main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU vs. Films?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    One easy plot they might want is for Han and Leia's children (or Luke's) to be born soon after ROTJ such that they are running the show by 30 years later. In that event, the EU blows up.

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Not it doesn't Jaina is sitting on the council. It would be far harder for them to bring Jacen back then mess with ages...

3. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    What if Jaina isn't one of those kids?

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Well if the Empire isn't the big bad, she could in theory be in imp space...

Part of me has been wanted a brand new protagonist but it is the Skywalker Saga, which means new generation, new skywalker. They could go with a different name but Ben works, so why change it, unless you just want to give a middle finger to the EU

5. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Since part of the whole new deal with Disney is about producing lots and lots and lots of films, only starting with VII
    I don't think it's that unrealistic that the EU over the next 10-20 years will be largely replaced by a completely film-and-tv based continuity. I mean the timeline is pretty crammed with books already, do you really think there's going to be new books for the next 20 years? All while the celluloid SW grows by 10 more films.
    (I know this point has been stated in one million different ways but anyway..)

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Absolutely, there is a wonderful thing about the EU which is that it inspires the films to a degree. Things like Thrawn and the Rogue Squadron series won't go away. Not to mention, even if they go back and do something they will try and place it in blank spaces in time. Perhaps they shoot to override the Corellia Trilogy or Darksaber or Children of the Jedi... Needless to say, the Thrawn Trilogy would make an AWESOME direct to video film much like the batman films as would the Rogue Squadron series. But I don't want them to sell out that quickly.

Remember the wonderful thing about SW is that it has never been rebooted, things may be retconned but everything continues to live in one form or another. It would be tough for them to do what they often do with the Batman direct to dvd movies where they may be sequels to each other or just film adaptations of a comic arc. If you get something in the Star Wars series it will fit somewhere within the plot of Star War timeline

7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    There will be SW Lucas and SW Disney.
    [JORUUS C'Baoth]<Palpatine>I have FORESEEN it.</Palpatine>[/JORUUS C'Baoth]

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What are you saying?

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    There will be two continuities.
    Both canon.

Either that or complete reboot.

It is inevitable.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I refuse to believe that.

11. MillionthVoice

Jan 28, 2013
    No, I don't think it's going to be rebooted, but I do think 20 years from now Star wars will be a long row of succesful films, and a few TV series. And computer games. And people will say, do you know, they made a long series of books back in the 90's and 00's, and some of them were really good. But they've been out of print for 20 years. Much like the comics they made back in the 80's. But you know this storyline, and that character was originally in a book, but he was killed by a short brown-skinned alien that used to be his bodyguard, not by Lukes daughter, and the original story had some weird cloning going on... And stuff like that.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I can agree with that. I think we will see characters like Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn survive.

P.S. If we can hurry up the Rogue Squadron series I would be infinitely indepted to Star Wars. Bring Stackpole back in to write the scripts, it would be amazing

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    exactly.

14. MillionthVoice

Jan 28, 2013
    I think comic book characters and stuff has a greater chance of penetration actually since it is visual, and after all Star Wars is foremost a visual thing. Who on earth would recognize Ganner Rhysode on screen? K'rukh? So obviously Kyle would absolutely slaughter Corran in a fight for screen time.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    OK way to pick such a minor NJO Jedi and compare them to a fan favorite. You are right that comic would be easier to convert. It was for Vos and Secura in the PT. But I would argue that if they are good enough to get an action figure they will probably make an appearance at somepoint. Kyle would be easily done, beard bryar piston, lightsaber. Corran Horn wouldn't probably even talk. Green robes human male. Yup that is Corran.

I for one would like to see more of the co-op that Dark Horse and Del Rey have been doing with LtotS, Knight Errant, TOR, except you know let K'krukk get page time in a book. Quinlan Vos, yup. I mean I don't mean to say that Vos's story should be continued in book and not comic or anything. I would personally LOVE to see K'krukk on the council in EP 7.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And 20 years ago, how was Star Wars remembered?

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You know the saddest observation in this thread that I actually find myself forced to agree with?

The suggestion that -- irrespective of the fate of the EU -- in another 20 years Star Wars will just exist in the form of films and the books will be those old paper things from the 90s and 00s.

I don't want to agree with that, but the sad truth is I find myself unable not to. And that makes me sad. I like my books. I hate how 90% of the kids who grow up with the ST will only care about whatever "Episode 10" is and never think of picking up a book.

I feel like some bitter old guy bemoaning the death of the abacus.

GrandMasterKatarn and RC-1991 like this.
  18. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I also am saddened that most youngsters...wow did I just say that?... don't read very often or at all when they can watch everything these days. I do know a few who do pick up books, but they are few and far between.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Out of curiosity, do you count reading ebooks as reading books?

Edit
    Zorrixor.

一上一,二上二,三下五去二,四上四。。。

20. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I am 18 and luckily love reading books of any kind, I am glad my parents encouraged it at such a young age.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Vong were interesting villians, it was nice for the Republic/Jedi to fight an evil that isn't related to the Empire or darkside at all.

I also think Chewies death should stay in canon. He is not needed in Episode 7.

So i really hope the NJO era and Legacy era are not retconned out of existence.

I still think there is potential to have Episode 7 set sometime during the legacy era.

Though the trick of doing something like that, is making a film in a way that the Audience doesn't have to pick up an NJO or Legacy era book, or even a New Republic era book, to understand what is going on.

22. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Yes, altho I was really talking about actual paper-bound books. But that's another discussion. In 20 yrs, there will prolly be more e-readers than actual paper-bound readers. As it is now, I know of more e-readers than otherwise. Most of my family has a Kindle or other similar e-formatted readers. There was a mention in Death Star, where the librarian, I forget his name, mentioned something about actual paper-bound media rather than datacards and datapads. I think that will have some meaning in the near future in real life.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  23. MillionthVoice

Jan 28, 2013
    It's very responsible from an environmental point of view though..

24. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    not really, there's a different set of pollutant in the LCDs and electronics, etc.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012