main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Fan Film Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by VoijaRisa, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Since the old thread has become buried and is very cluttered, Dajuan and I agreed that I should start a new thread.

A long time ago I proposed the idea of making a St Louis Fan Force Fan Film. A lot of people seemed excited about the idea but beyond a vague idea for the script and a whole bunch of people saying "I want to be in it" not much was figured out.

But now I've gotten a bit more experience under my belt, a camera of my own to film with, and a computer that can handle some serious video editing. So it's looking like making a fan film could be much more of a possibility.

As some of you know I've been working slowly but steadily on a Matrix fan film. That film is currently in production and moving slowly because of all the school work I have.

However, this summer I'm hoping to have enough time to be able to film the script I wrote last time I proposed a film.

Just to refresh that plot:

It is somewhere between 100-900 years before the Clone Wars. The Sith are into the whole "one master, one apprentice" bit. But the current master has died leaving his apprentice to find an apprentice of his own. So he selects a promising young padawan to convert.

He sets up a small crisis on a planet near the one the padawan is training on with a group of other Jedi. To help resolve the problem, the Jedi decide to send the padawan's best friend. The Sith, having set this all up, kills the friend. He then returns to the planet of the padawan to report the death. The padawan grieves for awhile but the Sith (disguised as a regular person) tells him that his friends death was a waste. The padawan starts then calling into question the wisdom of the Jedi order thinking he could run things better.

When another crisis (again set up by the Sith) arises, it is decided that the padawan should deal with it. Remembering his friend's death, he feels that his situation isn't worthy of having a Jedi involved. Secretly he also fears that he could meet the same fate as his friend. Advising him from the shadows, the Sith tells him that he should refuse the mission, which he ends up doing. He gets into an argument with his master and they end up fighting. The padawan gives into his fear and anger and kills his master.

The Sith then steps out to congradulate him. The padawan declares that he was more powerful than his master anyway and that the weak do not deserve to live. The Sith then questions his power and challenges him to a lightsaber duel. The Sith wins hands down, but does not kill the padawan. Instead he tells him that there is much to still learn if he is willing. The padawan accepts and becomes the Sith's new apprentice. They then destroy the rest of the Jedi and get rid of all the evidence.

Shortly thereafter, other Jedi show up to investigate why the colony stopped communicating but are unable to find the cause. All are presumed dead which is where the film will end.

In the script there are 8 speaking parts. They all call for people of various ages and even the younger people in our group could be put in roles of extras. I've already figured out who will play some of them. Others I've yet to figure it out.

The characters with speaking lines (in order of appearance) are:
    Sith Master
    Skyrax - Sith Master (the former apprentice)
    Jaran ? Padawan of Master Lannic
    Rhyy ? Young Jedi Padawan
    Lannic Sarprin ? Jedi Master
    Callif ? Friend of Jaran, Jedi Master
    Jedi ? A Jedi from Coruscant
    Jedi Master ? A Jedi Master from Coruscant

I have already figured out who will play Jaran, Lannic, and Callif. I think I've got Skyrax too but have to still make sure that the person is still interested.

The remaining roles I've yet to fill. The Sith Master must be someone very old. Any one with grandparents into Star Wars? Rhyy should be around 14-16. He becomes a padawan in the process of the film. I've also yet to figure out who the Jedi and Jedi Master on Coruscant will be. The Jedi Master needs to be older but the Jedi just needs to be 20's or older. There

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Since I already have a part I won't worry about that. I will volunteer for costuming and make-up. I have skill with both.

3. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I'll fill whatever part you need keeping in mind I'm 20 and a semi-experienced actor (did about 10 plays/musicals in high school) and have a decent amount of television on-camera experience (just my high-school and college programs, but it's still experience). If you want me to record a demo from the script, just let me know.

I also volunteer to be assistant director and/or camera operator. Although I haven't really studied any film techniques, I've been spending all semester studying television stuff.

I would also help with whatever visual effects shots you need. I'm not that experienced with AE, but I know enough to do the basics. Plus I learn new techniques very easily.

As far as the locations go, your best bet might be to find someone in either the Fan Films or Sci-fi 3D forums to do sets for you and just key the actors onto them. We've been seeing more and more well integrated 3D sets lately. I imagine it wouldn't even be that hard if you know what you're doing. There's tons of models already made for stuff like that and all you'd have to do is light them and load the camera info from Icarus.

4. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Sounds like a lot of fun. If you would need me for anything, let me know. Bad thing is my availability is pretty much limited to the weekends.

I wish I still had my summers off.

5. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    i would like to play Rhyy, i am 15 so i am right in the middle of the age limit. i take a drama class at DeSmet so i have some experience with acting and all of its requirements. i would be available all summer long, i just have the problem with rides, but im sure that will be resolved quickly

6. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    your best bet might be to find someone in either the Fan Films or Sci-fi 3D forums to do sets for you and just key the actors onto them

Buy me a camera that has better resolution than mine and a nice flat bluescreen and I'm in.

7. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    touché, salesman

Edit: what camera do you have? you can still pull some pretty clean keys from even lower quality cameras using DV Matte Pro. It even does lightwrapping for you.

8. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I've got a Sharp Mini DV VL-NZ100U. Very cheap.

9. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I'll hold the cue cards :p

10. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Cue Cards = bad.

Tried them once in another film. It's really obvious the person is reading.

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    You mean I'm going to have to memorize lines?!?!? Guess I can do that. One of these days I will read the script, probably after school.

12. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    so is it cool if i am Rhyy?

13. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    As long as your parents will let you do some travelling. There's a scene where Callif and Rhyy are killed by Skyrax and pushed off a cliff into a river. There's a nice location I've found, but it's about a 40 minute drive down 44.

If you'll be able to go that far, you're more than welcome to the part.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I can offer rides to the NO CO people. Please only volunteer if you really will be able to make it. I will be happy to meet parents as usually if necessary.

15. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Here is a copy of the script. If you're interested in a part, read it.

16. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I was being sarcastic :p

17. YamaTheHutt

YamaTheHutt Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2004
    I have always wanted to do a fan film I would be glad to help in any way I can. A player in my gaming group and I where just talking about making a fan film based on the Campaign we ran for five years. What do you need make-up, costumes, actor, props, extras? Just let me know what I can do to help. This could prove be a good learning experience for our future endeavor.
    Yama The Hutt

18. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Everything I need has been mentioned in previous posts. I need actors the most but I'm not someone that will cast someone who doesn't physically fit the role. Thus, how old are you?

19. YamaTheHutt

YamaTheHutt Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2004
    I am 24. I can post a pic if that would help.
    Yama The Hutt

20. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    like I said, I'm 20 and here's a couple of pretty current pics of me

edited by request

21. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I'm pretty interested in getting in this fan film also. I don't have current pics of me uploaded yet, but I will soon.

BTW, I also have a plan for a fan film.

Scoke's Fan Film

It's just a plan... I didn't want to really make the plans public, like posting them at the fan film boards here, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to post the link here. I don't want anyone to copy the idea, I guess. ;)

22. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I don't have permission to access your boards. :p

Anyway, Yama and Brian, once I get back from class I'll take a look at what I'm needing and let everyone know.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Oooo, we could put Yama on costuming with me. BTW Jon, I'm calling a spot as your personal assistant if that's alright.

24. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I get a personal assistant?! This moovie's gunna ROCK!

Anyway....

Here's what I'm thinking for cast right now

Sith Master ? ?(anyone have a grandparent that likes SW?)
    Skyrax ? Jeff (not a fan force member)
    Jaran ? Jon
    Rhyy ? Dudeman
    Lannic Sarprin ? Dajuan
    Callif ? Brian or Yama (who's the better actor and can use a lightsaber?)
    Jedi ? ?
    Jedi Master ? ?
    Extras - Anyone else

I'm still needing people to help me find locations to use.

Also, as you can see, there's quite a few Jedi costumes necessary. I've got enough for 2-3 complete ones. But will probably need more. It looks like I'll be back in StL next friday so I'll start putting more thought into it then, once I'm home and can see exactly what I have/need.

And Dajuan, I need to make you that lightsaber. So draw me up some designs so I know what I'm making. And if anyone else wants me to make them a custom lightsaber for this film, let me know.

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll start drawing. Also don't forget Randy is willing to grow that beard for you. Just give him a week and he'll be ready. I think he was to be a Jedi Master.

Just tell me when you need the costumes by (gaah, I'm going to go crazy this summer).

Oooo as an assistant, I get ot boss people around GREAT!! My favorite job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.