main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU fans...How do you personally view the SW continuity?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kane_Skywalker, Aug 10, 2001.

?

EU fans...How do you personally view the SW continuity?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2001.
  1. Only the Star Wars films are canon. If George Lucas didn't write it, it's rubbish.

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. I consider the films, novelizations, scripts and radio dramas to be canon, but nothing else.

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Only that which Lucasfilm Licensing says is canon ( Everything except the Infinities products. )

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. It's all canon and can all fit. That includes TV specials, cartoons, kids books, videogames and the

19 vote(s)
    27.9%
  5. I only accept the stories that I like. Goodbye Glove of Darth Vader!

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Valiento, you forgeth that Lucas' thing about the A-wings also makes no logical sense. If there were A-wings before ANH, why weren't they used at Yavin, or ANYWHERE ELSE other than the Droids cartoon show settings, for that matter? Ditto on B-wings. I couldn't care less about what Lucas "wrote" into a TV program that about 11% of fans have seen. I'll accept the 10+ sources that give the real history on the development of the A-wing and the Shantipole project, which take the REST of the SW continuity into account (as opposed to the Droids TV show).

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Anything and everything can fit. Even contradictions. It's all a story being told by the Whills, or thousands of years later by a family who lives in the New Republic and tells their kids about the great struggle of the Skywalker family...

We'll never know.

Edit - Syntax...Isn't it better if you try and fit it all? There is ways of doing this. Me and Val have in fact corrected most of the problems about early versions of the A and B-wing fighters.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Valiento, you forgeth that Lucas' thing about the A-wings also makes no logical sense. If there were A-wings before ANH, why weren't they used at Yavin, or ANYWHERE ELSE other than the Droids cartoon show settings, for that matter? Ditto on B-wings. I couldn't care less about what Lucas "wrote" into a TV program that about 11% of fans have seen. I'll accept the 10+ sources that give the real history on the development of the A-wing and the Shantipole project, which take the REST of the SW continuity into account (as opposed to the Droids TV show)."

They were not used, because at 10 years before, they were more primitive, and there were still very few of them, in existence.

One did exist at the battle of yavin, Commander farrell, who flew one of the first clearing strikes at the death star. Just because the rebels weren't able to get ahold of alot of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Farlander novel/strat has a few a-wings that showed up before pre-ESB redesining. Keyan got ahold of a document from the empire, on his first mission, which documented the a-wings, pre-anh, lesser models.

The creation of the A-wings, you see, in the WEG was a totally overhaul and upgrade, boosting there engines,and giveing them new power generators. there may have not been many on yavin but after yavin they were able to get a large set of them.

4. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, THAT makes sense. If they're not the SAME Walex/Blissex A-wings from the Essential Guide to Vehicles/Vessels, then I suppose I could accept that.

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Good, because you have to. :p

But seriously, they are different. We are unaware of the capabilities of the A-wings in Droids. Only that they were owned and used by Jann Tosh and Jessica Meade, both independant merchants/pilots, and that the Tummuz-an empire had an airforce of them in reserve. Who knows how they got that...

In the game of X-wing ( which begins about 1 year to 6 months prior to ANH ) we see another A-wing. This is either the Droids one ( likely ) or a new model. It includes concussion missiles.

One of those was the one that was designed by Blissex and General Dodonna. Because 6 months after Yavin, Dodonna was captured by the Empire and taken to the Lusankya.

Later, we see another type of A-wing, detailed in the WEG books. It has laser cannons and a sensor jammer. No missiles. ( What does the Essential book say about missiles on that model? If they aren't on the blueprints, it's the WEG A-wing )

This was probably the A-wing that was the best model, the fastest, and was in full production by the time of ROTJ and seen in the film...

As for the B-wing...

The earliest glimpse of it is in the Droids cartoon as well, occasionally flown by Jessica Meade. My idea is that she has a prototype ship.

Shortly after Yavin, Ackbar develops the B-wing. It destroys and captures several Imperial ships in successful missions, but in an ambush, a squadron of B-wings are massacred and the ship has dire setbacks.

Then Ackbar develops the B-wing/E, which has greater firepower and a co-pilot. This is developed in the same area as the first one - the Verpine colonies of Slayn and Korpil, in the Roche asteroid fields. This B-wing is another success, and counteracts the increasing use of Imperial frigates against the Rebels.

By the time of ESB and Endor, the ships are in full production.

6. Jedi_Lila

Jedi_Lila Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 17, 2001
    Man, all this technical talk goes over my heads :)

Sturm, I was just exaggerating about the DS plans. The parts I mentioned are parts *I* don't particularly like about the EU, so I carve them out of my personal timeline. This is all a matter of my own personal preference. Oh, and I also carve CS out, because it sucked! :)

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Sturm:
    THAT makes sense. I'd have had a problem if they were the SAME model, since we know WHEN the A-wing and B-wings that WE know were developed, and it was post-Yavin (as you indicated).

8. Izzi

Izzi Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Bib, I don't know you but I'm gonna give you a piece of advice anyway. You're starting to annoy people with your slightly rude insistence that the way they choose to look at the EU is incorrect. Lighten up a little before it's too late for you.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Izzi...
    There are two facts about the EU which are not opinion.
    1. The EU is Star Wars. It is an expansion of the movies, but Star Wars nonetheless.
    2. The EU exists.

Therefore, anyone who deludes themselves into thinking that the EU is not Star Wars or that it doesn't exist is factually in error. That is, if the person walks by by bookshelf stares directly at my Star Wars EU books (and sees them) yet tells me, "Those stories aren't STar Wars and they don't exist." Then that person is wrong. Simple fact really. No one has to get bent out of shape about it, though.

And as another point on Canon...
    People forget that one EU item has been given special status aside from all other EU items. LFL considers elements of Marvel not in contradiction to be Canon as well. However, we don't necessarily know where it fits in the Canon "heirarchy."

10. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    For me personally, the canon "heirarchy" really doesn't matter at all. Only when I'm speculating on AotC and Episode III. Otherwise, all official SW products are equal grounds for what did or didn't happen. It doesn't matter who wrote what or what came first, to me.

11. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, if you don't have a heirarchy, how do you fix continuity errors? Let's say book 1 says "This specific Victory Star Destroyer was built 20 years before ANH", and then book 2 says "this same VSD was built 3 years after ANH". Which book is right, if they're both on equal ground? I have heirarchies set up, to solve this problem.

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    When something like that happens, you do a continuity fix. Either an author will...or if that never happens...you do it yourself with some fictionalizing. :)

And like I mentioned before...the Star Wars saga is all a legend of sorts. A story told by someone, or some thing, hundreds or thousands of years into the future. The Literature Compendium website has a good take on that and how to view it.

13. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I voted for the last one but I'd just say the movies and novel books are cannon. Throw out those worthless comics and kids books. Why in the name of the Force did we have to have them in the NJO?

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, that's just your opinion JWK. Some people love them. I could say I hate ESB and don't accept it into continuity. That doesn't make it disappear on official timelines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.