main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Falcon's Art--Index Pg.1--Replies and Update [04/05/09]: Darth Caedus... :(

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FalconFan, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I've been a long-time "lurker" here in the Fan Art forum, admiring everyone's fantastic work and efforts--and I'm so impressed with the great critique that's offered that I'm finally going to post a few of my own humble efforts, and see what happens. I just "goof" with this stuff--for my own pleasure, mostly--but I think I need some constructive critique to start improving (it's been years since art classes...) ;). Thanks for taking a look------

FF

This first is my most recent piece, done from a reference photo of Luke, and then finished from imagination. I love the idea of "quality family time" for the Skywalkers...

[image=http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3989/maralukebennjo4mj.jpg]

This one is of Leia, from ROTJ, just after Luke tells her Vader is his father--I love the look on her face in this shot! Again--from a reference photo:

[image=http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2251/leiarotjss9.jpg]

The last one is of Kyp Durron (the face is from a magazine photo that seemed "to fit..."):

[image=http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6531/kypdurronnjock8.jpg]
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Here's an index for the rest of my thread (for anyone that's looking for a specific piece, or just doesn't want to have to wade through the entire thread!):

Original Trilogy Characters:

Han Solo "It's Worse" (ANH)
    Leia (ESB)
    Han & Leia (ESB)
    Han & Chewbacca (ANH)
    Darth Vader (ESB)
    Luke "Unlearning" (ESB)
    Princess Leia (ANH)
    Han Solo "It Can Wait" (ESB)
    Princess Leia (ANH)
    Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)

Prequel Trilogy Characters:

Qui Gonn Jinn (TPM)
    Droideka (AOTC)
    Obi Wan (AOTC) on Kamino platform
    Anakin & Padme (AOTC)
    Sabe, Padme & Handmaidens "Handmaiden Disguise" (AOTC)
    Count Dooku "The Count" (AOTC)
    Anakin Skywalker (ROTS)
    Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader "Dark Price" (ROTS)
    Obi Wan & Padme "Revelations" (ROTS)
    Padme "How Liberty Dies" (ROTS)
    Master Obi Wan Kenobi (AOTC)
    Palpatine & Anakin "False Promises" (ROTS)
    Padme (ROTS)

EU Characters:

Han Solo (ca. NJO)
    Han Solo #2 (ca. NJO)

2. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Very nice, FalconFan. You captured their facial characteristics very well. Kyp does... fit. :)

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    One word: Wow! :eek:

Those drawings are fantastic! The one of the Skywalker family is my favorite. :D

Like Cheveyo said, the way you have captured the faces really brings your drawings to life. It looks like they are actually living and breathing. And you also have a real attention to detail. I'm REALLY diggin' these drawings! You said you just do these for fun? Do you have any plans of entering the art field? You really have the talent and I truly believe you could be successful. :)

*waves hand around* You will post more or you will be banned! :p

4. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    These are THE best original close-up drawings of the OT character's I have seen!

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Those are excellent illustrations which convey the emotions perfectly.

Great work!

-Seldon

6. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    I'm just going to echo HanSolo29's words.

Wow.

I can really tell that Leia just got that news. And that Skywalker family one...so touching. I love all three of those pics. They're great. :D

7. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Wow, that's really good. No, it's amazing actually.

8. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I wish I could draw portraits that well. :_|

Fabulous work, btw. =D=

9. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Ditto everything everybody before me said! :eek:

10. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Those are magically delicious. Very nice feel. A certain indefinable warmth. Lovelyness.

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow! Thanks, everyone (and from all the people I admire and respect the most in this forum...) *bows with humility* !

Cheveyo--Much gratitude for the first response--and a kind one at that (thanks for the feedback on Kyp, too!)! ;)

HanSolo29--Madamoiselle Moderator, I am exceedingly grateful for your response: your work is fabulous, and your feedback/critique in this forum is constant inspiration to everyone who receives it--thank you! [face_blush]

Darth Deception--Thank you for the wonderful words! (I have seen better, over in the Fan Art Museum--but thank you just the same!) ;)

Darth Seldon--Thank you, Sir--emotions are something that come from the original photo/picture, I think--I feel extremely lucky that you can see it in the reproduction!

Rocie--I have so admired the progress and efforts you've made and continue to make--thank you so much!

Vaders Mistress--Thank you, my Lady! [face_blush]

DarthShona--*Blush* From another, whose work I truly admire and respect! Many thanks, DarthShona!

