main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film Awards Show discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Interim_Jareth, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Macho,Duality's music was taken directly from TPM.

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Duality was rescored by Alan Derian a while ago, so the music is actually original, even if the movie still wasn't allowed...

3. Kador

Kador Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2001
    "I'm glad it went to someone from Britain"
    whats that crack supposed to mean eh :p
    Anyways, Xmas Tauntauns reminds me a bit of some old old CGI with Bobby McFerrin singing. As for good ole GL, umm, he did seem to be a bit out of it, umm.

4. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Y'know, as one of the filmmakers who has something on BOTH this contest AND here on TF.N, I'm getting a little tired of this "they didn't allow TF.N films in, so they must all be crap" attitude... well, they took TF.N filmMAKERS... two of us, counting me and Jeremy West... Granted, that crap comment came from a newbie, but I've been reading disparaging comments about the entries for some time now... "they didn't want the best, they wanted what they could get..."

And there's some stuff in that contest that TF.N probably *WOULD* have hosted had the contest not come along... Azeem's already told me Vader would've gotten hosted here if the contest didn't accept it... I could see Battle of Hoth being hosted here easily, as it's that good, and ORIGINAL... first fanfilm I've seen in that style... I could see SW Project, JarJar's Walking Papers, Figure Club, and yes, even Christmas Tauntauns showing up here as well if they'd been submitted, as the quality is up to what we've come to expect from the TF.N films, IMHO... (note: I am not one who would make these decisions, just my own personal take based on what's been accepted before...)

Look, keeping wishing that stuff like DUALITY could have been entered isn't going to change things... it's been made clear many times over that Lucasfilm *cannot* legally appear to endorse a fiction fanfilm, as that would call their copyrights on the characters and situations into question... they're NEVER going to allow that... NEVER...

On the question of Power of the Sith and Sparring Program, I can see those being classified parodies... more of a style parody in the case of Sparring, but still enough to work for me... and Power of the Sith was just cute... I mean, c'mon, popsicles? :)

As to why some of the winners were excluded from the program, I've been told by someone at AtomFilms that those decisions (and the inclusion/editing of the commercial parodies) were made by the editing staff and the show producers at SciFi for general entertainment value... read into that what you will... :D

Overall, I think this contest will help things for fan filmmakers... I just did a Google search on "Star Wars Fan Films" and guess what were the first two entries? TF.N Theater and then TF.N... Atom was down at #4... it's going to help drive people here eventually...

Fenn

And they're going to do this again, y'know... so if you feel slighted by the contest, start thinking NOW about what you can do to get in on the next one... you know the ground rules, you know the restrictions... and you've probably got THREE YEARS to figure out something that will work within those guidelines... if you didn't like these, go make something that blows these away! I wanna see it... :D (really!)

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Kador,

On the last segment (the Lucasfilm select) George Lucas talks about Christmas Tauntauns winning, and the last thing he said was that line, great quote I thought :D

Anyway, just to add to the mystery and intrigue of the entire thing, I just got an email from Unclepain saying that Atomsfilm had contacted him and requested that the uploaded segments be removed. So they have been. If you didn't get them, you ain't going to now :(

The saga continues....

6. Gavin_Valarion

Gavin_Valarion Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2001
    Chiristmass tautons god why. George has to stop it with the cgi charactors. First Jar Jar now a snobby gril who wants starwars toys. I can only two things george is a cheap #@#$ who only carea about makeing money from his movies becuse this movie talk about a product not the sprit of the flimes. Or he is ubsesed with cgi charactors. (Not that the animation was bad) What ever it is they should take starwars away from him. It obisous that he is going senial in his old age. Give the rights to star wars to timmothy Zhan or Kevin J anderson. but Gegorge come on buddy there are so many better fan movies. Stop werring about people makeing money off characots they invted to you story.

7. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I watched it not expecting to see any of my film, "Wan-Abi" since it was a runnerup. I was shocked by how much they showed. All of us were freaking out. We got a few more films planned now. maybe we will send them to TFN fan films.

8. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    I was surprised that they didn't even mention StarGeeks, Figure Club, or A New Dope at all, even though they won awards. They showed a few shots from StarGeeks, but to not mention them at all was kind of wierd. I'm sure they're crying all the way to the bank to deposit their $1000 checks. They took extra time showing the Documentary/Mockumentary entries, but they didn't air SW Project. I guess even 12 minutes was concidered too long for the show's hour long format.

