main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Events for october

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Vishnu, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Dark Jedi - We're having an open house next saturday the 25th if you would like to attend that. Afterwards there is a parade we are marching in. Toss on a costume and join the fun!

PS check you PM's

2. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    Thank you Vicky and Karl for yesterday. I know it was a bit chilly but it was a blast

3. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    OK everyone. We have the open house coming up this weekend and afterwards there is a short parade that we hopefully will be attending.

How many of you will be coming to it. I will be there and I think Karl and Vicky will be there also. There will be also a sign up sheet for the kendo to see how many of you will be wanting to do it. Karl and I will also bne showig you a few of the things that I will be teaching you on the course. There will also be tables on costuming and prop making if any of you want to take part in any of those.

We would also like people to bring a dit of food with them to the open house so, can you post what you will be able to bring. I will be making some sandwiches and bringing some diet coke. Please post as soon as you know what you will be doing.

Many thanks

4. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    OK, things are pretty definite that I, Reaf Wolfe, and Darth Arjuna will be there this weekend. We all should be in costume. At this point I haven't given much thought yet to what we will bring (any suggestions?).

5. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Finger foods....cookies....etc.....

I am bringing some dunkin donuts donut holes and a box of joe......

we need paper products as well.......???

6. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    Aaaaaa...donuuuts...(Imagine a Homer Simpson voice along with a little drool)

Chips and cookies? You got it.

7. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    what time are we meeting tomorrow?

8. GrayFox

GrayFox Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    i wish i could come....when do you plan on meeting again??

9. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Where is this again? I heard something about the library, but not much else on "where". Which library, directions, etc.

10. Matrix-Jedi

Matrix-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2003
    Ok, event is on Saturday Oct 25th from 10-12 at the Liverpool Library. Can't give you much more info then this. All I can say is when you get into the village propper, it's on the left.

I think I'm going to show up around 9:30 for setup or whatnot. See you all there.

-K

11. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    everyone check their email I just posted a reminder on the yahoo groups and the addy.
    We cant get into the library till 10 am when the doors open.
    Does everyone know what they r bringing?
    Also remember this is a costumed event :)

I am bringing coffee and donuts.......

We still need paper cups and napkins......any takers?

12. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    I'll see what I have at home. I will be making some sandwiches tomorrow and I have some diet coke and some ginger aloe

13. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Ginger Aloe? LOL

Darth Arjuna's Event Synopsis

Our morning was very hectic. We were disorganized and didn't even know we were in Liverpool- we assumed Fayetteville. We managed to get out of the house around 9:20 (when we wanted to leave at 9:00). We then stood in line at Dunkin Donuts for a half hour waiting for a snack. We got out of there... ten of 10:00.

Uneventful trip to Liverpool. Got there easily enough, etc. From what I understand, nobody much showed up at the Open House before we were there, and the turnout was still very poor through 12:20, when we left to line up for the parade.

We cleaned up after wards and headed to the parade line-up area. Vicky left to get a costume. Alas, that was the last we heard of her. She didn't show up at all afterwards (though we might have been looking in the wrong place). Karl came back and got suited up; he then had to make a return trip for his scarf.

Then Mike showed up.

Mike caught our eye because he was dressed as a Jedi, like most of us. We motioned him over, introduced ourselves, and he seemed very interested in the group. His mother seemed fine with him hanging out with us, which he did- he marched with the Salt City Jedi and hung out with us after the parade. With any luck, he'll be reading our posts tonight and posting!

The parade was very short. A couple blocks, then we turned into the park. It was here that Ian took his leave, and Karl left with him. Net result- the Sherrill contingent, last to arrive there, were the last to leave.

There was a costume contest, and there were five categories: Funniest Costume, Scariest Costume, Most Unique Costume, Family/Group, and Little Ghouls (for the wee ones). We entered in the Family/Group area, and ended up coming in second* (only because it was audience-judged and they had more shills [friends and relatives]).

We stood around and talked with Mike for a while about the group. I went to the car to get my saber blade, and when I came back (I drove back... I have my license now >D), I sw that Gord, Jen, and Mike has done the Pumpkin Toss. At the time, Mike and Jen were 1st and 2nd in the age group, respectively, of which there were only two ;) I took a toss, and ended up 1st* with 38.5 feet. When we left, someone had bumped Jennifer off the board with a 38 (but I still had first).

