padme dying. She has two children to live for--Anakin's children. She has shown herself to be a very strong woman. This would be out of character for her. Plus, this does not give any creedance to Leia's remembering her mother. Padme barely even looked at Leia.

Grevious was weak. I think he could have easily been made to seem more menacing, but I really wasn't watching the movie for him anyways.

I would have to say that Obi-Wan has become one of my favorite characters after RotS. He is so steadfast and such a strong Jedi. He is the Ultimate Jedi. The epitome of what it is to be a Jedi. Anakin may have been stronger in the Force, but Obi is a stonger person. That's why I love how the duel at the end was so evenly matched. :)

I would also have to agree with Moffy in that Anakin has to be one of the dumbest Jedi--he's too easily influences and manipulated. :rolleyes:

10. Stanelle

Stanelle Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Perhaps,..Anakin was created by the Sith to be their tool. Perhaps this unfortunate young man was created to be the ultimate Sith tool and that was why Yoda and Mace and the others rejected him at first. He had the potential for great evil and that was what the Jedi Council was sensing in him.

Qui Gon Jinn could have been fooled by Anakin's high midi-chlorian count...into thinking that Anakin WAS the Chosen One,..but a high midi-clorian count in one's blood does not a good or wise man make!

I feel Luke was the Chosen One and not Anakin as Luke ultimately did restore.."Balance to the Force,"..tipping the scales in favor of fate in the direction of "Good"..(Light side of the Force)..again!

11. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Except that GL himself has said that Anakin is the Chosen One, and it is he who ultimately restores the balance. ;)

I like the insinuations Palpatine makes in his conversations with Anakin. Could it be that the Sith are the architects of their own demise--unknowingly creating the Chosen One through manipulation of the midi-chlorians?

12. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I guess the truth of the "Chosen One" prophesy would greatly depend on your point of view.

You could argue that the sith knew of the prohpesy and were manipulating the Jedi throught hte creation of Anakin. (But how did Palpy know that Anakin would be discovered?)

OR

You could look at it as the fact that the Jedi misread the prophesy. They assumed that "bringing balance to the Force" would mean that the Sith would be destroyed. But, in fact, Anakin did bring balance to the Force. There were thousands of Jedi and two Sith. At the end of RotS, there are two Sith and two known Jedi. So, he did fulfill the prophesy.

OR

From the traditional POV the Jedi had on the prophesy, he fulfilled that as well. Anakin Skywalker killed both of the Sith--Emperor Palpatine and Vader within himself. The Jedi just didn't consider that he would turn to the Dark Side before doing so.

While I consider Luke one of the Heros of the story, he isn't the Chosen One. His love and faith in Anakin helped Anakin to overcome the Dark Side, but it was Anakin that destroyed the Emperor.

13. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    Anakin. Could it be that the Sith are the architects of their own demise--unknowingly creating the Chosen One through manipulation of the midi-chlorians?

What's really weird about this is that I had an idea for a fan fic a while back about Sidious somehow bringing about Anakin's birth. They stole MY idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.