9. drawmarkee

drawmarkee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2002
    You rock, Oscar! ;) I was so excited for you when they showed your clips, especially "Okay, now he's KILLING you," and "I have no idea what that has to so with Star Wars, but that's going in my movie..." Very funny.

I really didn't expect to see as much of SW Project as we did, so I'm pleased. I was getting nervous that they wouldn't show it at ALL, since it was near the end and they hadn't shown those other three categories ... as I've said, SWP was not meant for a broad audience. SciFi showed the Legos because they knew the audience would like that part of it, and that's cool with me.

Greg

10. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Um, will there be a DVD maybe of the Fan Film Awards, hopefully with all the full versions runners up and what not? That would be nice if...

11. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    I know all of you like to pretend you are big tough men who have to exude manliness in every breath, but you really should know better.

Taun Tauns won on any number of fronts: Fantastic amatuer animation, great premise (that little girl was all of us at one time, and dont you dare deny it)

The movie crowd that judges films by how many people get killed or how many bare breasts are seen is just a bunch of 14 year olds, and it is tired and whining and immature. Movies can be smarter, and TAUN TAUNS was. If you want mindless violence, there are plenty of lousy fanfilms out there to choose from, may I recommend DARK REDEMPTION, which has great FX and little else.

Stop the whining, and make a film with a heart to it. SW had one.

12. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Say what you will about the contest rules and awards, you can't complain about the respectful attention fanfilms have been getting as a result. I understand the Oregonian (is that your paper, Greg? I can't seem to remember.) did a write-up on Greg and his SW Project. Now our paper's got an article on us. http://www.idahonews.com/popup.htm

13. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    You know, I saw the coolest thing the other day . . . .

I was in Border's Books/Music and I saw a DVD for STARWOIDS.
    Right on the DVD cover, it had a quote from "TheForce.net"

I thought that was very cool ... to have TFN on a nationally distributed product. :D

14. vpt_

vpt_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    hey the awards were nice. k.smith did a nice job...i think the reason GL chose that movie as the finalist cuz it wasnt really too biased. he wanted to stay neutral or whatever.

i wonder why they didnt add BROKEN ALLIANCE, that movie was GREAT! in every aspect.

-later.

15. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I got my honorable mention certificate from Lucasfilm a week or two ago it was really cool I was surprised to get it. Does anyone think they will hold these awards again? We have several ideas we'd like to try. I probably should say what they are just yet.

Hey Draw I will try to email you again in the next few days. Let me know how things are going?

16. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    Oscar:
    I got mine just a few days before Ep2 premiered, so I would assume all the runners-up have gotten theirs by now... why were you surprised? They'd said in the emails to all the contestants about the ceremony that they'd be sending out certificates to the runners-ups in all the categories...

I've been told that they're definitely planning on doing this again in time for Episode III... but they're considering making it yearly, although I personally don't think that'll happen... besides, I don't want to wait three years to do my next project... I'd rather do it this year and get it up here on TF.N... but that's just me... :D

Back to the certificate, tho... since Lucasfilm only made it out to me, I scanned it and remade a version for everyone else involved in Vader's Hotline that lists them on the certificate as well... got those printed, and I'm sending them out this weekend, along with some awfully cool full-size Vader's Hotline movie posters I made up for the cast members... should be a nice suprise for most of them... :D

Fenn

17. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Tac:

That quote is from me.

Fenn:

I'm sure Atomfilms justs loves you.

"Ok, I submitted to them for their contest... but I'm still going home to TFN FanFIlms"

18. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, yeah... :D Lowell and I still have another idea we want to do, and we're still considering doing another CRAZY WATTO... ain't gonna submit 'em anywhere else...
    Vader's Hotline would've been made for TF.N has the contest not come along... and it's only the rules of the contest (and the contract) that keeps me from submitting it here as well... but come January 2006 if you guys want it, it's yours... :D

Fenn

19. Meetervision

Meetervision Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2001
    Saw the award show and thought it was pretty good. The animation for Christmas Taun Tauns was done very well, although, I just couldn't stand the song. It sounded like something out of a weird dream. It just gave me the creeps. Seemed like something Tim Burton would make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.