main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark EU (Expanded Universe) Discussion Thread: Current topic Allegiance: WARNING: SPOILERS.

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, I am yet again stealing this idea from our "sister" fan force over in Memphis...

So, come on in and enjoy discussing the books and goodies that flesh out the GFFA that we all love.

Not restricted to new publications...

So, if you want to talk Splinter of the Minds Eye...well, then talk away.

I'll start off with this little blurb (borrowed from Rhondaroo of Fan Fiction Fame and member of our sister fan force in Memphis)

Here's a blurb from the new Allegiance book coming out soon:

From Publishers Weekly:
    Five idealistic but fed-up Imperial storm troopers led by Daric LaRone share the stage with young Rebel Alliance crusaders Han Solo, Princess Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca in this politically fraught but still rollicking early years Star Wars adventure from Hugo-winner Zahn (Star Wars: Outbound Flight). Emperor Palpatine's favorite Sith, Darth Vader, has a new rival, the 18-year-old Countess Mara Jade Claria, whom Palpatine has schooled in the Force to assume the special agent role of "Emperor's Hand." Zahn depicts the intrepid Rebel quartet and the turbulent development of the Alliance while revealing the human faces behind the storm trooper armor of Daric and company, who become unexpected allies of Han and friends once the troopers are on the run after killing a superior officer. The author also underscores Mara Jade's tough-girl charm and blossoming Imperial clout against the background of Palpatine's dedication to Imperial domination and his insidious influence on his minions. This episode will please fans wondering about events between the first and second movies in the original Star Wars trilogy.

Oh no....

Did this thing say Darth Vader has a new rival? Don't mess this up, Zahn!!!

(and it's been confirmed the Countess thing is a alias or ruse of some kind)

It looks like it's going to be good, but I worry. Oh, how I worry about the Darth Vader/Mara Jade thing.

Discuss away!

2. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    So, am I the only EU fan out here in the land of the GFFA...in the Sithly state of Arkansas???

PS...Jaira, you don't have to just talk about the new books....

3. Knight_Terje

Knight_Terje Jedi Knight

Jun 1, 2006
    Not the only one there hyperspace_police ;) Kynstar and myself are :) Though she's a little 'ga ga' with Vos, my particular tastes lies with his 'woman' [face_laugh] Khaleen. Not only becuase she's (not 100% as to what to say since I'm not a member...don't want to get into trouble if you know what I mean [face_laugh]) very attractive. There...I leave it at that. [face_mischief]

She is a 'rogue' type and 'no kidder'; very serious and knows how life can be hard at times. :)

4. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    speaking of Kynstar, tell her to get ahold of me so we can do some book swaping.

5. WeyrleaderZor

WeyrleaderZor Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2006
    My fav is the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command), hands down. They were very well written, had a great depth of plot, truly memorable characters with faults as well as strengths, and unlike some of the more recent books in the advancing chronology, these weren't so linear and predictable, nor did they force you to just accept that everything that could be done from film (and prior book) suddenly was useless and futile - just to make the new threats seem more menacing.

(And yes, that IS a critique mainly regarding the New Jedi Order (particularly the Vong fiasco of novels) from the half-dozen (maybe as many) books I've read in that era/series.)

6. ti7267

ti7267 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    I like thrawns books I loved Crimson Empire, the new legacy comic books are really starting to get my attention more and more :)

7. Knight_Terje

Knight_Terje Jedi Knight

Jun 1, 2006
    The Thrawn series were awsome! The way he could tell the enemies strategies based on their artwork was sweet!

VADER312 what do you want me to tell Kynstar? She works not too far from me. I can give her a message for you.

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Howdy neighbors! [face_peace]

I am PSYCHED about Allegiance!! :D I pre-ordered from booksamillion - given their history of shipping early, I hope to get my greedy little hands on it in advance - and I'll also be driving to Nashville for Tim Zahn's book signing in February. :-B

Have you seen "Some of what you'll get..." in the Official Discussion Thread? Cool stuff!!

9. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks for posting that Trace...

hope it's ok that I stole your idea for the EU thread
    (though yours is more successful)

10. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    First off: If you like Stormies...then this is the book for you. A splendidly spun Zahn tale.

Not just stormies...Mara, Han, Luke, Leia and Vader fans will enjoy this read.

Notice the dedication page where the founder of 501st gets a little credit for the conversation that led to the idea for this book.

And notice how some popular fan films have worked their way into this book.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pink Five which can be found on Atom Films and was the winner a few years back of the Fan Film award at SDCC...

Isn't it about a female X-wing pilot named Stacey who has a thing for Han Solo.

Well, pay attention to the book and see if you catch the reference to a female X-Wing pilot named Stacey???

Is this coincidence or is this the one and only Pink Five?

Go get the book..It's a good read. Now, I must go and finish it....

11. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Confirmed by a friend who saw Zahn at a book signing...

Stacey the X wing pilot is indeed a reference to Pink Five.

Cool...fan films are now validated as canon. Kind of interesting I think.

Same can now be assumed loosely for fan fiction

12. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Anyone else finished with this one yet?

I wish they had expanded the Mara/Vader bits, but it was an enjoying read none the less... I liked the fact that Han/Luke wound up working with awol stormies...it all tied together nicely...

[face_pig]

13. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I just finished this book and highly enjoyed it!
    I've been reading all the books in order including the young readers books, which is where I am now the chronology. But since the next book I needed is currently checked out, it was refreshing to finally read an adult novel again, with all the complicated plot twists and everything.
    I thought it was interesting that Ben was training Luke in the afterlife. I had never seen him have so much contact with Luke before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.