Daughter of the Force--I've looked through your work, as well--wonderful! :) Thank you for your sweet words!

THEFORCE16--And yet another illustrious contributor to the forum--many thanks!

I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the feedback, everyone...I...don't know what to say--except thank you! *bows humbly to those who inspire* ;)

FF

12. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Great pic of luke and Family. It is great. I like how you included their son Ben.

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Many thanks, Jediloren--I actually have to admit inspiration for that picture from another I saw in the Fan Art Museum, of Luke, Mara and their infant son--another lovely drawing of them together, "napping!" This, I guess, is more of just a "dozing cuddle..." :)

Alright--to appease Mme. Moderator (*bows to HS29*) ;), I'm putting up a few more:

My own rendition of an older Han Solo, NJO--it was done on more coarse paper--thus, the rougher look:
    [image=http://img136.exs.cx/img136/5631/hansolonjo6sp.jpg]
    I've been a fan of Jacen Solo for a while, and was inspired by TUF to try some drawings of him, all grown up:
    [image=http://img136.exs.cx/img136/6822/jacensolonjo4yu.jpg]

Another inspiration from TUF: the Solo twins, just before the climactic battle:
    [image=http://img144.exs.cx/img144/3293/jeditwinsnjo9rp.jpg]
    (Lightsabers in graphite pencil...hmmm...)

Thanks again everyone! :D

FF

14. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm very impressed with your work. Your ability to capture a personality and convincingly convey it is just wonderful.

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks, THEFORCE16--man, I just checked out your last post in your thread (the Vader study)--OMG.. *bows in deference*

FF

16. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Very nice portrait style artwork you have there FalconFan! :)

Nice to have a new artist around here as well! Keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your artwork.

Later,
    DZ

17. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Excellent drawings! I never pictured Han Solo with Sam Malone hair. See what happens when we get older? We lose all sense of style. Ha! ;)

I think you did a wonderful job of capturing the intensity of the approaching battle with the Solo twins. they feel very static. Very apprehensive....pensive, I think, is the word I'm trying to think of.

18. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Wow, that really is great stuff. I especially like the Luke & family picture and the NJO Han. It's amazing how well you can capture a likeness. Keep up the great work!

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    DarthZemog--Many thanks, DZ, for your kind words and welcome! Yours is one of the threads I have always "lurked" in, drooling over your fantastic pieces! Figures are somthing that still elude me (thus, all the portraits!), and your work is all about that, so I "study" there a lot! [face_blush]

Cheveyo--Sam Malone hair!! [face_laugh] I didn't see that until now--hilarious! I appreciate your feedback--it's important to know what the objective viewer sees, rather than just one's own observations--thanks!

ConcordDawn--Thank you! I, too, like the idea of just some "quiet cuddle time" for Luke and the family--they've had so little of it! :)

Again--thanks to everyone who's responded to my stuff. You've all made me feel very welcome! [face_blush]

FF

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, that Han portrait just jogged my memory. I remember seeing that one in the Fan Art Museum a while back and I really loved it then. Excellent work!

I also have to comment on the one of the Solo twins. The expressions on their faces really takes you into the moment and makes the drawing. You can really see the tension and perhaps fear in their eyes.

21. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Great pic of the twins before the battle Falcon Fan. It captures the mood very well.

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks, HS29--That's the "mood" I was hoping to convey: apprehension, determination, and a little fear--they didn't know what, exactly, they were going to meet.

Thanks for taking a look, Jediloren--the more objective opinions, the better! I appreciate the feedback!

Does anyone have any suggestions on improving the work? I'm a willing student in this forum, and will listen attentively, I promise! :D

FF

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    What great work you do FalconFan!
    You have a great way of capturing expressions and moods in your character's faces. They all have presence. I was really touched by the tenderness in the portrait of Luke, Mara and Ben.
    And the urgency in the faces of Jacen and Jaina in that last portait...wonderful! =D=

I really like your style. :)

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm always impressed by people who can capture a likeness. I particularly like the Leia sketch, the amount of detail in the hair is frightening! I don't really see any shortcomings, so no helpfull criticism I'm afraid.

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Obi-Dawn--Thank you for your comments--I was just over in your thread, drooling over the "Picnic Padme..." Sigh...beautiful! Maybe I'll get around to costume detail someday! ;)

Soitscometothis--ROTJ Leia was one that took many hours to complete, and I appreciate your kind words--thank you! Let's see more of your stuff over in your thread! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.