We then got our picture taken for charity- and it must be us, because the Poloroid didn't work. Turned out that it was out of film. But we got a couple pictures.

Standing there, we lsitened to the music from the booth (I thnik it was Sunny 102). I danced like a fool to "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead", "Scooby-Doo", and "Ghostbusters", to name a few. I also did my blind Sith routine, waving my lightsaber around while wearing my black goggles.

When "Who Let the Dogs Out"** came on, we were walking over to the booths for a snack. I used the lightsaber as a microphone, holding it up to my face and lip-synching. Fun, fun. Then, as the limbo came... :D :D

Jen and I went out with my lightsaber and got a girl at the music booth to limbo. Soon, Jen and the girl were holding it and, due to my Matrix dodge skills, ended up doing wuite well. I probably would have won, if height was scored on percentage of your height- those kids were small! We ended up drawing everybody to that one area. Nobody was even working the pumpkin toss- those guys were standing and watching too.

Shortly after that (lasting about 20 minutes, probably), we left. We had a great time, and were in full costume driving home ;)

*Vicky, we got the feeling that you know the person who arranged the parade. He said to call him at Salt City Signs to claim the awards.

**Who Let the Sith Out (scroll down)

14. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    Arjuna did a good job of summing things up. as a note, the three of us actually hung out with Mike (the Jedi) for a few hours. Arjuna was excellent doing limbo and we all had fun tossing pumpkins. Raef hit the sign on her first two tries, one of them throwing the pumpkin about a minus 1 & 1/2 feet. We had two pictures taken, one of which was Mike's and the other was ours. I'll see if we can get ours posted someplace. They were polaroid, so not real clear. we need to remember to start bringing our digital camera to these things.

A credit to us: I think the Salt City Jedi was the most organized group in the parade. Mike at Salt City Signs (diferent from Mike the jedi), who appeared to be the main organizer, seemed to really appreciate our presence in the parade.

15. Ancient_Guardian

Ancient_Guardian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    ok, I think I'm using this board right. My name is Mike and I met a lot of you today in Liverpool at the parade. Since I was dresed like a jedi, you asked me to join you. Well I have to say I had a lot of fun. I went back at 6 and got the second place award that I won with, as you call them on the board, the Sherrill clan. I have the ribbon that we won for our costumes. If you want it, I can send it to you or bring it to another event. Thanks for including me today. I expected it to be all little kids when my mother made me go with my brother. Instead, I ended up having a great time!

I just read the board. About the polaroid pictures...my mother took a couple of us with her camera and will get them developed tomorrow. I can scan them and send them to you if you'd like...let me know.

16. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Hi Mike and welcome to the boards. Sorry I run after the parade but I had to get back for work. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope you stick around for some of our other meetings.

Again it was nice meeting you.

17. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi Mike! I was the blind Sith there- had a great time. Also, you've come into the boards in a bit of a weird place- Halloween and a few other days around the year allow for new banners for the Jedi Council Forums (this year, known as the Sith Council Forums for a week). It also allows for new icons.

"Me, me, me."

"Me too."

18. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    waaaZZZZZZUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Ello Guardian :) I was the the jedi girl who was there with Padawan and Darth.

I SO could't thrown a pumpkin longer....stupid sign...is it my fault I always threw softballs high and hard...*mutters to self*

Yeah, a camera would've been cool. It was quite interesting to see Darth limbo-ing when he's 6 feet tall...and holding food....oh, wait. How is his holding food any different from normal? :D

19. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Lol, yeah, he said, "Don't try this at home kids, this is a trained professional, holding a hot sausage from [name of hot dog stand]." That was pretty funny.

"Me, me, me."

"Me too."

20. Ancient_Guardian

Ancient_Guardian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2003
    yeah , i was on the board for about a half hour last night, and i got an idea of who you guys were by reading the board and going to your websites.

21. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    Welcome Mike! It was great hanging out with you yesterday. If you didn't know, I'm the old geezer.

P.S.: Since every one else is changing icons, i figured I would. I picked the 'old fossil' one, thinking its appropriate since I get refered to as him at parades sometimes.

22. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Hm. Should've gotted one of the special Halloween ones ;)

23. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Why? I think my icon looks like me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.